The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-22-2016, 11:51 AM

Default Marking on wood

It seems like a little thing, but it's super important to be able to see lines!!!

What is the best way to mark wood? Like rosewood or mahogany ... I've tried a white pencil, but it is just too hard

Simple ...
If you're not a noob haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-22-2016, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

I use mechanical drafting pencils, but get the heavier ones like .9mm not .5mm otherwise the lead snaps when hitting bumpy wood.

Or a sharp point marker, provided you intend to sand down after cutting.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-22-2016, 12:04 PM

The gold or silver gel pens work pretty nicely on dark wood.
et al
Old 12-22-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
The gold or silver gel pens work pretty nicely on dark wood.

I didn't want anything that would bleed or deep in.... maybe the gel is the answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-22-2016, 12:49 PM

Yellow wax pencils work great, like they used to use at bowling alleys for the "telescores..." I wouldn't use it to mark frets but more than accurate for everything else. Takes a fine tip too....
Old 12-22-2016, 04:01 PM

For doing what? Are you writing on the inside or the outside? On finish or unfinished wood.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowManSnow View Post
It seems like a little thing, but it's super important to be able to see lines!!!

What is the best way to mark wood? Like rosewood or mahogany ... I've tried a white pencil, but it is just too hard
Pencil "leads" come in a wide variety of hardness, from 6H to 6B. A 6H pencil is very hard and a 6B is very soft. An HB pencil is "in the middle" and is what most school children use.

For very sharp, precise lines, I use a 6H lead. For general woodworking, particularly on soft woods, I use a 2B. I use an old style 2 mm diameter lead and a lead holder. Back in the day, these were available in every drafting or art supply store. Now they are specialty items, along with the sharpeners for them. The sharpeners allow one to sharpen from a literal pin prick to a blunt point, and anything in between. Used to be one could get 2 mm leads in red and yellow, but now they are difficult o find.

For dark coloured woods for which a regular pencil line doesn't show adequately, I use coloured pencil crayons in a suitable color.

For gross marking on rough-sawn dark woods - marking dates, prices and similar identifications, I use a yellow grease-style pencil on dark woods.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:28 PM

I recently got a yellow colored mechanical pencil with .7mm "lead" that is made by pilot. I really like it since it allows a fine pencil line that is easily seen. The lead is a little softer than normal lead bit has worked great marking Ziricote for my current build.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

I use a pencil to mark wood. The trick is not so much the marking of the wood as seeing the marking made. And my trick is to have a bright light opposite the marks that reflects off the pencil line making it VERY easy to see. Learning how to place the lighting is one the keys to my success. I first realized it's importance when I was making windsurfboards and spent a week working in a professional shop in the Columbia gorge. I had already been doing that sort of work since 1963 and the gorge experience was in 1986, so you can imagine the "aha" moment! My current shop has a number of articulated desk lamps in strategic spots.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair