The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-28-2008, 02:20 PM

Default Need Mandolin Advice

I've played acoustic guitar for over 40 years (yep, I'm old). Lately I've had a hankerin' to try Mandolin.

Any of you pick up mandolin playing after playing guitar? How was the transition?

Also, I'd like some recommendations for a decent new or used mandolin for under $500.

Thanks!

Rick
Old 01-28-2008, 02:27 PM
happiness

Hey Rick, good move! Mandolins are great

The font of all wisdom for mandolins is Mandolin Cafe ( www.mandolincafe.com ) but I'd say you should find the transition okay. Your fingers are used to fretting notes, you will need to learn some new chords and get used to fretting two strings together, but it has enough that will be familiar to make it a relatively painless transition.

Good starter mandolins in your price bracket -check out the classifieds at Mandoiln Cafe, but Eastman are a good starting point; or if you like flat-tops look out for Mid-Mo or Big Muddy.

Fliss
Old 01-28-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
Hey Rick, good move! Mandolins are great

The font of all wisdom for mandolins is Mandolin Cafe ( www.mandolincafe.com ) but I'd say you should find the transition okay. Your fingers are used to fretting notes, you will need to learn some new chords and get used to fretting two strings together, but it has enough that will be familiar to make it a relatively painless transition.

Good starter mandolins in your price bracket -check out the classifieds at Mandoiln Cafe, but Eastman are a good starting point; or if you like flat-tops look out for Mid-Mo or Big Muddy.

Fliss
Thanks Fliss!

One more question: I'm pretty much a do-it-yourself learner. Do you have any recommendations for a good DVD?
Old 01-28-2008, 04:16 PM

When going to the Mandolin Cafe , take a look at the ad for "The Mandolin Store " and when you contact them , talk to Dennis .....I just recently bought a begginers Eastman 504 from him ....This little mando is GREAT !!...It plays very well as Dennis did the set up on it ....He's a great guy to deal with , and has great prices ...Tell him Jim from NY sent you ....Tell him that he sent me a 504 ....Good Luck ...It's a bit of learning , but since you already play guitar it will be relatively painless...You will have to get use to new chording , and scrunching your fingers to fit the fretboard ...Jim
Old 01-28-2008, 04:35 PM

Default Did the same thing

I started with my first guitar in the '60's (a St. George, as I recall) and last year took up mandolin. I got an Eastman from Steve Perry - he has the website www.mandovoodoo.com. I picked up a book with mando chords and scales and a DVD by Ronnie McCoury, and I just sit in my living room in front of the TV and annoy, I mean ENTERTAIN, my family. I perused all the websites that have been suggested and found Steve and Dennis at the Mandolin Store more than willing to talk and swap emails - mine with questions, theirs with answers. The mando neck does take a little getting used to (pun intended), but scales helped me with that. Also, I found a teacher that teaches both guitar and mandolin, so as I'm learning a new instrument I'm brushing up on my old instrument. I find alternating lessons keeps me engaged and interested. Good luck and, above all, HAVE FUN!
Old 01-28-2008, 04:35 PM

As with guitars, you can spend too little or way too much for a mandolin.

I'm having fun with mine with about 6 months under my belt. It has been a great addition when we get a couple of friends sitting around playing.

A pretty good player suggested playing along with songs that I like. That has been good along with a couple of begining lessons. I have also found that using a zoom a4 I can record the guitar track of a song and then play along with myself... this way I spare others the pain of listening to me learn.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:05 PM

Rick, If you flatpick guitar the transition should be fairly easy. I played guitar first (flatpick) and was able to pick it up fairly quickly. Homespun has some good mandolin dvd's. I can't recommend any beginner ones, as I learned from books back in the prehistoric days , but I've tried some of their other dvd lessons (Steve James, Norman Blake, David Grisman) and enjoyed them . I've had the book "MUSIC THEORY FOR MODERN MANDOLIN" by Thomas P. Ohmsen, for many years and it's a great resource.

Fliss has it right that Mandolin Cafe is the place to ask for help.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:22 PM

Thanks to everybody that took the time to respond.

If anyone else has an opinion, I'd love to hear it!
Old 01-28-2008, 08:28 PM

I play both but I find that my progress on each slows when I go back and forth. The technique required is different enough that I have to concentrate on one to really get anywhere fast. Oddly, I've found it easier to combine guitar and Irish tenor banjo, maybe the single course strings or the more similar scale, don't know.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:27 PM

I love Mandolin Cafe. I always have it open in one tab on my browser, but I do have a caveat for you. If you read there long enough you will find a strong contingent that thinks you need to spend about $3000 to get a decent "entry level" mandolin before stepping up to really good $7000 to $8000 instrument.

Horse hockey. I have an opinion about that kind of thinking, but I don't dare write it anywhere. Don't let them make you feel bad about your $500 mandolin. Whatever level you get in at though, a good setup is very important (duh).
Old 01-29-2008, 02:21 AM
happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid1 View Post
Thanks Fliss!

One more question: I'm pretty much a do-it-yourself learner. Do you have any recommendations for a good DVD?
You're welcome

There's a very good instructional DVD by Chris Thile. It's also worth watching out for anything by Simon Mayor, and additionally there's a new Mel Bay mandolin book by Marilynne Mair which I haven't seen yet but it has been getting lots of praise on Mandolin Cafe.

Fliss
Old 01-29-2008, 06:57 AM

The transition from guitar to mando is not at all bad if you're a flatpicker. I enjoy mando so much that's what I play for fun most of the time right now. As the folks at the mandolincafe will enlighten you, you'll always pay a few hundred (to a few thousand) more for a "strap hook" - f-style mandolin. A models sound great and are always cheaper. Buy used to maximize bang for your buck. Mid-missouri mandolins always get great marks as entry level instruments. Eastmans generally are liked, though there's always the imports are great/I hate imports debates.

Good luck with your mando search! Make sure it's set up well for maximum playability and enjoyment, just as you would your guitar.

Rockbridge Slope D
Martin America 1
Woolson Soundcraft Sig
Old 01-29-2008, 08:10 AM

I just picked up a used Kentucky km 380s about 3 or 4 years old in good shape for 2 hundge. Beginners at the mando cafe spoke highly of them. For a beginner something like this or the km 150s you could get new for about 2. If you're just playing with friends, these should do fine. If you're performing you can always upgrade if you take to it. good luck, Rich
Martin dm 112
Carvin h2 holdsworth

Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and it's beauty.
Albert Einstein
Old 01-29-2008, 09:43 AM

I did it too. I started with an Eastman A style (a 605 i think). I bought mine new and it was a little over the $500 mark, but you can get them used for that. It has been great and remains that way. I've had it for three years and it is a fine mandolin.
I used Steve Kaufman 4 hr Bluegrass Workout to get going on the mando. I find that it is way more intuitive for me than a guitar and I'm actually able to pick out stuff by ear on mando much more easily than on guitar. Fiddle tunes lay out very nicely (since the tuning is the same) and are a blast to play. It also comes in handy when at a jam and confronted with "guitarmageddon" - nice to be able to play the mando for something different.
I predict you won't be sorry!
Have fun,
Dan
Old 01-29-2008, 10:15 AM

as someone who recently started

I'd look to spend around $1000 for a quality A style and wait to go F as the strap hanger adds a ton to the cost. Playability and tone will benefit greatly.

Get the Roland White lesson bokk and have at it. Be sure to use the CD that goes along with it.

Have Fun!

Thorn Artisan #154
Thorn Junior 90
PRS DGT
Martin 000-18GE
Weber Diamondback Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments