The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-12-2014, 07:03 AM

I have a little mental video of GC employees horsing around in the work area where the guitar was and inadvertently pressing a body part into the front of the guitar causing the damage.

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that is true, but what makes this thought so compelling is the level of incompetence required to damage the guitar in this manner via improper clamping or clean up.

In my mine this was likely far beyond incompetent repair and strongly suggests blatant disregard of customer property i their trust.

There is only one way to 'uncrack' the top... replace it!

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 08-12-2014, 07:13 AM

Cool Guitar Center Cracked My Guitar!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I'm at a loss as to how one cracks a top while performing this very simple repair: I'm conjecturing that they tried to clamp the bridge to the top by placing the clamp across the top and back of the instrument and then squeezing. With excessive deflection of the top due to the squeezing, it cracked. If so, this is, in my opinion, incompetence.
There is ONLY one way to resolve this, because a repaired crack lowers the guitar's resale value and would probably affect the tone.

A store credit for the ORIGINAL COST of the guitar is the only acceptable solution IMO, and anything short of that is ridiculous! Otherwise, it's off to small claims court. You don't own them a dime!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 08-12-2014, 01:22 PM

i wanna change what i first said.

the bridge repair was $120 its a $400 guitar, that makes it a $280 guitar plus the repair money of $120 get a new one for $120 + tax on the $120 only
Old 08-12-2014, 01:41 PM

Default Guitar Center was Great

Hi all. I went into Guitar Center with trepidation but they were great. My plan was to mention all the great ideas I got from Acoustic Guitar Forum (1300 views, 48 replies) and I think I should get a new guitar or you pay me for the old one. I got a new guitar (Cordoba C7) and didn't pay a dime. They butchered the top of my last guitar. It was so bad I couldn't believe it. Sorry I don't have a picture. I think part of the reason I got a new guitar was how bad they did the repair job. (two cracks, multiple scratches, etc) Anyway, Chris at the La Mesa California Guitar Center was fantastic and I think I was treated with fairness and respect. I am also very impressed with this forum and want to thank everyone who took the time to think about my problem.

Will
Old 08-12-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily5malcolm4 View Post
Hi all. I went into Guitar Center with trepidation but they were great. My plan was to mention all the great ideas I got from Acoustic Guitar Forum (1300 views, 48 replies) and I think I should get a new guitar or you pay me for the old one. I got a new guitar (Cordoba C7) and didn't pay a dime. They butchered the top of my last guitar. It was so bad I couldn't believe it. Sorry I don't have a picture. I think part of the reason I got a new guitar was how bad they did the repair job. (two cracks, multiple scratches, etc) Anyway, Chris at the La Mesa California Guitar Center was fantastic and I think I was treated with fairness and respect. I am also very impressed with this forum and want to thank everyone who took the time to think about my problem.

Will
thats great!
use it in good health
Old 08-12-2014, 01:51 PM

Default Great to hear...

Very glad to see that Guitar Center stepped up and took care of you. Congratulations on your unexpected NGD!

I know Guitar Center gets beaten up a lot on this forum, and I have certainly had my issues with them, but overall I've only had one or two unpleasant experiences in one of their stores over the past 20 years.

I am fortunate to have a lot of local guitar shops here in Austin and purchased things in two of them this weekend alone (a new Tele at Austin Vintage Guitars, a new Blue Chip pick at Fiddler's Green). But I'd say half of my guitar stable came from GC. I've just learned to ask for more of a discount, look CAREFULLY for "wall rash" from guitars that have been abused by yahoos and SAY NO NO NO to the "Pro Coverage" shenanigans.

Enjoy your new guitar!

Adam
Old 08-12-2014, 01:58 PM

Nice to hear they stepped up and made things right. I have been in the La Mesa store many times and while I haven't had any repair or setup work done, I haven't had any of the horror stories I hear about from other stores.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molder View Post
From a legal standpoint I think they have to return a guitar in the same condition as the one they received....I don't think they aren't legally obligated to do anything, but it seems like they are willing to make some amends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
You contradict yourself.

They received the guitar uncracked. They are, by your admission, obligated to return it uncracked.

It is now cracked.

They, therefore have to "make it uncracked"
Fazool, he said he doesn't think they aren't legally obligated to do anything, which is consistent with his first sentence. The double negative makes it a bit awkward, though
Old 08-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Fazool, he said he doesn't think they aren't legally obligated to do anything, which is consistent with his first sentence. The double negative makes it a bit awkward, though
Oh, my apologies - I must have mis-read it.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 08-12-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Hi all. I got a new guitar (Cordoba C7) and didn't pay a dime.

Will
Okay you didn't get pictures of the old one they busted... there is NO EXCUSE for not doing a NGD with pics!

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 08-12-2014, 02:33 PM

Default Guitar Center Cracked My Guitar Top

That's awesome, great to hear they made it right. Just a thought, didn't you want to take that credit, add a couple of bucks and upgrade? Just something I would've considered.

Never heard that C7, but I know cordoba ukes are well built. Congrats.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Even though your guitar isn't technically expensive to begin with I would still say that a repaired crack to the top is going to impact the value of the guitar than having a bridge repaired. On that basis alone I would think that they should do more than just offer you half price for the repair of the bridge, which IMO is overpriced.

Furthermore, you are being unnecessarily inconvenienced here as well. All things considered, they should return the guitar to you fully repaired at no cost at all.

OH>>>> I just read the part about GC making it up to you. Great news. That was the right thing for them to do.

Last edited by Toby Walker; 08-12-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Will, very glad this worked out for you. Tip of the hat to GC as well for doing the right thing.

The Cordoba organization is located in Oxnard, CA...not that this guitar was built there...but at least the mfg's offices are a lot closer to you.

Uh, pictures?
Old 08-12-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Will
Fantastic! I'm glad it worked out for you and GC stepped up and did you right! Have fun with that C7!

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 08-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Glad to hear they stepped up and made it right for you. Enjoy the new one!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitarcenter, kremona, repair