The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-30-2015, 06:42 AM

Default 12 fret Adi/Canarywood Jumbo

Hello all. I took a few closeup pics of my latest (#23) as an experiment. High-key, all shot with my phone. I'm thinking of this style as a signature look. I thought some here may enjoy them.

Thanks, Timo
Tahti Guitars

Old 05-30-2015, 07:24 AM

Timo,

Those are some nice lines on your guitars. Interesting to see that you put your port in the lower bout. I would be curious to hear if you have done any testing on the placement of your soundport and the differences that you found.

Cheers,

BLin

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 05-30-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picassov7 View Post
Timo,

Those are some nice lines on your guitars. Interesting to see that you put your port in the lower bout. I would be curious to hear if you have done any testing on the placement of your soundport and the differences that you found.

Cheers,

BLin
Brandon,

Thanks, I located the port in the lower bout because it was simple and a long term durable location. It is only my second guitar with a port and the other was in the upper bout. I doubt it makes a great deal of difference and this one is very effective at helping the player hear the guitar.

Timo
Old 05-30-2015, 11:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Timo! Awesome! Q-plus! This is the first Brazilian Canarywood guitar I have EVER seen, except for the two that I have built myself. I am really surprised that more people haven't tried this excellent wood. I found it to be beautiful, and tone-ful as well, with a loud, ringing, metallic tap tone, what I would call a Rosewood vibe, and excellent machining, bending, and gluing properties.
I bought enough Canary lumber about six years ago to build 6-8 guitars. The two Canary guitars I've built so far were very happily received by their owners.

I'm curious to know how you decided to build with it, and how you feel about the properties and aesthetics of Brazilian Canary as an instrument wood.

The only problem I had with Canary was in trying to re-saw sets from a highly figured slab-sawn plank that wasn't well seasoned. It warped like crazy, even as I was pushing it through the saw. I had to abandon it halfway through the second cut.
So I decided to stick with quarter-to-rift sawn boards, and they came out exceptionally well- totally stable and fine. And I have several sets laid aside that have been seasoning for five-plus years, and they seem completely stable.

I'll tell you what: Were I given a choice between using Pernambuco or quarter-sawn Canary, I would probably pick the Canary.

Some Canary wood is very similar in appearance to the extremely rare and exotic Tulipwood, with the deep yellows, oranges, and reds; but most often with straight-grain figure.

Your guitar featured here, by the way, is a beautifully rendered piece of acoustic art. I applaud you for your abundant talent!
Old 05-30-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Timo! Awesome! Q-plus! This is the first Brazilian Canarywood guitar I have EVER seen, except for the two that I have built myself. I am really surprised that more people haven't tried this excellent wood. I found it to be beautiful, and tone-ful as well, with a loud, ringing, metallic tap tone, what I would call a Rosewood vibe, and excellent machining, bending, and gluing properties.
I bought enough Canary lumber about six years ago to build 6-8 guitars. The two Canary guitars I've built so far were very happily received by their owners.

I'm curious to know how you decided to build with it, and how you feel about the properties and aesthetics of Brazilian Canary as an instrument wood.

The only problem I had with Canary was in trying to re-saw sets from a highly figured slab-sawn plank that wasn't well seasoned. It warped like crazy, even as I was pushing it through the saw. I had to abandon it halfway through the second cut.
So I decided to stick with quarter-to-rift sawn boards, and they came out exceptionally well- totally stable and fine. And I have several sets laid aside that have been seasoning for five-plus years, and they seem completely stable.

I'll tell you what: Were I given a choice between using Pernambuco or quarter-sawn Canary, I would probably pick the Canary.

Some Canary wood is very similar in appearance to the extremely rare and exotic Tulipwood, with the deep yellows, oranges, and reds; but most often with straight-grain figure.

Your guitar featured here, by the way, is a beautifully rendered piece of acoustic art. I applaud you for your abundant talent!
Well thank you for the kind words, it means a lot. A bit of background on the canarywood; I am a professional maker and designer of furniture, cabinetry, doors and millwork. I first used canarywood because of its tone and color for some custom modern door handles that were a combination of turning and carving. I was instantly impressed by it, insanely machinable, sands well, polishes well, and not crack prone.

When I started building guitars 5 years ago I thought about using it but stayed with more traditional choices. I have since experimented more and have a large library of controlled tap tone recordings for various guitar parts from many woods. Canarywood is special, I acquire it whenever possible. It is not available in widths we all would love, but this guitar is 16 1/4" and it barely falls beyond 45 degrees.

Thanks again,

Timo
Tahti Guitars
Old 05-30-2015, 04:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Timo has a love affair with his wood and it shows.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:45 PM

I built one for my son in 2008 with all bloodwood trim including the bridge and fretboard. Great sounding guitar. Have to dig up some pic's.

Last edited by bobcef; 06-02-2015 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageparlors View Post
Timo has a love affair with his wood and it shows.
Hi Steve,

Good to see your post and thank you! I also want to add that this years charity guitar will be a 12 fret parlour, Larsonesque, Adi and curly hard maple. We will be raising the goal to $7500 and all proceeds will go to Alzheimer's awareness.

Thanks again bud, and take care.

Timo
Old 05-31-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcef View Post
Beautiful guitar. I built one for my son in 2007 with all bloodwood trim including the bridge and fretboard. Great sounding guitar. Have to dig up some pic's.
Thanks Bob. I'd love to see some pics any canarywood guitar, post them up if you find them. See you in Memphis.

T
Old 05-31-2015, 11:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi, Timo,
I hope I'm not intruding here, but when you asked for pictures of Canary wood guitars, I couldn't resist. Here's one I built in late 2011, called "the Double Eagle EPC".
As you can see, the back is quarter to steep-rift sawn, and some very nice color and figure- a good example of what good specimens of Canary look like. I did find a couple of boards that were 9-10 inches wide, with this cut. I also grabbed a bunch of perfect quarter, straight-grain boards, seven inches wide. I recall I paid something like $12/BF for it!
This guitar is bound and trimmed with Cocobolo, which really plays nice with the vivid yellow/orange of the Canary.

I will definitely build with this excellent wood again. If anyone else decides to try it also, my advice is, make sure it's well-seasoned and dry, and stick with quarter- to rift-sawn cuts. The quarter-sawn, straight grain boards are perfect for doing invisibly grain matched four-piece backs.
Canary is a dream to finish, as it is hard and dense with a very fine pore structure. I did not need to do any pore-filling on this guitar.

Timo- do you have any full-length photos of that gorgeous guitar you featured here?
Old 05-31-2015, 07:44 PM

Wink

Quote:
Hi, Timo,
I hope I'm not intruding here, but when you asked for pictures of Canary wood guitars, I couldn't resist. Here's one I built in late 2011, called "the Double Eagle EPC".
As you can see, the back is quarter to steep-rift sawn, and some very nice color and figure- a good example of what good specimens of Canary look like. I did find a couple of boards that were 9-10 inches wide, with this cut. I also grabbed a bunch of perfect quarter, straight-grain boards, seven inches wide. I recall I paid something like $12/BF for it!
This guitar is bound and trimmed with Cocobolo, which really plays nice with the vivid yellow/orange of the Canary.

I will definitely build with this excellent wood again. If anyone else decides to try it also, my advice is, make sure it's well-seasoned and dry, and stick with quarter- to rift-sawn cuts. The quarter-sawn, straight grain boards are perfect for doing invisibly grain matched four-piece backs.
Canary is a dream to finish, as it is hard and dense with a very fine pore structure. I did not need to do any pore-filling on this guitar.

Timo- do you have any full-length photos of that gorgeous guitar you featured here?
Thanks for posting the pics, I will not take offense to anything but the offensive. Stunning guitar and I cannot say more about how excited I am to see so much inspiring work in Memphis!

Yes this wood will yeild a great 4 piece back and backs yielded from "the waste of the waist".

I did shoot a couple throw away pics of the guitar at the shop today. Thanks again and I will see you Saturday.

Timo

Old 05-31-2015, 07:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for those new photos! It's great to get the full view. I'm really impressed with your design ideas on this guitar- how unified the overall theme is. Front and back of the headstock reveal some advanced architecture concept, and the bridge carries that theme along. Gorgeous rosette, and all other appointments look very elegant together.
This is a very unique and original guitar from every angle. Perhaps even leaning a bit avant-garde? Looks like it would feel right at home in the Museum of Modern Art in New York, in a modern designers' showcase.
Awesome work, Timo. Raucous applause and cheering for you!
Old 05-31-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for those new photos! It's great to get the full view. I'm really impressed with your design ideas on this guitar- how unified the overall theme is. Front and back of the headstock reveal some advanced architecture concept, and the bridge carries that theme along. Gorgeous rosette, and all other appointments look very elegant together.
This is a very unique and original guitar from every angle. Perhaps even leaning a bit avant-garde? Looks like it would feel right at home in the Museum of Modern Art in New York, in a modern designers' showcase.
Awesome work, Timo. Raucous applause and cheering for you!
Thank you, those words are beyond kind. I'm going to look you up first thing Saturday AM.

T
Old 06-01-2015, 05:04 AM

Nice work, Timo!

Pat
Old 06-01-2015, 06:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo View Post
Hi Steve,

Good to see your post and thank you! I also want to add that this years charity guitar will be a 12 fret parlour, Larsonesque, Adi and curly hard maple. We will be raising the goal to $7500 and all proceeds will go to Alzheimer's awareness.

Thanks again bud, and take care.

Timo

Keep me posted for when the ticket sales begin. I'm in BIG TIME!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop