The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-30-2019, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

My 2010 Mazda MX5 (Miata)...

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:42 PM

Nothing much from my family (parents' house burned, with all in it, in 2003).

Got a nifty hat, though. My best friend made it for me about 43 years ago. Has a pocket in it, for a guitar pick
Old 01-30-2019, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

A Morris chair that belonged to my great grandfather and an Adamantine mantle clock that belong to my great grandparents on the other side. Neither is particularly valuable, but it's nice having that connection with the past. I think about it every time I wind that clock or look at the chair I'm restoring.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:07 PM

My father was a life long library patron. I always remember him sitting at the kitchen table late into the night smoking his pipe and reading a book. On his last good day, before the cancer took him all they way down, he and I went to the library. He took out 2 books about Howard Hughes because we'd watched The Aviator the night before. My most valued possession is my dad's library card.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 01-30-2019, 07:21 PM

My paternal grandpa's fiddle.

My dad said it was purchased by his dad when he (grandpa) was about 16, making the purchase around 1914. It's a nice fiddle, but nothing high-end. Before my folks gave it to me, they had Elderly Instruments do what needed to make it a player again. It sounds very nice. I never met my grandpa, because he died 4 years before I was born. But, I feel he is with me, when I play his fiddle.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 01-30-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frets4fun View Post
My paternal grandpa's fiddle.

My dad said it was purchased by his dad when he (grandpa) was about 16, making the purchase around 1914. It's a nice fiddle, but nothing high-end. Before my folks gave it to me, they had Elderly Instruments do what needed to make it a player again. It sounds very nice. I never met my grandpa, because he died 4 years before I was born. But, I feel he is with me, when I play his fiddle.
He is with you. He too, fingered and bowed the fiddle.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:11 PM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:25 PM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
My most valuable possessions are the memories I have of all the wonderful moments I shared with those I love.
Ditto...and as the unofficial photographer of life's moments, I will add the moments captured on film and now digitally.

It is not the most valuable possession, however my parents were married two weeks prior the U.S. entering WWII and one of their wedding gifts was a bottle of 17 year old Ballentine's Scotch. It has remained unopened with the NY state tax stamp sticker on it for 77 years. My Mom gave it to me when my Dad passed 25 years ago and I just put it away in the liquor cabinet.

Two weeks ago, while discussing scotch with some long-lost friends, I mentioned this bottle to them and showed it to them. They phoned me the next day to tell me an unopened bottle of 1941 Ballentine 17 year old scotch would fetch more than $1,500. I have no idea if it is true, however if it is, it certainly makes it the most valuable wedding gift possession still in existence which my parents received!
Old 01-30-2019, 08:33 PM

I have 2.

When my grandmother was a teenager "gentlemen callers" would send her postcards asking if they could stop by to see her. This was in 1912-1914, and the collection of postcards are just priceless in their innocence and corniness.

When my dad came back from WW2 he bought himself a Browning 12ga shotgun. We lost him to Alzheimers in 2010. I have it now, have never fired it, probably never will.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:34 PM

My Grandfather served in the Battle of Jutland . His war medals are my proudest possessions .
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 01-31-2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
My most valuable possessions are the memories I have of all the wonderful moments I shared with those I love.
Beautifully put.

This is where the adage "the most important things in life are not things" comes from. And it's so true.

- John Shedd
Old 01-31-2019, 03:07 AM

I don't really have valuable possessions. Although I have very expensive musical equipment pieces, I just consider them tools. But I hope when I pass on and I leave these musical instruments to family members they will become important to them. I have a good photo collection of some of my most important gigs and I still own many of the guitars I'm pictured with. Like others have said, the things that I hold dearest are my family members.

If I had to call a musical instrument a valuable possession it would be my 1964 J45, because it belonged to the mother of a very close friend of mine. She bought it new in 1964, and she used to play it all the time, and sing with it for everybody. When she passed away she left him the guitar, and because he really didn't play, he wanted me to have it knowing I would continue to make music with it. He sold it to me for way less than it was worth just to make sure it would wind up in my hands. I've written and recorded quite a few songs with it, and to be honest everytime I start writing a song it's the first guitar I pick up.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:27 AM

Family, Friends, Motorcycle, Guitars, anything in my music room and being given a second chance to be who I should be. Oh yes almost forgot...... all of you

Taylor 214 CE
Epiphone PR-5E
Yamaha FG430 with Fishman Prefix Blender
Guild OM-260CE Deluxe Antique Burst with Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend
Old 01-31-2019, 05:03 AM

My mother recently passed away at age 97. When we cleaned out her place, we found many photos I don't recall ever seeing. Some were photos of her in her early 20's and she was definitely a hot number for Shenandoah College. Many more were photos of my Dad around Marseilles during WWII, obviously not the the quiet , hard working guy I remember raising me. On the boat to France, he won several thousand dollars playing cards. He sent 1/2 home to his mother and spent the rest over several days in Paris.

The Army did not provide pocket knives so he wrote home to my mother and asked her to get him a knife. He needed it to open cans. When she got the letter, she assumed he needed it for hand to hand fighting with the SS and sent him a wicked 12" bladed Bowie with a huge steel pommel. He kept it his whole life and I got it after he died. I also just recovered a very heavy winter coat he won off a truck driver in France. When I wear it I often wonder about the poor schmuck who froze his behind off in and open cab deuce and a half for the rest of the war.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:03 AM

I've never really given it any thought. From a guitar perspective, my 1999 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus may be it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic