The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-30-2002, 03:51 PM

Default Guitar Camps

Just curious if anyone belonging to this forum has ever attended a guitar camp and if so what did they think of the experience.
Old 03-31-2002, 11:54 AM

There was just a discussion about camps not more than 2 weeks ago. Didn't get a lot of response. Shouldn't be hard to find.

I've been going to Puget Sound Guitar Workshop in Western Washington since 1999 and I love it. A week of nothing but music. If you attend one you'll surely go back the next year.

Found it. Just scroll down 12 threads in this same catagory.

Last edited by Noflatpick; 03-31-2002 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-02-2002, 07:16 AM

Last weekend, I inquired about a local guitar camp. One of the questions that I asked was about the security of the guitars.

The answer that I got just blew me away. They told me that the were not willing to discuss any security with anyone because I could be "casing the place" for some early Christmas Shopping. I was besides myself. What kind of a knot head would respond to a prospective participant this way? Without exception, although I've never been to one of these camps and would be interested in attending, by no means will I even consider it unless I knew that my guitar(s) would be safe and secure.

He told me in his email that if I wanted to email him my phone number, he'd discuss it with me buy would not be spacific. Maybe it's just me, but, unless I know for sure that my "babies" are going to be secure and kept in a controlled temp/humidity environment, I wouldn't even consider it. The people that run these things need to put something on their web sites. What? Do most of their participants bring their $50 K-Mart specials and don't care?

There, now I feel better that I got that off my chest...
Old 04-02-2002, 12:37 PM

I never would've imagined myself letting my guitars out of my sight around a hundred and fifty people I never met before, but by the second day of camp I relaxed and realized they were as safe as in my own house.

I still made sure to take them back to my cabin when I wasn't playing them, but some folks would leave theirs down in the main meeting hall/mess hall overnight, or leave them sitting outside for hours when they were off doing something else, and never a problem at all.

No, people DON'T take their beater guitars to camp. I take my Taylor 615 and my Guild JF-55 twelve string, but there are guitars there worth a helluva lot more than mine.

Nobody would ever think of putting their fingers on your instrument, let alone stealing it. And since the camp I go to is out in the boondocks, down a long driveway through the trees, and only one way in and out, it's pretty easy to limit access to just those folks who are attending the camp.

I can fully understand the reply given to you by the camp representative. While they could've been a little more tactful, you could very well HAVE been someone gathering information for a big guitar heist. Better safe than sorry.
Old 04-03-2002, 03:57 PM

Kinda reminds me of a conversation I overheard in the check-in line at La Guardia a couple months back.

A passenger was pulled aside for a personal search. He asked the attendent what was it that flagged him for a personal search. The attendent replied - if I tell you about our security it wont be very secure will it?

Bob
Old 04-04-2002, 08:53 PM

Well, I guess I can see both sides of the tree. But, for now, unless I get some kind of personal assurance, I'll steer clear.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell