The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-14-2011, 08:06 PM

I didn't think I would get a chance today to put in the rosette, but I did so I thought I'd post a pic of it.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

This is an awesome instrument. I cannot wait for more photographs!
Old 11-18-2011, 05:22 AM

Your work on this so far has brought tears to my eyes...just so beautiful...

The rosette took my breath away...

Ray

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)
Old 11-18-2011, 07:51 AM

Thank you so much for the kind words. Documenting a build like this is like throwing your soul out there for everyone to see. It really does make me feel like all of the hard work is worth it when people enjoy seeing it. Ray, I have decided that the carved rosette will be an option for all of my guitars that have soundholes.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:49 PM

Whoa! That rosette is crazy stunning, especially against that top. Can't wait for more pics.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:24 PM

I've been working on the sides now that the top is braced. It was really time consuming to draw the whole pattern out, but it was definitely worth it. I had to color in all of the deep sections so I didn't forget something and then cut out the wrong part. So this is what I've accomplished in the last two days. The waist is going to be rather difficult. The curves won't allow me to set the depth on the dremel, so I'll have to carve those ones without the help of that.
Oh, and the back isn't attatched yet, it is just sitting on top for effect.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnelson View Post
Thank you so much for the kind words. Documenting a build like this is like throwing your soul out there for everyone to see. It really does make me feel like all of the hard work is worth it when people enjoy seeing it. Ray, I have decided that the carved rosette will be an option for all of my guitars that have soundholes.
I understand how you feel...thank you for this glimpse of your soul!

Perseverance might be tough with the scope of this creation, but look at how far you've come already!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and I appreciate the strength of perseverance that's brought you this far...I can barely imagine how difficult the waist will be.

I haven't mentioned the center section of the back yet, but your design of the mirrored leaf section there is fantastic...your wife was wise in suggesting you forego a rose...your creativity just continues to bloom...

Offering the carved rosette as an option on your builds that have soundholes will be a gift to those of us someday fortunate enough to to be able to commission one...that's a dream for me.

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)

Last edited by reholli; 11-18-2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Needed to say more...
Old 11-22-2011, 01:45 PM

I finally finished the carving! Now I can get on to bracing and assembling the body. I still will have a ton of sanding to do on all of the sections, but that will come after assembly. At this point, I have averaged just over 45 minutes per section, putting it at about 60 hours of carving, not including the 10 hours of drawing that it took to get everything lined up properly. Anyway, here are some pics of the finished carving.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:12 PM

Wow, what an amazing project! Thanks for sharing the pictures along the way. Can't wait to see it finished; it's going to be stunning.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:33 PM

Well, here we go again. I have the bracing finished and the box closed. I'm really excited to get on with the neck, particularly the headstock. I've spent so much time designing it, that it will be nice to actually get to work on making it.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:07 PM

That's amazing!

Would it be possible to fill in the back and sides with a clear gloss finish, so if you ran your hand over the back, it would be smooth, but it would be glass-like so that you could see all the carvings?

2011 Taylor Custom 12-fret - Cedar / Ovangkol
2009 Taylor Custom GC - Engelmann / Maple
2008 Taylor Baby Mahogany
2006 Taylor T5-C
Old 11-25-2011, 01:26 PM

Thanks Tony. I would have to say no on that. It would be insanely heavy if it was filled, and the back and sides would then be dead. I can't say for certain what it would sound like, but I would guess not very good then. But, that could be done on an electric guitar, with little effect on the tone.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:11 AM

I thought Somogyi's Andamento was intricate but yours is just mental...in a good way! It should be kept in a glass cabinet and never see darkness.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:21 AM

Fantastic beautiful work on such a fine instrument, no words can completely describe this labour of love well done. can't wait to see the finished guitar but don't rush it now after all your good work.

http://ableguitars.com
Old 11-26-2011, 03:33 PM

Thanks so much for the kind words. I've begun work on the neck now, and thought I'd give a little taste of what that will look like. I use a bird's beak joint, that I learned from John Greven's website. He has some wonderful pictorials in his extras tab that show how to do pretty much every guitar building procedure. I really enjoy making this joint. The only difference between mine and John's is that I handcut mine. I have nothing against doing it with power tools, but I just enjoy the process of doing it by hand.
In the picture with the drawing of the headstock, I show three options for the perimeter... blank recessed, ribbed, and floral carving. I'm leaning towards the ribbing, but don't have that set in stone yet, so opinions are more than welcome. Actually, opinions would be appreciated. Thanks for watching and participating in my build.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop