The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-14-2008, 11:00 AM

Smile Nagoya N12-18 12 String Guitar Owner

Greetings,

This is my first post to this list. I have been playing guitar since 1964 and started taking lessons in 1966-1971.

I took a few lessons in 2004 when I purchased a Washburn D9c Acoustic 6 string, but my pride and joy is my Nagoya N12-18 12 string acoustic that I purchased from Venaman's Music in 1973. This was a local chain in the 70's & 80's that operated in the Washington DC area.

This is a knock off of a Martin 12 string and still plays like a dream. The store had replaced my original one because the bridge was coming away from the body for some reason. I never had a problem after that. I did have the neck adjusted back in '04. I just started playing this guitar again.

I was wondering if there are any other folks out there that still own a Nagoya acoustic. I understand these guitars were made under that Suzuki Nagoya label and that the factory closed in 1977. If anyone else has any info it would be appreciated.

Regards,

Larry Harris - ComicVent
Old 08-14-2008, 11:28 AM

That 12-string sounds interesting. Any chance of a photo?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Larry,
Welcome to the forum..i am in DC area as well..

i remember Venaman's music..last store was in Springfield, VA..

the guy who worked there (name Steve) is now the store manager of fairfax Guitar center...i bought 3 guitars from him ..

for the Nagoya guitar, i haven't seen that many..
i checked the j-guitar.com ..but still can't see any Nagoya..~

Japanese Guitars that built in 70's and early 80's are great..

used to have Yairi, and yamaha..and loved the sound..~

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18
Old 08-14-2008, 12:31 PM

Greetings Comicvent, welcome the crazy world of AGF! Be prepared to begin to feel those wonderful guitars you have just aren't enough.

The Nagoya name I believe was a house brand for Veneman music in the DC area. They were/are fine guitars. I've had the opportunity to play many over time, and wished I had bought several back in the 70's. I've got a picture of me playing the Nagoya version of a D-18 back about 1974/5 when I still had hair.

I'm still in the DC area, so keep a look out, some of us AGFrs in the area get together from time to time.

Keeping GAS in check:
It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got
Sheryl Crow & Jeff Trott-Soak Up The Sun
Old 08-14-2008, 04:59 PM

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Just really getting back into playing and I like a lot of the Michael Hedges stuff. I really want to learn this technique.

I also have played my son's Jasmine Acoustic Electric that is not have bad. He took a few lessons and put it down. Now I have it and I need to see how it sounds plugged in. I have a PA system that also doubles as an amp that I use when I do some ventriloquist shows. Need to see how the Ovation sounds as well.

Cheers, Larry

P.S. - I actually would love to get together with some folks that play acoustic at some point
Old 08-14-2008, 05:01 PM

Greetings,

I need to snap some photos of my guitars. Never done it. I will post when I get a chance.

Cheers, Larry
Old 08-14-2008, 05:56 PM

Keep at it Larry. Many of us have come back to guitar after a long hiatus. You're certainly beyond me with the Michael Hedges stuff, but every player needs an audience!

Keep watching the Gatherings/Get Together part of the forum. I know there was some talk about a possible September get together, but I haven't heard anything about it for a while. I'd do it here, but my place is small compared to some and would probably have to put a cap on the number of people and guitars (check out the pictures from our last get together if you can find the thread... lots of guitars!!!!).

Keeping GAS in check:
Old 08-27-2008, 05:57 PM

Default 12-String Nagoya

I'm also in the DC area, and while I was not alive back in the 70's, I am in possession of a Nagoya 12-string. Does anyone know what the estimated value would be for this guitar? And is anyone looking to buy?

Let me know, reply here (I'll try to check it) or just send me an email at [email protected]

Thanks in advance fellas.

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized that I really didn't post much info, but I'll check out the specifics when I get off work...
Old 08-28-2008, 06:33 AM

Default info

Ok, so I checked it out, it is Model # 12-23 and is in better condition than any guitar made this decade. =D
Old 08-28-2008, 06:49 AM

Tony, you should post pictures. I would really like to see that.

My experience with late '70s and early '80s Ibanez acoustics is that they don't have much draw in the market. And Ibanez is a recognized brand name.

I don't know anything about your Nagoya, but since the brand is likely a house re-brand, and is certainly not well-known, I don't think you'll find much demand out there. My advice is to keep it. But, please do post up some pictures.
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)
Old 08-28-2008, 06:58 AM

Sugarpill:

From what I have seen is they don't command much value simply because they were generally unknown outside the DC area, so not very collectable. But, like my Yamaha 12, they have a sound that is worth holding on to, and a value that is not quantifiable in a blue book if you like the guitar.

Keeping GAS in check:
Old 08-28-2008, 08:40 AM

Default Nagoya

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 05:56 PM. Reason: 6 string
Old 08-28-2008, 11:11 AM

Don't get me wrong, I do love the sound, I just haven't found much use for a 12-string these days. I have a matching 6 string (Nagoya as well) that I definitely would not let go of, but the 12-string has just been sitting in a closet for years.
I'll try to get some decent quality pictures up when I have a chance.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:31 PM

Default Good to see this

Very exciting. I bought a Nagoya 12-string at Venemans in around 1976-77. Seem to remember paying about $250 for it. That's a lot more than unimogbert paid just 4 or five years earlier, but it was the time of double digit inflation! I left America decades ago and still have it. It is a beauty - but no one seems to have heard of it.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:44 PM

I had a Martin 6-string copy Nagoya that I believe was purchased in '73 from Veneman's. It was a fine guitar, but nothing special. It was my beater guitar for many years. Sold it 10 or 15 years ago.

Can't imagine getting much for one these days. No one knows the name and that makes it pretty much impossible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion