The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-05-2019, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Default I'm Not Supposed to Care by Gordon Lightfoot (cover)

One of my YouTube subscribers asked me to consider doing this Gordon Lightfoot song. I had forgotten about it, so I looked it up and sure enough, he was right. This is a beautiful song! So I worked it up this week and recorded it on my Santa Cruz OM/PW guitar.

I'm very pleased with how good my OM/PW sounds with my new Warm Audio WA-84 small diaphragm condenser mics and the new WA-273 mic preamp to go with it.

I hope you like this -- thanks so much for listening!

- Glenn
Old 06-05-2019, 06:12 PM

Ahhh, yes! Very nicely done Glenn. Nice and relaxed, you really sell that song. Perfect range for your voice, IMO.

I really like GL’s tender ballads. They’re filled with emotion and cause me to believe he really lived the songs. I guess that’s the height of the art and craft of songwriting.

Again, very well done. Thanks for posting this.

Roger
Old 06-05-2019, 06:16 PM

Glenn, wow – this is a hidden gem! The song is new to me, but you did such a superb job…it instantly joined my growing list of “go to” GL songs. Loving the cool video shots of your playing up that fretboard, steady and deliberate. Vocals seem spot-on. Darn good for a song you woke up and played for us here on AGF!

Great job – thank you for continuing to work through Gordon’s songlist.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Ahhh, yes! Very nicely done Glenn. Nice and relaxed, you really sell that song. Perfect range for your voice, IMO.

I really like GL’s tender ballads. They’re filled with emotion and cause me to believe he really lived the songs. I guess that’s the height of the art and craft of songwriting.

Again, very well done. Thanks for posting this.

Roger
Hi Roger,

Thank you! The hard part of doing this song is the guitar part, which is quite unusual for a GL song. It's a different key and different chord transitions for him, so the song is actually rather atypical for Gordon Lightfoot. But I liked it a lot.

I had forgotten about this song until I was asked to do it, from a fellow in Scotland, in fact, but after reading the "Lightfoot" book, I recognized the story in his song. I am pretty sure I know who he was singing this song to, though I would hate to guess publicly. And once I guessed the background, the song seemed to me to be very touching. And he did just what he said he would to, too. He stuck with his promises about being there for her out there in the future, now the past.

I'm so glad you felt that this came out well, Roger. Thanks so much for listening and taking the time to comment!

- Glenn
Old 06-05-2019, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Glenn, wow – this is a hidden gem! The song is new to me, but you did such a superb job…it instantly joined my growing list of “go to” GL songs. Loving the cool video shots of your playing up that fretboard, steady and deliberate. Vocals seem spot-on. Darn good for a song you woke up and played for us here on AGF!

Great job – thank you for continuing to work through Gordon’s songlist.
Hi Carmel Cedar!

Thanks so much! I am very pleased that you thought this came out well!

It is kind of a hidden gem, something that only Lightfoot aficionados would know. It's from his "Summertime Dream" album, I think 1976. As I had mentioned, I had forgotten about this song until it was suggested just a few days ago.

It's funny about GL songs for me. I seem to be able to play his music fairly easily, maybe because I grew up with his music, I'm not sure. His vocal range and mine are pretty much the same and that helps a lot. He was a pretty good guitar player but not so good that I can't figure out what he is playing, so that also helps. He was certainly a very poetic songwriter. I really appreciate what he has accomplished over his career!

I hope all is well for you Carmel Cedar! Thanks so much!

- Glenn
Old 06-06-2019, 09:57 AM

Hey Glenn...that was really nice. Didn't know the song, so to me, it's yours. Right in your sweet spot.
I purchased the WA273 a little over a year ago, just as it came out. I was in the process of demoing some nice preamps in that price range and to me it totally smoked everything else I tried. Absolutely love it. Have it paired with a set of Beyerdynamic MC930's and couldn't be happier.
Thanks for posting..
Mike
Old 06-06-2019, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcKee View Post
Hey Glenn...that was really nice. Didn't know the song, so to me, it's yours. Right in your sweet spot.
I purchased the WA273 a little over a year ago, just as it came out. I was in the process of demoing some nice preamps in that price range and to me it totally smoked everything else I tried. Absolutely love it. Have it paired with a set of Beyerdynamic MC930's and couldn't be happier.
Thanks for posting..
Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks for watching and commenting! Glad you thought this came out okay.

I'm also glad to know that you also feel good about your purchase of the WA-273 mic preamp. That's wonderful! I certainly am happy with mine!

All the best to you Mike!

- Glenn
Old 06-07-2019, 03:53 AM

Classic Gordon Lightfoot done in a very respectful style and manner. I enjoyed this very much.
Very nice sounding SC. Not as much bottom end as the Olson but very nice. That Olson is hard to beat for a stand alone instrument for vocals.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 06-07-2019, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
Classic Gordon Lightfoot done in a very respectful style and manner. I enjoyed this very much.
Very nice sounding SC. Not as much bottom end as the Olson but very nice. That Olson is hard to beat for a stand alone instrument for vocals.
Hi Vance!

Thanks for watching and commenting! Perhaps next time I do a Gordon Lightfoot cover, I will use the Olson SJ. It might have been an even better choice. It didn't even occur to me to use anything but that Santa Cruz OM/PW, but I'm not sure why that is. I just really liked the sound of that OM on this song, and when I first sat down to figure out this song a week or so ago, this was the guitar that I grabbed.

I hope all is well for you and all your children and grandkids, Vance. I am enjoying the coming of summer; my wife and I just had our 49th wedding anniversary yesterday, though we were so busy with other commitments that we had to put off the celebration until into this coming weekend.

- Glenn
Old 06-07-2019, 08:36 AM

This was so mellow, in the best of ways.

I know how much time you spend on doing songs with multiple instruments and tracks blended, but I tend to prefer the natural, more simple acoustic versions of songs like these. The simplicity, to me, enhances the warmth of a song like this.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 06-07-2019, 08:38 AM

Great job, Glenn. I always enjoy your Gord covers.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
This was so mellow, in the best of ways.

I know how much time you spend on doing songs with multiple instruments and tracks blended, but I tend to prefer the natural, more simple acoustic versions of songs like these. The simplicity, to me, enhances the warmth of a song like this.
Hi SoCalSurf!

It's great to get your reaction! Thanks so much.

I do agree with you, that the simplicity of the one guitar, one voice approach on this kind of song really does make the song a little more personal. As you note, "enhances the warmth of a song like this." As I initially worked through this song, I was playing along with Gord's original recording from his Summertime Dream album. And then when I would stop the Lightfoot recording and then play by myself to see how I was developing this, I realized that I really liked the simpler arrangement -- one guitar, one voice.

In fact, I changed the introduction to the song, where I went through the chord progression twice instead of only once, because by then I had kind of constructed a little bit of a melody to fit those intro chords.

His construction of this song is so interesting, it turns out that there were lots of spaces to do interesting, melodic transitions on the guitar.

In fact, I spent to much time paying attention to the guitar, that I wish I had spent more time paying attention to my voice. My pitch was not all that great at the start of the song but then got notably better as it went along. I wish I had been more alert to that when I did this recording and done it again. But... the song has a very live feel to it, that's for sure.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and comment SoCalSurf!

- Glenn
Old 06-07-2019, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nads View Post
Great job, Glenn. I always enjoy your Gord covers.
Hi B-Nads!

Man, it's great to hear from you! It's been a while! I hope you are well!

I miss hearing your voice on Show & Tell!

Thanks for taking the time to watch and comment here! Much appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 06-07-2019, 09:40 AM

I've been well, Glenn. Busy time at work right now...I'll try to get a couple tunes done once the school year is over ;-)
Old 06-07-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nads View Post
I've been well, Glenn. Busy time at work right now...I'll try to get a couple tunes done once the school year is over ;-)
Best of luck finishing up the school year! I'll look forward to hearing some of your new music!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell