The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 04-18-2017, 08:02 PM

Saw JP at Hershey a few weeks ago. He dedicated Souvenirs to my recently deceased sister. It was freaking awesome.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch2017 View Post
Saw JP at Hershey a few weeks ago. He dedicated Souvenirs to my recently deceased sister. It was freaking awesome.
Winch, bummer, I hadn't heard he lost his sister. Sorry to hear that. For those of you who don't know Steve Goodman, he was JP's best friend out of Chicago, but Steve died at 36 from leukemia in 1984. For decades John dedicated that song to Steve because they often toured together, Steve opening, and then John would invite him out in the middle of the set for "Souvenirs." John's lifelong agent, Al Bunetta, died two years in Nashville, so last time I saw him he said after the song, "That's for Steve Goodman and Al Bunetta." Again, I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of John's sister.

sm
Old 04-18-2017, 09:25 PM

Scott, I think Winch implied JP dedicated the song to his (Winch's) sister. Sorry to hear of the loss either way. I think we all think of those we've lost when we play Souvenirs.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Scott, I think Winch implied JP dedicated the song to his (Winch's) sister. Sorry to hear of the loss either way. I think we all think of those we've lost when we play Souvenirs.
Bart, thanks for correcting me; I was in a rush and read his post too fast.

Winch, please accept apology for my misread and my deepest condolences to you and your family over the loss of your sister. There are no words. May you find comfort in the traditions of your family and your loved ones.

My Very Kindest Regards,
Scott
Old 04-18-2017, 11:06 PM

Another great story about the beginning of Prine's career is his account of playing out in New York for the first time, after his first album was recorded but before its release. He ran into Bob Dylan, who already knew the words to Prine's songs because Dylan had loved an advance copy he'd been given.

The man's a treasure - belongs on the Mount Rushmore of American singer-songwriters for sure.

And I'm seeing him at Red Rocks in June!
Old 04-18-2017, 11:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
Another great story about the beginning of Prine's career is his account of playing out in New York for the first time, after his first album was recorded but before its release. He ran into Bob Dylan, who already knew the words to Prine's songs because Dylan had loved an advance copy he'd been given.

The man's a treasure - belongs on the Mount Rushmore of American singer-songwriters for sure.

And I'm seeing him at Red Rocks in June!
Koop, never heard that Dylan story. Well, he oughta know. I heard "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" on the radio today. What a monster talent.

I don't know why it's not on his tour page, but John is also playing the Kate Wolf festival in late June in NorCal.

http://katewolfmusicfestival.com/2017-lineup/

sm
Old 04-18-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Koop, never heard that Dylan story. Well, he oughta know. I heard "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" on the radio today. What a monster talent.

sm
Scott, you should listen to this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15A0OfXZWJM
Old 04-19-2017, 01:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Scott, you should listen to this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15A0OfXZWJM
Tried - but there's only so much of a shouty American DJ that a Brit can stand. DNL
Old 04-19-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Nobody, that's who.

John could easily have been a stand-up comic if the music thing didn't pan out. For those of you who have never heard the "Happy Enchilada" story, here's a hilarious clip from YT. I'm not gonna be a spoiler. The joke and story comes near the end of the clip.

Enjoy!

sm

What a great way to start the day! Thanks for sharing this. Singing, songwriting, guitar playing, it's all about storytelling and connecting. Few do it as good as John Prine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 04-19-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Tried - but there's only so much of a shouty American DJ that a Brit can stand. DNL

Yes, Maron's manner can be an acquired taste, but he his generally regarded as an excellent interviewer in his own idiosyncratic way. He usually interviews comedians, but he's also a true music lover and shows great taste in the musicians he has on. He might not be the most knowledgeable Prine fan in the world, but his respect/awe of Prine shined through, and he elicited some great stories, I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2017, 05:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Yes, Maron's manner can be an acquired taste, but he his generally regarded as an excellent interviewer in his own idiosyncratic way. He usually interviews comedians, but he's also a true music lover and shows great taste in the musicians he has on. He might not be the most knowledgeable Prine fan in the world, but his respect/awe of Prine shined through, and he elicited some great stories, I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, off-putting for sure at first, but it settles in once the interview begins. Thanks for posting that.

sm
Old 04-19-2017, 08:13 PM

He's playing at the Kate Wolf Music Festival in June. I am so looking forward to seeing him live.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 04-24-2017, 12:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

On the Kate Wolf thing, I have a friend who goes to a lot of festivals. She sleeps with friends overnight at the front gate, to get the best seats up front. Just a thought. JP's the greatest.

sm
Old 04-28-2017, 10:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Been really enjoying the responses here, so thought I'd give it a little bump to hear more.

Thanks, Everyone,
Scott
Old 04-28-2017, 05:16 PM

Just a story here:

I play (in addition to guitar) Irish traditional fiddle. I was in the tiny western Irish town of Kinvara about 10 years ago, in the winter, staying for a week with some friends, and playing at local sessions. I was in a place called Greene's one night and a friend of mine, a guitar player, saw me at the bar and introduced me to a friend of his, named john. We chatted for a while and I thought this guy looked familiar, but I couldn't place him.

Then I went back to the session and started up again. After a while there was a small commotion at the other end of the long table we were sitting at and pretty soon the John fellow was urged to sit down and given a guitar.

I honestly forget what he did, but he sang a few songs. He was very shy, only doing the second and third because he was asked by the folks who by now were standing around him. You could hear the proverbial pin drop.

The funny thing was that there were a bunch of older local gents, listeners, in the pub as well, a few sitting near me. After the third song one said to the other, "He's pretty good, but it would be nice if they gave some of the local boys a chance, too."

Last edited by Ergoetal; 04-28-2017 at 05:55 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN