The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-09-2016, 09:54 PM

So you and your friend are unfamiliar with the sawing process and the market. It's good that you want to maximize yield, and are doing the research before cutting, and going to an experienced sawyer.

The short version is that you can, with good layout and very good resawing, get 18 guitar sets from a 1x20x96" board with no flaws. They can all be big enough for dreads or SJs. I don't think there is a layout that will yield more sets, even if you saw for smaller guitars--you will just have more waste left over.

Regarding the market, prices drop for 000 size sets, and drop sharply for sets smaller than that. So there usually is no point profit-wise in sawing a board for sets smaller than 000. In the case of these boards, I don't think it could be done as a way to get more sets. You will have very little waste sawing 18 full size sets. Find someone who knows how to lay them out and saw the billets from the board as well as resaw them into sets. Dave Borson may be able to do both for you.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 01-10-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:34 PM

I see lots of references towards "The Tree". Can someone point me in the right direction regarding what this is?
Is a specific special tree, or a breed of tree?
Thanks in advance.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 01-10-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
I see lots of references towards "The Tree". Can someone point me in the right direction regarding what this is?
Thanks in advance.
@zandit. It is a single mohogany tree. That was massive. Google "the tree mohogany". Tons of info. The story is cool and the wood is some of the most beautiful the world has ever seen. Imo.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Thanks in advance.
Simply put, " The Tree" Quilted Mahogany is Genuine Honduras Mahogany albeit with a rare genetic defect which results in the quilting/figure. As it is supposedly the only tree to be found with such a figure, it has been coined as "The Tree".

It is denser than regular mahogany, leaning closer to the Rosewood end of things.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 01-10-2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minexploration View Post
@zandit. It is a single mohogany tree. That was massive. Google "the tree mohogany". Tons of info. The story is cool and the wood is some of the most beautiful the world has ever seen. Imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Simply put, " The Tree" Quilted Mahogany is Genuine Honduras Mahogany albeit with a rare genetic defect which results in the quilting/figure. As it is supposedly the only tree to be found with such a figure, it has been coined as "The Tree".

It is denser than regular mahogany, leaning closer to the Rosewood end of things.
Thank Guys, very interesting reading.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 01-11-2016, 07:54 PM

With David Borson doing the resaw you shold be good. You need to billet first. Check for cracks, checks and inclusions including pin holes. I've yet to find a "perfect" board where you get the perfect yield. Most boards I've seen have been 22 inches. Which worked very well for billeting. You can go thinner for sides especially if you can get an extra set with no orphans. If you are going to get orphans I leave it a bit thicker. You may want to consider thin sides for double sids. More builders are doing double sides with a different inner wood.

Have fun. If you want to sell the boards I know a guy who is looking for some 1 inch material and will pay well for them. He is not a guitar builder though.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:24 PM

Thanks a lot, everyone.

Jim
Old 01-15-2016, 04:37 AM

Ah The Tree

tuning ? any guesses ?
Old 01-15-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westman View Post
Ah The Tree

tuning ? any guesses ?
Most likely find it here. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Incredible-i.../dp/B00A4D01XO

I had an album of two back in the day, nice to hear them again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop