The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-28-2020, 12:46 PM

I use plastic binding on most of the guitars I build. I generally use CA ( cyanoacrylate a.k.a. super glue). If you use super glue gell and put a small bead of it right in the corner and use short pieces of masking tape to hold the binding in place you can work short sections on the binding, gluing and taping as you go. The gell will stay until the binding is pushed into place and then it will spread out to cover the joint. If the right size bead is used you won't get much squeeze out. Chamfering the inside corner of the plastic binding makes it fit a little easier.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermithollow View Post
I use plastic binding on most of the guitars I build. I generally use CA ( cyanoacrylate a.k.a. super glue). If you use super glue gell and put a small bead of it right in the corner and use short pieces of masking tape to hold the binding in place you can work short sections on the binding, gluing and taping as you go. The gell will stay until the binding is pushed into place and then it will spread out to cover the joint. If the right size bead is used you won't get much squeeze out. Chamfering the inside corner of the plastic binding makes it fit a little easier.

Thanks for your input that is what we want to do is be very careful and precise with the glue. Chamfering for sure. Should I use a small brush of anything to keep it in that right angle? I ordered 'StewMac Bind-ALL Guitar Binding Glue' I hope that'll give us a lil bit of time to to play with before it sets in place. We also ordered the binding tape, smaller and medium sizes and clamping bands. Appreciate your help.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:47 AM

I would use a fine tip squeeze bottle similar to what gorilla glue is offering. The "gell control" offering from others give you a small amount of glue in a large package so I would avoid them. 1 bottle will probably do the whole guitar, but buy a second "just in case".

Gorilla glue:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-...0103/205485334

The bind all glue should work fine too- it contains solvents so avoid getting it on the finish if possible.

Last edited by hermithollow; 07-29-2020 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:58 AM

Check out a hobby shop nearby that handles radio controlled airplanes, drones, etc. They usually have a selection of quality CA glues of various viscosity and in bottles with dispensing tips. Model builders routinely use it, and the hobby shop containers are often fresher than grocery store tubes of Super Glue.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion