The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-06-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrummed View Post
I've been following this build thread since its inception. Gorgeous guitar and congrats. I was wondering; it appears to be the only guitar of the four pictured that has a sound port and how do you like it? It is perhaps the smallest sound port, at one inch in diameter, that I have ever seen and I was wondering how you settled on that size as being sufficient to the task? Once again, congratulations.
I should answer the last part of that. I began using sound ports around 2002, when no one, to my knowledge, was using them on a steel-string guitar. My thinking about them has only been reinforced by the work that others, such as Alan Carruth, have done since then. A small port is sufficient to make the guitar louder to the player and vent some of the mid-frequency air modes that might otherwise cancel inside the box. By keeping it small and placing it where I do, I both direct the most sound to the player's ear, and avoid raising the main air (Helmholtz) resonance, which would be detrimental to bass response. A larger port, like a larger sound hole, will make upper bass and baritone frequencies slightly louder, but at the cost of weakening the low bass. Since the upper bass and baritone range is already usually the strongest on a guitar, I think that would be a bad trade-off to make.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrummed View Post
I've been following this build thread since its inception. Gorgeous guitar and congrats. I was wondering; it appears to be the only guitar of the four pictured that has a sound port and how do you like it? It is perhaps the smallest sound port, at one inch in diameter, that I have ever seen and I was wondering how you settled on that size as being sufficient to the task? Once again, congratulations.
I have a number of other guitars with sound ports (1 other flat top, 2 nylon strings, 1 gypsy) some have larger and others have smaller openings. I think you need to judge not just the size of the sound port, but in the context of the size of the body and sound hole.

I believe the goal on this guitar was to keep the total openings in the body equivalent to the surface area of a round 3-7/8" diameter sound hole that is typical of 15", 000 sized guitars to maintain the Helmholz resonance and bass response. The oval sound hole had a smaller surface area to its opening than a round sound hole. The addition of a small sound port added some additional surface area to the opening.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 11-06-2016 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Apparently, Howard and I responded at the same time!
Old 11-06-2016, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the responses. Makes me wonder about those that just add a sound hole to their guitar on a whim! One of the reasons I like reading the Custom Shop section is the wealth of information that is available from the great luthiers of these times. If I've learned anything it's that attention to the tiniest of details really matters. Thanks again guys.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
I took a few amateur photos this morning in the Autumn sunshine of Howard's guitar that I thought I would share with you....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Howard's guitar I thought it was your guitar?
Quote:
That feeling will take a while...
Quote:
I spent about 3-hours today, A/B comparison of Howard's ABW 000/OM against my Brazilian Rosewood, Mahogany and Maple 000 sized guitars....

Ah, I see how it works now! It is "Howard's" guitar until you get your next one, then "Howard's" guitar will become your guitar. Very clever! Does your significant other see it that way, too?
Old 11-07-2016, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

She gave up on trying to cure this disease (oops, I mean hobby) quite a while ago...

Like the "Red Violin" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Violin) while I am the current owner, my instruments will hopefully live a long time beyond me. I always think of my guitar's makers as the guitars being theirs even though I am the current "owner".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Ah, I see how it works now! It is "Howard's" guitar until you get your next one, then "Howard's" guitar will become your guitar. Very clever! Does your significant other see it that way, too?
Old 11-07-2016, 03:13 PM

I have been remiss in my posts on this thread and I apologize. I am not a big fan of bursts....but this one is very very well done to say the least....the headstock came out fantastic!!! Congrats for sure, I bet the sound is out of this world. Overall rating, fantastic...

Tom
Old 11-07-2016, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Tom...sorry our paths did not cross at Woodstock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I have been remiss in my posts on this thread and I apologize. I am not a big fan of bursts....but this one is very very well done to say the least....the headstock came out fantastic!!! Congrats for sure, I bet the sound is out of this world. Overall rating, fantastic...

Tom
Old 11-09-2016, 06:22 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

One of Howard's finest builds. Gorgeous woods and aesthetics. Subtle fan fret.

JR
Old 11-10-2016, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
One of Howard's finest builds. Gorgeous woods and aesthetics. Subtle fan fret.

JR
J.R., while I am obviously biased, I couldn't agree with you more...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop