The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-03-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Tried View Post
Can any members recommed a place to purchase a new Vintage Geib Style, 5 Latch, Martin/TKL case? I have not been able to find a replacement.
I found the Martin and TKL at Elderly.
http://elderly.com/search/elderly?te...4&cname=Search

Musicians Friend and Music 123 has them as well. The 14 fret dreadnought Geib style case is model 12C-545. I haven't checked, but I'm sure you could probably get the Martin cases from Maury's Music and My Favorite Guitars.

All of the new Martin Geib cases have a burgundy interior. They are using a water based adhesive on all guitar cases and they "stink to high heaven" until the adhesive completely gases off. I had to keep my case open for 2-3 weeks until the odor dissipated.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:08 AM

Yes, I meant *sell. Thanks for the notice and I've edited the original post.
92' Taylor 410-RW w/ Fishman Acoustic Natural
09' Yamaha FG720S-12

Amps:
Vox AD30VT
Ultrasound AG-30
Peavey Classic 30

Wish List:
Yamaha LL16 Used (PM me with offers)
Taylor 355ce
Old 10-05-2008, 03:50 PM

At least one member at the UMGF Martin forum has experienced the bleaching in one of the newer TKL / Martin geib style cases with BURGUNDY interior.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:40 AM

Someone showed me a small room humidifier he had bought at Costco for $97 and did not require cleaning. If you have a small room, this might be the best way to go. You could even hang the guitars. My main problem with room humidifiers is the daily cleaning.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicdoc522 View Post
Someone showed me a small room humidifier he had bought at Costco for $97 and did not require cleaning. If you have a small room, this might be the best way to go. You could even hang the guitars. My main problem with room humidifiers is the daily cleaning.
The Kenmore multi-room humidifier I use gets cleaned twice per 8 month season. It has a pair of $15 wicks that have to be replaced about every three to four months.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:38 AM

Default My 854...is messed up from the inital run of these!!!

I used the first batch of these for a while on my Taylors. Worked great! I heard about the recall though, and figured I'd sit tight on a replacement humidifier until the colder months and then get something new.

I was going to change strings yesterday and saw what looked to be a couple of (dried) drops of 'something' inside the guitar, right about where the bottom bout starts. I figured I better take it to my tech and ask him if he could clean it out of there...I didn't want to mess with it. He picks it up and begins to look inside further...

He just gave me this horrible glare and said I better take a look at something. Talk about the tip of the iceberg? There is this black residue on the inside - it starts on the rosewood bottom side...middle of the bottom bout, and stretches all the way down past the strap button and onto the other side. Worse still, it's also on the underside of the top. It must have been like that for several months...I don't normally look inside my guitars with a flashlight. It looks like road tar someone splashed on with a paint brush. I'm sick.

So I have to think about how to handle all of this and what I should do first. My tech has a scope with a light on the end, and you can see the damage very clearly - the problem is, he doesn't have whatever kind of cable you need to save it to a jpeg, or whatever. He's looking into what he needs to make that happen and hopefully we can get some clear photos from that. He pretty much said it didn't look like it could be cleaned. It's a catastrophe - at least so far.

Anyone recall any similar experiences wuth 'Strike One' of the Humidipaks? How was it dealing with Mark Roldan? Are they responsible for the damage to my guitar? I didn't see any kind of disclaimer on their packaging.

Thanks, folks.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:48 AM

I got onto this thread late. What was the problem with the original humidipaks? thanks
Old 10-16-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicdoc522 View Post
I got onto this thread late. What was the problem with the original humidipaks? thanks
Some of the original ones leaked. After a lot of development, they have been modified and so far I haven't heard of any of the new ones leaking but a few people with a certain type of guitar case, ones with green linings, have noticed that it caused a lining discoloration.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Here is a picture of the Merle Haggard Limited Martin with two tone case! CLICK ON PIC FOR CLOSE UP

I'm sorry for your distress, but honestly I kinda like the two-tone effect.

Oh, and sorry for the post archaeology. Didn't realize it was so old.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:15 PM

Has there been any further development? Are humidipaks currently available?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 PM

this thread again? deja vu! on a side note, my local martin dealer tried to sell me a planet waves humidipak to stick in my in-transit 2-17, in leu of a humidified case. he flat out told me that there were no better cases on the market than the cases larivee ships, and that humidified cases did not exist. I told him he should hop on google and check out ameritage and calton, his reply was "i don't have the internet"

*shakes head*
Old 02-26-2009, 05:19 PM

Angry Since you asked!

Just to update my experience with the Humi nightmare...I finally got a replacement case for my Martin Merle Haggard from Cedar Creek (perfect match). Mark Roldan at Da quickly cut a check for the replacement cost...but...so far...they have no intention of addressing the damage to my guitar from the use of the packs....Mark says the damage is from "natural humidification" ...AND....they are not willing to reimburse me for the original cost of the 5 boxes and two refill packs I purchased.

My experience with Mark has been frustrating...I've received emails stating "we can't find any pictures you sent" "please resend pictures". So I send pictures, then within 24 hrs an email stating "we've already got these picutures" "why are you sending me pictures when this claim is closed".

He has advised me by email, to "obtain a RA and return the humidipacks for reimbursement" then within an hour, I get an email saying "don't return the packs" and the best yet......He has advised me that I'm not entitled to be reimbursed for the original purchase (5) kits and (2) refills, because they sent me (5) replacements. His explaination is that I can't expect to be reimbursed for something I didn't pay for...WHAT THE ??...so I bought $170 worth of Da/PW products which were recalled as defective....I waited months for a revised product....received only a partial replacment....installed them in my guitars...they proved to be defective again, causing damaged to my guitar and case....they were recalled and I'm now told that I'm not entitled to any reimbursement or compensation for damages. I don't know what my next step will be but I'm on board if any others have had like issues and want to take action. MT
Old 02-26-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Just to update my experience with the Humi nightmare...I finally got a replacement case for my Martin Merle Haggard from Cedar Creek (perfect match). Mark Roldan at Da quickly cut a check for the replacement cost...but...so far...they have no intention of addressing the damage to my guitar from the use of the packs....Mark says the damage is from "natural humidification" ...AND....they are not willing to reimburse me for the original cost of the 5 boxes and two refill packs I purchased.

My experience with Mark has been frustrating...I've received emails stating "we can't find any pictures you sent" "please resend pictures". So I send pictures, then within 24 hrs an email stating "we've already got these picutures" "why are you sending me pictures when this claim is closed".

He has advised me by email, to "obtain a RA and return the humidipacks for reimbursement" then within an hour, I get an email saying "don't return the packs" and the best yet......He has advised me that I'm not entitled to be reimbursed for the original purchase (5) kits and (2) refills, because they sent me (5) replacements. His explaination is that I can't expect to be reimbursed for something I didn't pay for...WHAT THE ??...so I bought $170 worth of Da/PW products which were recalled as defective....I waited months for a revised product....received only a partial replacment....installed them in my guitars...they proved to be defective again, causing damaged to my guitar and case....they were recalled and I'm now told that I'm not entitled to any reimbursement or compensation for damages. I don't know what my next step will be but I'm on board if any others have had like issues and want to take action. MT

Call your state's attorney general's office.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:14 PM

Cool Thanks!

Thanks Hambone, I have been advised....My next step is to send a certified letter to PW/Da reviewing the complaint, with pictures, and a final "demand for payment", wait two weeks, then on to a state complaint and / or legal action. I can't believe that PW /Da works this way.....I think my real problem is with Roldan....Buy the way...I've got two unopened Humidipaks, two slightly used and one leaking.....anybody interested?
Old 03-14-2009, 11:34 AM

Update: I've received a reimbursement check for the full MSRP for both sets of Humidipaks that I returned. I'm sorry it didn't work out, but to their credit D'Addario did make it right.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion