The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-07-2011, 07:39 PM

Default Why no jumbo frets on acoustics?

I'm traditionally an electric player and I prefer the large jumbo frets. I've always wondered why they're so tiny on acoustics. Don't get me wrong; it doesn't bother me at all, but I'm just curious.

So it is just because "they're made that way" or is there a physical/scientific reason? I know that smaller frets help with intonation, but my Jacksons definitely don't have a problem with the jumbos.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:10 PM

I'm a medium-jumbo man in a new Martin dinky-fret world. I've been advised by experienced folk that small frets are good, but a day doesn't go by where I don't almost reach for the phone and schedule a re-fret. Worst case is I undo it with another re-fret, but I've been using big frets on everything since '75 and they are a good thing.

I'll keep the forum posted when I do jump, and thank you for posting this thread - feels a little less lonely out here.

P.S. I've never had intonation problems with large frets, either.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
I'm a medium-jumbo man in a new Martin dinky-fret world. I've been advised by experienced folk that small frets are good, but a day doesn't go by where I don't almost reach for the phone and schedule a re-fret. Worst case is I undo it with another re-fret, but I've been using big frets on everything since '75 and they are a good thing.

I'll keep the forum posted when I do jump, and thank you for posting this thread - feels a little less lonely out here.

P.S. I've never had intonation problems with large frets, either.
Another thing is that, at least in the electric world, jumbo frets allow for more control when bending. That's also the reason why some of the shredders scallop their fretboards, for better bending control. Personally, I would love to try Jackson-sized jumbos on an acoustic.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:34 PM

My guess would be that the jumbo frets don't offer enough overt advantages to acoustic players to make them want to switch. I know that the standard sizes of fret wire seem to work just fine on the acoustic instruments that I play.

whm
Old 10-07-2011, 09:24 PM

They work great.

*everything* is a tone control
Old 10-07-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donh View Post
They work great.
They referring to what?
Old 10-07-2011, 10:04 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

I' ve always put it down to intonation issues..with many electric guitars having individually adustable string saddles and therefore more easily compensated for that acoustic guitars.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 10-07-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
I' ve always put it down to intonation issues..with many electric guitars having individually adustable string saddles and therefore more easily compensated for that acoustic guitars.
There's one problem I see with that; sure, the smaller frets allow for more precise intonation, but if the intonation is off, it won't matter what size the frets are.

In fact, the precision due to the small size might actually make things worse.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:19 PM

My newly acquired Blueridge certainly has jumbo frets, my Martin on the other hand not so much. It doesn't take long to adjust.
I am surprised Martin isn't using taller fretwire. Especially for what their guitars cost after all.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:41 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerTube View Post
There's one problem I see with that; sure, the smaller frets allow for more precise intonation, but if the intonation is off, it won't matter what size the frets are.

In fact, the precision due to the small size might actually make things worse.
But...with the vast majority of acoustic guitars, there is very little you can do to adjust the intonation. The saddle is (generally) one piece, maybe angled a bit, maybe crowned a bit differently for each sting. If you have to try to deal with a large string to string variation in intonation you are screwed.
Large frets mean more string stretch when fretting.....larger intonation issues along that string and relative to the other strings.

( I could very well be wrong here. Any body who actually knows what they are talking about (luthiers) please correct me.)

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 10-07-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
Large frets mean more string stretch when fretting.....larger intonation issues along that string and relative to the other strings.
I think that actually depends on the frets. If they're wide at the top, then I could see that. But many jumbos are as narrow on top as the smaller frets.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerTube View Post
I think that actually depends on the frets. If they're wide at the top, then I could see that. But many jumbos are as narrow on top as the smaller frets.
Well - all frets should come to a singular point at the apex. The depth can play havoc with intonation, though experienced players that like tall frets control the downward push. The less I feel the fingerboard, the easier it is for me to play - easy to play is a very happy thing . . . . I might just pick up that phone Monday morning.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:15 PM

I'll try a guess..
Maybe it's that a lot of acoustic players ..historically or whatever..have not been "shredders". I'm not saying there are no country speed demons or that all acoustic players play country and western music.
But..a lot of acoustic style players might prefer lower or seemingly lower action..or have the perception that skinny short frets are "easier" to play?
Maybe acoustic strings (not for the most part nickel) are a little easier on fretwire so smaller last just as long and so the advantages they may offer (more precise than wide jumbos?) are worth it with smaller wire?

Maybe, "typically" acoustic players arent crazy string benders so there isnt a big advantage to jumbos?

Maybe nylon or gut stringed classicals always have skinny frets so when steel string acoustics came out they just stayed with skinny frets?

I dunno...just throwing darts.

You wouldn't think there'd be anything WRONG with using jumbos if you prefer them? But..what advantage would they offer? Better bending? It aint easy to bend medium or heavy strings.

I DID also find it a little strange that the frets on my Stonebridge were so small when I got it though and like you, I'm an electric guy.
I had jumbos installed on my old Mustang. That's pretty funny. But yeah..kinda new to this acoustic scene and I wondered too..WHAT'S up with these skinny little frets???
Old 10-08-2011, 02:54 AM

The reason why the fretwire on Martins is so skinny is the same reason why they don't ream out the bridgepin holes to fit the pins, ie it's cheaper to do it that way.

No other reason whatsoever for low, skinny frets.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:11 AM

I've noticed that Larrivee guitars have larger frets than other makers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion