The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-03-2009, 06:29 AM

Default 414ce 2006 vs a new one?

I tried out a new 414ce at Guitar Center yesterday and really liked it.
Negotiated a deal for xxxxx and was considering it.

Then last night, I came across an opportunity to buy a 2006 414ce online for about half that price and bought it. It's being shipped next week, so I haven't played it yet.

I noticed the new one has white binding on the fretboard and the 2006 model does not. Other than that, can I expect the 2006 model to be more or less the same guitar as the new one, at least in terms of sound and feel?
Thanks

Last edited by rlouie; 07-03-2009 at 06:42 AM. Reason: no price discussion rule
Old 07-03-2009, 06:48 AM

The only significant difference is the 2006 has a first generation Expression System and the newer one, a second generation ES. I know you didn't have the opportunity to hear the one you bought but if the two were side by side I'd buy the one that sounded best.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewzme View Post
I tried out a new 414ce at Guitar Center yesterday and really liked it.
Negotiated a deal for xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and was considering it.

Then last night, I came across an opportunity to buy a 2006 414ce online for about half that price and bought it. It's being shipped next week, so I haven't played it yet.

I noticed the new one has white binding on the fretboard and the 2006 model does not. Other than that, can I expect the 2006 model to be more or less the same guitar as the new one, at least in terms of sound and feel?
Thanks
Hi skewzme,

I don't know if you checked out Guitar Rodeo's ad-link along the right-hand side of AGF's homepage for a Taylor purchase but you could have got a new 2009 Taylor 414ce Spring Limited for a bit less than the cost of the new regular model 414ce you tried at your Guitar Center. Currently, Jim has six 414ce Spring LTDs to choose from complete with photos. Guitar Rodeo also has a 100% previous guitar purchase-price trade-in policy toward the cost of a new guitar when it's time to trade. The 2009 414ce Spring Limited is all-gloss finished, has Tasmanian Blackwood back/sides, maple binding on body and fingerboard with a maple mini-wedge up the middle of the back, elongated diamond fretboard inlays, and an abalone rosette. I just bought my 2009 410ce Spring Limited from a local dealer a couple of days ago and its simple elegance is stunning and it sounds great. I'm happy!

Both the 2006 414ce you purchased and the new standard-model 414ce at your Guitar Center, should sound and play about the same with their Ovangol back/sides. You got a good price on your 414ce online purchase and I'm sure you'll enjoy your guitar.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by rlouie; 07-03-2009 at 07:25 AM. Reason: edited out quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I'd buy the one that sounded best.
Agreed. That is what caught my attention with the one at Guitar Center. It just sang when you played it. I would think the two would be more or less the same, assuming the 2006 models were made from the same woods. However, I looked at a 2003 414ce a month or so ago, and it didn't make the same impression on me. My personal preference is a bright crisp sound, as opposed to some who prefer a softer, warmer sound.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Hi skewzme,

I don't know if you checked out Guitar Rodeo's ad-link along the right-hand side of AGF's homepage for a Taylor purchase but you could have got a new 2009 Taylor 414ce Spring Limited for a bit less than the cost of the new regular model 414ce you tried at your Guitar Center. Currently, Jim has six 414ce Spring LTDs to choose from complete with photos. Guitar Rodeo also has a 100% previous guitar purchase-price trade-in policy toward the cost of a new guitar when it's time to trade. The 2009 414ce Spring Limited is all-gloss finished, has Tasmanian Blackwood back/sides, maple binding on body and fingerboard with a maple mini-wedge up the middle of the back, elongated diamond fretboard inlays, and an abalone rosette. I just bought my 2009 410ce Spring Limited from a local dealer a couple of days ago and its simple elegance is stunning and it sounds great. I'm happy!

Both the 2006 414ce you purchased and the new standard-model 414ce at your Guitar Center, should sound and play about the same with their Ovangol back/sides. You got a good price on your 414ce online purchase and I'm sure you'll enjoy your guitar.

Regards,

SpruceTop
SpruceTop,

Great information. Thanks.
Even though I've bought it, I will check out the Ltd edition you mentioned. I'm in a buy and try mode right now. There's always a market for Taylors, making it relatively easy to buy and trade them.
I really want something more unique, but with a crisp sharp sound. Funny you pointed me to a LTD Edition Blackwood because I also just bought a 2008 Ltd. Edition with Tas Blackwood top, sides and back. It's a beautiful guitar. Very full sound with that "piano" quality bottom end.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:45 PM

so your the one who got that 414ce.. that was a great price and like a fool I hesitated and then did a best offer.. when in my heart I know the buy it now was still a great price... lesson learned for me... I hope you enjoy that guitar.. its was a steal...
Old 07-16-2009, 10:45 PM

quick question...I have a 2005-2006 414ce and find the action to be pretty darn high. Has anyone else had this problem with their 414? I thought that taylors came with pretty low action stock?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc View Post
quick question...I have a 2005-2006 414ce and find the action to be pretty darn high. Has anyone else had this problem with their 414? I thought that taylors came with pretty low action stock?
Just got one a week ago, Mine plays like butter. Action is flawless!
I love how Stock Taylor setups are good to go!!
Ovation Celebrity/ 08 Fender American Delux Strat
Ibanez RG/ Hohner elec/ LX1 Martin/
PRS Baritone elec. Alverez 5050 (1973)
Manuel Rodriguez nylon. Logic /DSM2 Monitors.
And more
Old 07-17-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Regardless of what the action is out the box you should always assume it needs a proper setup IMO. Taylors are pretty good out of the box compared to others but I still lower the action on all of mine regardless. There's just too much potential for it to be left "stock"
2009 Martin LX1
2008 Yamaha FG720s
Old 07-17-2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:
They do come from the factory with good set ups, but you bought one that's 3 to 4 years old. Guitars change over time. You probaby need to adjust your truss rod. High action on a Taylor is usually a symptom of bowed neck since the factory saddle and nut should be to Taylor specs. Sight down the neck from the headstock towards the body. The neck should be straight, perpendicular to the strings. If you see a bow in the neck, remove the truss rod cover and turn it to the left a quarter turn, then look at the neck again. Repeat until you see the bow go away.
I just bought a 2006 414ce and had to make some adjustments. It plays really great now.
Good luck
Old 07-17-2009, 06:36 AM

Some think the truss rod is intended for action adjustment others think otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
Re; guitar set up, some quick photo articles from Frets.com, run by Frank Ford, owner of Gryphon Stringed Instruments, luthier, repair expert, and moderator of the Acoustic Guitar Magazines "Luthiers Corner" section;

About truss rods/neck relif;
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musi...Adj/tradj.html

About adjusting the action at the saddle;
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musi...raction01.html

About checking the action at the nut;
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musi...nutaction.html

His comments on issue I see come up here time and again;
"The single most common misconception is that truss rods are for adjusting action or intonation. While adjusting the truss rod does affect the playing action, that's a side effect and not the purpose for the adjustment. As a general rule, once the nut and truss rod are set, all action adjustment is done at the bridge, by raising or lowering the saddle. Intonation is affected by action, too, so correcting the action may improve intonation, but again, that's a side effect."
ie, if the action isn't where you like it, don't go cranking on the truss rod trying to adjust it.

Taylor's factory action at the 12th fret is 4/64" e string, 6/64" E.
From the Taylor web site tech sheet;
http://www.taylorguitars.com/global/pdfs/action.pdf
Old 07-17-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Some think the truss rod is intended for action adjustment others think otherwise.

Two points:

1. Truss rod adjustments are for keeping your neck straight, not for adjusting your action.

However . . .

2. High action is often a sympton of a neck that has some bow to it.

Therefore, if your action is higher than factory specs and you have the factory saddle and nut, your problem is most likely a bowed neck.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:09 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewzme View Post
Agreed. That is what caught my attention with the one at Guitar Center. It just sang when you played it. I would think the two would be more or less the same, assuming the 2006 models were made from the same woods. However, I looked at a 2003 414ce a month or so ago, and it didn't make the same impression on me. My personal preference is a bright crisp sound, as opposed to some who prefer a softer, warmer sound.
I also have a 2006 414ce, and in reference to your subjective opinion about the sound from different guitars, I have found it to be very string dependent. I use Elixir Nanowebs, and I find that as they age the tone becomes really dull, much more so than any guitar I've had. I'm not sure whether to credit it to the strings or the wood combinations of the 414. Certainly new strings make it sing unlike any guitar I've ever owned but you really notice the strings when they go dull. Regularly changing the strings is not a bad thing though!
1987 Ovation Celebrity
1986 Squier '57 Stratocaster
Old 07-17-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbin-Man View Post
I also have a 2006 414ce, and in reference to your subjective opinion about the sound from different guitars, I have found it to be very string dependent. I use Elixir Nanowebs, and I find that as they age the tone becomes really dull, much more so than any guitar I've had. I'm not sure whether to credit it to the strings or the wood combinations of the 414. Certainly new strings make it sing unlike any guitar I've ever owned but you really notice the strings when they go dull. Regularly changing the strings is not a bad thing though!
True. I went back to GC today and played that 2009 414 again. Same experience. Just a fabulous playing and sounding instrument. I asked the guitar tech what gauge strings Taylor shipped it with, and suprisingly he said they were 010's. I bought a pair and just put them on my 2006 414 ( 010 Polyweb Elixir's that is). Still not sure that's what it is. Maybe I'm just becoming obsessed?
If that guitar is still there next week, I may need to find eighteen hundred bucks somewhere . .
Old 07-17-2009, 11:48 PM

414s are shipped with Elixir "light" guage strings which are 0.012" thru 0.053". There's details on the Taylor website under the 414ce specs and also if you follow through the "features" section.
1987 Ovation Celebrity
1986 Squier '57 Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion