The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-02-2008, 01:58 PM

Default Going to Take Up the Mandolin

Hey All

I have played guitar for 30+ years and am considering taking up the mandolin, just to have something else in my arsenal at jams, etc. I played around with a friend's cheapo about 15 years ago and learned chords, scales etc.

Any good recommendations on a decent $500 - $600 mando to learn on? Not afraid of used. I know that import quality is excellent these days. I would love a Breedlove (to match my C22) but all I have found is over my budget.

Any suggestions on where to look (forums, boards, etc)
Old 06-02-2008, 02:06 PM

That's pretty cool. If I had extra money for a mando I would definitely get one. There is a luthier in Louisiana who makes mando's for a very reasonable price. It's www.elloreeguitars.com Rick is a really nice person and will do pretty much whatever you want for your price range. His stuff is all produces by hand tools and it looks like it was but the sound is pretty nice. Have fun
Old 06-02-2008, 02:14 PM

Eastman makes some nice playing and good sounding mandolins in your budget. Personally, I think it is worth saving up for the mando that you truly want. Also, a used Breedlove shouldn't be too far outside of your price range, though it might take some hunting to find one. My preference is for Collings mandolins, but they get pricey very quickly.

Bryan
Old 06-02-2008, 02:46 PM

Michael Kelly mandolins in that price range are nice. Shop around. Most brands in that price range sound and play the same. I have a Fender and I'm not happy with it. Too weak a sound and the small neck shape causes my hand to cramp. One with a thicker neck would help.
78 Tele
70 Deluxe Reverb
Old 06-02-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent47 View Post
I have a Fender and I'm not happy with it. Too weak a sound and the small neck shape causes my hand to cramp.
I have a Fender and I'm also not happy with mine. Mine is actually pretty loud, but not in a pleasant way - it leaves my ears ringing, which isn't good! I have a Collings on order and should have it in a few months. I've played a bunch around town and am really looking forward to having a great mandolin.

Bryan
Old 06-02-2008, 02:50 PM

Second vote for an Eastman. You can pick up an excellent A style (an Eastman 605 model) probably for less than your budget. It is a fine mando and will stand you in good stead for years as you learn what you like.
A friend of mine picked one up off of Craigs List for a hundred less than your low figure and it came with the Eastman hardshell case.
Nice little mando for bluegrass or whatever you want.

Dan
Old 06-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Look into "Mid Missouri Mandolin Co" or under their new name "Big Muddy Mandolins". These are USA made, all wood mandolins, mandolas, and octave mandos. They offer a wider fingerboard as an option.

You regularly see these for sale on EBAY, and some dealers have old stock available as well.

I have 2. One is an M11 all mahogany mando, and the other is an octave mando with rosewood back/sides and spruce top. You can't beat the quality at this price.

drive-south
Old 06-02-2008, 03:50 PM
There is none like you.

i would love to pick up this as well. How hard is it to learn ???
Old 06-02-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphersonnut View Post
i would love to pick up this as well. How hard is it to learn ???
I think it is pretty easy to learn, especially if you are accomplished on the guitar. The tuning is weird for a bit, but there are a lot of nice benefits for being tuned in fifths - chord/scales transpose easily, four note per string patterns are easy, etc.

I'd suggest getting a cheapo mandolin and working through some lesson/song books. I've bought a bunch (I'm a guitar teacher, so I figure they'll be useful if I end up teaching mandolin) and I like the National Guitar Workshop books. I think Greg Horne is the author. I also have several of Mike Marshall's books - his chord book and his book of Bach pieces are booth good.

Bryan
Old 06-02-2008, 04:27 PM
happiness

I can't believe this thread has got this far without anyone mentioning mandolin cafe http://www.mandolincafe.com/ which is the place to go for anything and everything you always wanted to know about mandolins!

But I agree with the recommendation for Eastman, or Big Muddy / Mid Mo - either of which would definitely be good value and a decent mandolin within your budget.

Fliss
Old 06-02-2008, 06:25 PM

I'll second (or third) the Eastman or the Big Muddy (Mid Missouri). I started with a shallow body Mid-Mo, went to a Mid-Mo with rosewood back (can't remember the model), then went with an Eastman 505, now I have a Carver oval hole, which is a small builder from Washington.

It's not that hard to learn, it just takes a long time . I don't think it's as hard as a guitar because every string set is spaced a fifth apart. Not like a guitar with that pesky B string. It sometimes makes guitar playing seem like work.

Looking back, I think I'd go with the Mid-Mo (Big Muddy) over the Eastman, but that's just me. I know some folks prefer the Eastman.

Check out the Mandolin Cafe, great site with excellent information and great classifieds.

Kevin
Old 06-02-2008, 06:57 PM

Thanks for all the Info so far... From my past experience, the learning curve was not too steep... But it did make for some interesting transitions when I would switch back to guitar. I played chop chords and a few licks on a couple of songs each set back then when our mostly electric band would go "unplugged". Broke up the monotony of a bunch of acoustic guitars driving away.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:03 PM

I just sold my Michael Kelly Legacy and it was a decent mando, but would have to agree that the Eastman would probably get my vote. MK playability is not quite as good as the Eastman, IMHO. You would probably have to buy used, as I don't know that you can get a new Eastman in your price range.

I'e played a couple of Mid-Mo's and as indicated, they are nice mandos as well.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 06-03-2008, 12:33 AM

I'm also a long-time guitar player, and I got my first mandolin for Christmas - an Eastman. Excellent instrument for the money. Besides the Mandolin Cafe, check EBay, http://www.themandolinstore.com (they are great at answering any questions), or http://www.giannaviolins.com/esmando...Inventory.html (also very responsive to email and any questions).
Old 06-03-2008, 06:31 AM

I posted a similar question several weeks ago (still haven't bought a mandolin, though) and another brand a number of respondents mentioned was Kentucky mandolins. I've also seen them positively discussed on Mando Cafe forums. Kentucky has solid wood offerings (or at least solid top) in your price range, I believe.

Chris
Alvarez 5040
1998 G.V. Rubio Estudio (classical)
Wechter Travel Guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments