The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-17-2019, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Default They Shall Not Grow Old

We saw the movie, They Shall Not Grow Old, yesterday. An amazing production about an amazing time. Anyone else see this one? There is an interesting 30 minute explanation after the film credits roll that explains how the original film footage was converted into this documentary.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

No, but I'd like to, it's playing locally at one theater. Probably will wait 'till it comes out as a rental, or on Netflix or Prime or whatever.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

This one is worth the big screen. And, as Paul says, the post-script is quite interesting. Don’t rush out of the theatre when the credits roll.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 02-17-2019, 01:19 PM

Looking forward to seeing it when it comes to town,
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 02-17-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
This one is worth the big screen. And, as Paul says, the post-script is quite interesting. Don’t rush out of the theatre when the credits roll.
Absolutely agree. I would go out of my way to see this on the big screen. Don't miss the "making of the movie" mini-documentary after the feature.

One of my friends saw the 3D version and was impressed.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:21 PM

This looks amazing. Unfortunately I think these are only shown in AMC theatres and there isn’t one near me.

Most people don’t realize the hell these soldiers went through in WW1. I didn’t either until I took a WW1 class in college and also studied the poetry from WW1 in a college Lit class. I can’t imagine what it would’ve been like to be one of those young teenage boys and having to be involved in something like that.

Hopefully I can catch this when it comes out on dvd or Netflix.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Saw it with our family. Really impressive.

Shocking to think all that footage was real and no acting or fake victims.

Very powerful film.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-17-2019, 10:29 PM

On my list to see.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:45 AM
Charter Member

Fortunately it was screened free to air here in the UK and have watched it.
My friends remarked that the colour really brought the subjects and the horror to "life". As an ex photographer, this bemused me as colour doesn't give as much opportunity to interpret and doed monochrome.

What did impress me was the team of lip readers who interpreted what the subjects were saying and how the actors added that.

...and now I know where the long held American belief that the British have bad teeth comes from!

As I have studied WW1 somewhat, nothing came as a great shock to me, apart from the wounded needing to scare magpies away from their wounds!
Old 02-18-2019, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

I saw it last week. What really struck me was the horrible living conditions in the trenches. Constant cold, mud, lice, rats, and not enough to eat.

My grandfather was on my mind as I was walking to my car after the movie. He fought in France during the Great War. Died in 1958, though, so I never really knew him.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:51 AM

Saw it a couple of weeks ago. Highly recommended. As well as the 30 minute Jackson-narrated 'how we made it' feature shown after.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-09-2020, 03:39 PM

Default Absolutely Must See

My grandfather was from Ireland and he served in the trenches as a runner when he was 14. He immigrated here in the early 1920’s and was the happiest person that I have ever known. He was head over heels in love with the USA.

I have read a lot about WWI but what the movie taught me that I didn’t know was how poorly the soldiers were treated when they returned to England. Veterans were perceived as “damaged goods” and they had a hard time finding jobs, etc.

In one scene they filmed a large group of soldiers before an attack in which they were all killed. They were so young.

Seeing it is a moving experience.

Russ
Old 01-09-2020, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

KenL, like you, I also had a grandfather that was with the AEF in France during WW1 and he passed away in the mid 50's when I was 5 or 6. What I wouldn't give to be able to talk to him now and ask about the time he was over there and hear from a veteran of the war what it was actually like, how they felt.

Haven't seen the movie but have been a student of WW1 for the past 40 yrs and after reading the illegal diarys and the interviews of many of the vets from England, Australia, Canada, France and the US, I'm amazed that people can go through what they suffered and still return to the world as functional human beings.

What struck me in most of the books I've read is the attitude of the enlisted soldier after a battle. When they've been in the front line long enough, and have survived a major battle/foray, they look forward to the next food issue since a 50 % loss of strength equates to double rations for the men and even an extra ration of rum (BEF). These aren't cold hearted men, they have lost friends and mourn the dead, they simply realize that they are alive and get some benefit from their survival.

For those who are interested, an excellent book to read is "On the Front Line, True WW1 Stories". ISBN 978084901-067-2.

john
Old 01-09-2020, 11:51 PM

Saw the film last year. It is an achievement. The adding of dialog after reading the lips of the soldiers was brilliant. I was just a tad disappointed there was not much aircraft especially since Peter Jackson owns the model company Wingnut Wings and a company that makes full scale flying replicas.

I also had a grandfather who was in the AEF. He died the same night as MLK. I did get to hear a couple stories firsthand about when he was in a gas attack. My father retold a couple stories that had been told him as well.

Mechanized war. Horror on earth.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjathon View Post
In one scene they filmed a large group of soldiers before an attack in which they were all killed.
That scene and the looks on the faces of those boys who clearly knew they were about to die haunts me still and I saw a pre-release 3D version at least a year ago. Seeing it on a regular big screen would only be a half step down from that. Seeing it on anything smaller is an exponential step down but no doubt still worth watching.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic