The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 08:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
When I show my wife your signature, I'm instantly in less trouble. Thank you ;-)
Face it like this:

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 11-14-2015, 05:08 AM

Default Don't tell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Chris, we already picked the binding. You led the charge for the winner Bocote. It will look great. We'll probably rout the guitar today.

Bob (TuckerRE) doesn't put all his guitars on his list because he's scared his wife might think he has too many.
Since my wife was 'friends' with Steve before I ever met him (circa 1974), she has no problem with me getting any guitar, as long as it's a Kinnaird guitar. Just don't tell Steve and Ryan...they think I keep buyin' 'em cuz I think they are the best guitars on the planet (which of course they are....they just think it's Crazy Bob sayin' that, so don't let the cat out of the bag)!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 11-16-2015, 08:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Back in business today on the F1 - so here's some update pics. Sorry it's been a while. We're a repair shop too (please don't tell your friends) and we've got in the last week four setups, three pick guard replacements, two new bridges, and a neck reset in a pear tree. No complaints, it just kills the repair guy's production time. But, it's a new week!

Here's the neck with ebony head plate ready to be shaped to Kinnaird dimensions:

The illustrious leader routing the box for purfling/binding - though this is the back, so just purfling here:

Installed the Bocote back binding. It looks great against the dark rosewood:

And got the top purfling on today which means finish the binding tomorrow if repairs don't get in the way:

Thanks for watching along.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 11-18-2015, 08:02 PM

Two whole days since an update....
You guys on holiday or something??!!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 11-18-2015, 08:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

I know right? I've been eating DQ Blizzards - and trolling the AGF - instead of working. But I guess there's been some progress. So how bout an update.

Up first, more pictures of tape. This is heavy duty binding tape from LMI. This tape makes the guitar sound better. Lesser tapes should be rejected at any price.

Now that the binding is completed, here is Steve scraping it flush to the sides. The Bocote is a bright yellow when exposed to the air, but relatively quickly darkens to a rich brown.

And here she blows - a finished box! Now if someone could fit a neck, I could get this guy lacquered up. I'll think about who could do it over my next Turtle Pecan Cluster Blizzard.

Thanks for the kick in the butt.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I know right? I've been eating DQ Blizzards - and trolling the AGF - instead of working. But I guess there's been some progress. So how bout an update.

Thanks for the kick in the butt.
I had to google DQ Blizzards. We don't have them here in Australia. Probably the closest thing would be Cold Rock.

You were freaking me out there for a second because my initials are DQ!!! Unfortunately, my name is identical to one of your Ex VP's, just spelt differently!

BTW, Glad to have been of butt kicking assistance!!
Old 11-18-2015, 10:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Sorry, I forget that our international presence is actually quite present sometimes. I have a friend from college who runs an artist's retreat in Tasmania, but the closest I've made it is across the ditch to see my sister-in-law when she went to school in Dunedin, NZ.

I'm having to console myself with Dairy Queen ice cream because Blue Bell (a Texan ice cream) has not made it back to town after a safety recall. I try to limit my vices down to about three and ice cream is one of them.

Thanks for following along and knowing how to spell potatoe (Dan Quayle joke).

Old 11-18-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I forget that our international presence is actually quite present sometimes. I have a friend from college who runs an artist's retreat in Tasmania, but the closest I've made it is across the ditch to see my sister-in-law when she went to school in Dunedin, NZ.

I'm having to console myself with Dairy Queen ice cream because Blue Bell (a Texan ice cream) has not made it back to town after a safety recall. I try to limit my vices down to about three and ice cream is one of them.

Thanks for following along and knowing how to spell potatoe (Dan Quayle joke).
Haha, I can spell it, but how do you pronounce it? That could be the deal breaker of me following the rest of this thread!!

Whereabouts is this artists retreat? Tassie may be small, and only have 500k population, but there is so much to see here, I've barely touched the surface in my 40yrs of living here!
Old 11-19-2015, 09:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

We usually just say taters round here. I would be interested to hear the Tasmanian equivalent. The retreat (something like a hostel/work co-op/discussion hall) is called Pilgrim's Hill. It's in Lucaston in the Huon Valley. My geography of Tasmania is not the best, but I think it's in the southern part. I hear they have free Saturday dinners during the summer- if you're ever down that way.

Pilgrim's Hill website

Now off to work. Or for ice cream. Or both. Who knows what the day holds?

Old 11-19-2015, 07:33 PM

Typically, the every day word is Spuds. Where that came from I have no idea!!
Similarly, what you guys call Tater Tots are called Potato Gems here in Oz. Go figure!
Old 11-20-2015, 10:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

I would like to pop some potato gems in my mouth - like chewing yummy fried jewels. When I was around 18 or 19 I worked at a movie theatre where we would try to trade free movies for anything we could get around town - especially food. A guy opened up a shack called Spudz where you could get potatoes stuffed with just about anything. We traded movies for lunch, but he told me that he preferred to barter spuds for anything and that he had got his refrigerator for trading someone 200 lbs of large potatoes. Unfortunately guitars are a hard commodity to barter with reasonable returns. Though I do dream sometimes about the mountain of cookies I could get for one.

I did get some work done on the F1 yesterday like:

Shaping out the peghead, and:

Fitting the neck to the body (getting the neck angle just right). I'm expecting a nephew today, so we'll see what I can accomplish this afternoon, but it's coming.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I would like to pop some potato gems in my mouth - like chewing yummy fried jewels. When I was around 18 or 19 I worked at a movie theatre where we would try to trade free movies for anything we could get around town - especially food. A guy opened up a shack called Spudz where you could get potatoes stuffed with just about anything. We traded movies for lunch, but he told me that he preferred to barter spuds for anything and that he had got his refrigerator for trading someone 200 lbs of large potatoes. Unfortunately guitars are a hard commodity to barter with reasonable returns. Though I do dream sometimes about the mountain of cookies I could get for one.

I did get some work done on the F1 yesterday like:

Shaping out the peghead, and:

Fitting the neck to the body (getting the neck angle just right). I'm expecting a nephew today, so we'll see what I can accomplish this afternoon, but it's coming.
I'll send you a few dozen of my Baileys Chocolate chip cookies for a guitar. I'll even toss in an extra dozen to cover shipping to Canada.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 11-20-2015, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Looking good, Ryan--coming along very nicely!

Just remembered another book that you might enjoy--"The Boys in the Boat", by Daniel James Brown. Whenever I think I have it tough, I think of these guys and what they went through to accomplish what they did.

My issues pale in comparison...

Have a great weekend--keep up the good work!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 11-20-2015, 01:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeaddict View Post
I'll send you a few dozen of my Baileys Chocolate chip cookies for a guitar. I'll even toss in an extra dozen to cover shipping to Canada.
I'm glad to see you've opened negotiations. Right now you're at the rosette cutout level or possibly an awesome t-shirt. Even though the Bailey's did twist my arm pretty hard. This is why I don't own my own business. On first glance, I thought this was a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Looking good, Ryan--coming along very nicely!

Just remembered another book that you might enjoy--"The Boys in the Boat", by Daniel James Brown. Whenever I think I have it tough, I think of these guys and what they went through to accomplish what they did.

My issues pale in comparison...

Have a great weekend--keep up the good work!
Thanks. I'm about in need of my next read, I loved The Dog Stars, so I'll check this one out. Thanks for thinking of me.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:37 PM

Default Outstanding book!

" boys in the boat " - a total must read!!!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop