The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-17-2020, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post

I have Gibsons for more personality, fun and musical joy.
Yessszzzzz

madhat.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:19 AM

I've owned dozens of guitars over the years from all the big boys and hand built custom guitars, but a Gibson J45 is the only acoustic that i would have if i was on a desert island, no interest whatsoever in their bad rep, there is a mojo to them that no other brand, not even Martin, has!!
Old 07-18-2020, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSE View Post
I've owned dozens of guitars over the years from all the big boys and hand built custom guitars, but a Gibson J45 is the only acoustic that i would have if i was on a desert island, no interest whatsoever in their bad rep, there is a mojo to them that no other brand, not even Martin, has!!
Now you’ve gone and done it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-18-2020, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Now you’ve gone and done it.
Well it needed stirring up a bit!!!, Seriously though i really believe that, there is some kind of mystique about Gibbo's that doesn't exist in any other brand of guitar, you hear people mention it all the time when discussing Gibson, i'm certainly not saying they are the best guitars out there but they have that thang!!
Old 07-18-2020, 06:13 AM

Oddly, although I own Gibson electrics I don't own a single Gibson acoustic. It has nothing to do with negativity or quality though. I've played a couple of wonderful Advanced Jumbos and I'm thinking that's the Gibson guitar I'd want if I ever get one.

Last edited by Dru Edwards; 07-19-2020 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:57 AM

This is exactly what my post #21 was referring to. Some people get this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapetrarca View Post
Agreed on the G45.

Just got a G45 Standard from GC and, I agree.....it's a GREAT guitar. IMHO, Gibson hit it out of the park on this one. Especially at this price point.

Fit and finish are spot on. Since I ordered it online, I did a full inspection upon receipt. Didn't find anything wrong. Even the inside of the body is clean and tidy.

Company politics aside, no negativity here. I'm a satisfied customer!
While others get this:
https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/buil...-es-275-a.html

If you have the skills to produce the first result, it is a decision to allow the second. This is the reputation G has earned for itself.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:18 AM

I could be accused of being a Gibson fanboy. I have a J15, a walnut J45, a Hummingbird, and a Dove. I've owned several species of J45s and other Gibson acoustics over the years. It's not the only brand I own, but it tends to be the one I gravitate toward because I like the tone of their guitars. (I also think they do a better sunburst than just about anyone, but that's a separate topic.)

All that said, I have never understood the brand loyalty/brand hatred thing about guitars. It always reminds me of those late middle aged dudes (my peer group) who go out and get Harley tshirts, Harley jackets, Harley key chains, Harley coffee cups, Harley tube socks, Harley tea cozies . . . Just to wrap their identity up in some advertising logo because they somehow believe that a "brand" or "company" stands for some kind of life philosophy. Hate to break it to anyone who hasn't figured it out, the purpose of a brand is to sell more product and that's it.

I play Gibsons because I like their sound, but I'm not going to get a Gibson tattoo anytime soon. Heck, I'm not even going to get a tshirt or a key chain . . .
Old 07-18-2020, 08:35 AM

I don't know all the ins and out of the Gibson company, but when I visited Sweetwater several months ago before all the closures, I played the 1934 Vintage Jumbo Reissue, among many other guitars. I thought this particular instrument was in the top five of any new acoustic guitar I have ever played, and that's probably hundreds and hundreds of guitars, lots of them so-called "elite" instruments. It was an amazing guitar, really dynamic, punchy, lots of depth. Had a lot of integrity in the vintage way, just a really cool, old-school vibe going on. I thought that if this were the sound and vibe that Gibson was after, the company nailed it totally. I see it's still on the Sweetwater website, too, so if any of you all need a Gibson fix...It's not cheap, but then really good things that speak to one's soul usually aren't.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
+1. It checks every box for me tone wise for any style of music. I was looking to add a Strat to my collection, however played a Les Paul Standard that felt more of my style. Gibson it is!
2018 Gibson J-45 Vintage
Old 07-18-2020, 09:46 AM

Gibson J45 Best Ever!!!!
May not be a boutique or fancy, may not be perfect in finish or whatever but gig after gig, inside, outside, just keeps going and is totally playable, one of the best guitars ever made period.......Like an old pickup truck takes whatever you throw at it and keeps on going. The one guitar I always go back to.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Well it needed stirring up a bit!!!, Seriously though i really believe that, there is some kind of mystique about Gibbo's that doesn't exist in any other brand of guitar, you hear people mention it all the time when discussing Gibson, i'm certainly not saying they are the best guitars out there but they have that thang!!
I have to agree that my two Gibson’s have a character all their own.
It is very distinctive and even polarizing to some extent.
The first time I ever played a J45, I wasn’t impressed. That was years and years ago.
I thought the world revolved around Taylor Guitars at that time.
Two years ago, I decided to try a J45 again and it blew me away.
That guitar is now in my possession.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-18-2020, 10:07 AM

I own plenty of Gibson guitars, and ALL were bought used except my '80 Gibson Explorer.

I expect some bruises and scars when I buy a used guitar.

If the guitar feels, sounds and plays great, AND I can get it for a killer price, then it's worth it to me.

Here are my best 2 Gibson examples that Love and I'm proud to own.

'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 07-18-2020, 11:11 AM
Runaway Tomato

I've owned and played Gibson Acoustic for decades, and have never had any problem with any of the guitars in regards to build or tone - except an overbuilt J-50 from the Norlin years. I think I've owned 5 or 6? They've always been great instruments, and I've never had to contact their customer service.
Quote:
Why don't I use Gibson Acoustic now?
Thanks for asking. About 2-1/2 years ago I ran head-on into Taylor, and my heart got stolen. I stood back, Gibson in hand, for decades, yelling insults at Taylor - but then when I actually owned one (my 110e) and used it on stage, I became a changed man. Saw the light. Had me a con-VERSION. Nothing against Ren (their former luthier) and Gibson, but my 814ce and even my lowly 110 are da bomb.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 07-18-2020, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsunburst59 View Post
Here are my best 2 Gibson examples that Love and I'm proud to own.
Wow, Tex... those are two gorgeous instruments!
Old 07-18-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Wow, Tex... those are two gorgeous instruments!
Thanks Kerbie

I think so too.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion