The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

View Poll Results: What to do with this piece of BRW
Mod D 11 29.73%
OM/00 with cedar top 6 16.22%
8-string guitar 6 16.22%
Nylon string guitar 3 8.11%
Leave it to the next guy, it's not that hot anyway 11 29.73%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2012, 06:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Take a hard look at the possibility of extreme run-out in the bottom end of the sides. I have had sets that look similar that could not be bent w/o turning into a jig saw puzzle. If it's like that, build the smallest guitar you can to eliminate (as much as possible) the lower part of the set as pictured. Or if it's not threatening in that way, feature the lower part. Very pretty flitched and semi quartered set in that case.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Take a hard look at the possibility of extreme run-out in the bottom end of the sides. I have had sets that look similar that could not be bent w/o turning into a jig saw puzzle. If it's like that, build the smallest guitar you can to eliminate (as much as possible) the lower part of the set as pictured. Or if it's not threatening in that way, feature the lower part. Very pretty flitched and semi quartered set in that case.
Thanks for your post, Bruce.

Would you mind sharing your experience by explaining how you visually identify whether it's truly quartered or in this case semi quartered?

I can tell obvious slab cuts from quartered sets -- but don't have quite the eye to understand everything in between.

This set is definitely less "classic" than the current OM build but I think it would look spectacular under finish.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

You can tell if it's quartered by looking at the ends of the board where it is obvious. I didn't mean to say it wasn't by the way, but merely that it has the appearance of quarter but may not be.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:09 PM

Thanks, Bruce.

And thanks to everyone who has voted in the poll. Mod D is still merely ahead, followed by those who think I should pick another set (I'm quite stubborn so no worries)...
Old 08-20-2012, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

This is a set that Ray is supplying, isn't it? I woul imagine he has a pretty good handle in the bendability of the sides, no?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:47 PM

Yes this set comes from Ray's own stash.

If it breaks, I guess he'd let me choose another set so I'm not too concerned about that.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:51 PM

Let me speak to the possibility of a crossover...

I have always liked the sound and the idea of a nylon string. Through the years I had 3 classicals and just couldn't bond with the neck shape and the lack of a radius on the fingerboard and sold each. Then, I decided to try a crossover and went with a Kenny Hill. It was a marvelous sounding and playing guitar. The nut was 1 7/8, so a little wider than I was accustomed to but not uncomfortable. After a few months, I discovered that nylon strings just don't work for me. The attack and the sustain is very different than a steel string guitar, almost to the point of being an entirely different instrument (not quite as different as an electric and an acoustic guitar but very close). So I sold it.

So... I would not go for a nylon string unless you've spent some serious time with one or two first. That is a significant outlay of time, money, and resources for a guitar that may or may not work for you. So, I'd pick up a lesser crossover and live with it a bit first before dedicating this wood and build slot to a crossover.

Ditto with an 8 string.
that's me on guitar
Old 08-21-2012, 06:55 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience, Royd.

I admittedly have zero classical repertoire. I even struggle with Romanza, the traditional tune that every beginner and their cousins can play.

But I've learned several instruments in my lifetime so I'm not worried about that part. My hands have been used to being stretched and abused for nearly three decades now -- and a couple of years on a nylon string would probably do the trick.

I'm mostly worried that it wouldn't sound right to my ears. I've played a number of non classical nylon strings, and they all sounded terrible. In most cases, even an intermediate Ramirez sounded better...
Old 08-21-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post

I'm mostly worried that it wouldn't sound right to my ears. I've played a number of non classical nylon strings, and they all sounded terrible.
IME, companies that specialize in building nylon string guitars build crossovers that sound more like classicals while companies that are primarily builders of steel strings, build crossovers that play well the sound goes in a different direction, often without the beauty of a real classical.
that's me on guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop