The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-08-2008, 09:13 PM

Default Acoustic Resonator Guitars

Hello everyone... first time posting here but I've been lurking
around for sometime now. Great place.

Can any one recommend a decent low priced (under 300)
acoustic resonator guitar?
I've found this for 225 used http://www.wwbw.com/Fender-FR50--Res...r-i29561.music

And these 2 would be new;
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F1R7I2?...0&linkCode=asn

http://musiciansdiscountwarehouse.com/johres.html

Thanks for any info and ideals you can throw my way.

rbperk
Old 09-08-2008, 10:14 PM

The Johnsons that I have played have been very decent...especially for the price. This Regal would also be a good choice in that price range. I've never heard of the Laurel, so I can't comment on those.

But you didn't say what style you were going to play. I play bluegrass/country, so my opinions might not hold water if you're looking for a guitar for a different style of music. Good luck in your search.

P.S. That's what the alphabet would look like if there was no Q and R.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:23 PM

Hi and thanks for the reply. I'm looking at a round neck type that
would be used for BG.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:19 AM

The Johnson and the Regal are probably the best choices in your price range. They both make round and square necks. I play Dobro (squre neck resonator) and I've never heard of the other 2.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbperk View Post
Hi and thanks for the reply. I'm looking at a round neck type that
would be used for BG.
Hi. You mention that you want a roundneck to play bluegrass. This would be unusual, but hey, whatever floats your boat! All of the BG slide I've seen, heard and played is done on a squareneck played "lap style" with a steel. Round neck slide is played with a slide worn over a finger on the fretting hand.

Squareneck resos are set up to facilitate slide and cannot be fretted. Many, mine included, don't have frets at all, but do have position markers. Most of us started out on the cheaper resos, including Johnsons, Regals, Fenders and some that are worse, but these usually get "hot rodded" in a short time (new cone, nut, spider, inserts, etc) or are replaced by something better. There are good low priced dobros (everything is relative...) from Wechter-Scheerhorn and Gold Tone that are stage and studio worthy. Of course, you can get monster customs from a lot of places, too.

So, if you are thinking about BG dobro music, you might consider checking out a squareneck. It is a completely different approach to guitar, and can be challenging, but it sure is fun! You can get a lot of info on reso-nation.org.

Have a ball!

Stoney
Old 09-09-2008, 08:50 AM

Well thanks everyone... Maybe not so much BG, from what I understand, the guy I'm trying to get this for wants to use it
as a regular guitar for leads and such. Here's a good video of what I'm talking about.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=33240050

Last edited by rbperk; 09-09-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:37 PM

I got a real nice resonator from LibertyGuitars.com in all mahogany with a quarterman cone.
Taylor 815C, Taylor 410e, Taylor 314ce, Taylor 224ce-K DLX, Taylor 110e, Martin D-18GE, Martin D-14 Woodstock, Little Martin Felix II, Sigma DM-5, Sigma DR-41, Martin 000x1e, Washburn 314k Parlor-125th anniv, Yamaha FG730s, Liberty Mahogany resonator
Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Epiphone Sheraton II, Fender Amer. Std. SSH Strat, Ibanez SZ520
Old 09-09-2008, 03:39 PM

I love my epiphone biscuit, I play it regular style, not dobros style, and use elixer nano lights on it. Wolf
Old 09-09-2008, 04:29 PM

I've got a Fender FR48 (this is the chrome/steel job). I really do like the sound. Recorded with it for the first time last week and it has that clunky/hollow tone to it. Real sweet. I put a mic upclose to it and went from there. The sound is not only different, but the guitar can be heard from a long ways off and the banjo guy on the side of you will not bury you in his sound. ......The only drawback to me is that the darn thing must weigh 100lbs...lol....just kidding, but it is much heavier than a guitar. Rates up there with the heavier banjos.......Anyway, I think it was worth the money and I sincerely am enjoying it.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:58 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll check into some of these.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:03 AM

i have two resonators...one is a very inexpensive round neck (galveston) spider type that is fully acoustic and "not bad" that i use for jamming with friends. the other is a very nice,loud and sweet michael kelly bijou"e" that has full blending between a humbucker and a transducer...a marvelous instrument...i call her the "black beauty"...highly recommended!..both acoustically and plugged in this baby puts out!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments