The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-14-2002, 07:48 AM

That's it. I finally found a comfortable playing position. I just hang by my toes from a rafter in the garage and pick away.
Old 04-14-2002, 08:48 AM

Talking I'm Catholic!

I have to stand when I play at church. I sit when the pastor is preaching
Old 04-16-2002, 06:03 PM

It kinda depends on the situation for me. I've been feeling more compelled o stand when I play shows even though it hinders my playing skills a bit. I've just been feeling so lazy sitting down all the time, like I should try and give more and stand up. But I am more comfy sitting down, and if you're in a swivle stool it;s even better! I love the interaction with the crowd. With a smaller more intimate crowd, you can sit down and really dig into the emotion and feeling of the song without losing their attention. But with a larger crowd you kinda have to stand up and move around just to keep their attention. This is especially true at bars! ****, some people just won't shut up till you point out that they need to shut up kindly. haha
Practice wise, I'll sitdown on my bed and just go at it. But if it's with full band, standing kinda gives ya more energy and it makes it more fun in my mind. I'd have to say that the perfect set would be both sitting and standing, sitting for some of the deeper songs and standing for the more energetic or angry ones. And if you're gonna play for a few hours, the stool becomes your best friend!
Anyone else here play better barefoot? I've found I'm more comfy with no shoes. It's hard to explain. Well gotta go, Peace to ya.
Matt
Old 05-05-2002, 10:38 AM

I prefer to play standing. My energy seems to flow better that way. And since I sing while playing guitar, standing helps the singing too.
Old 05-05-2002, 11:23 AM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

I do both. If I play and sing on a stage I usually stand. I like the 2 stools and 2 guitars feel sometimes also, so I sit. I sit when I practice...but I stand sometimes because if I never practice standing..... when I stand it feels unatural.

Ron
Old 05-06-2002, 09:28 AM

I stand, I sit. When I have a choice, I sit, with the guitar on my left leg in the "classical" position, using a foot rest. For me, this allows the most freedom of both left and right hands, and since most of of the guitar's back is away from my body, it vibrates more freely.

When I stand, I try to adjust the strap so that my hand position is the same as when I'm sitting. I notice a great difference in the ease of more intricate passages when the strap slips and the neck is too low.

By the way, I'm a singer, too (master's degree). It's entirely possible to sit with good singing posture, but I have to remind myself. It's a lot easier to slouch.

cotten
Old 05-09-2002, 04:41 PM

I'm a sitter all the way.....

Daren
310-KCE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell