The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-30-2019, 01:07 PM

Default What is Your Most Valuable Possession?

What I mean is what do you hold the most dear NOT based on strictly monetary value.

I treasure a Greek fisherman's hat my father wore. It probably cost him $10.
I have it pinned to the wall in my bedroom. When I look at it, it fires good memories from different times, dad wearing his hat.

My best guitar has a dollar value attached to it and is worth that value.

My dad's hat... I cannot even put into words what it is worth to me.

How about all of you?
Old 01-30-2019, 01:16 PM

My mom passed away in December of last year. I have her cast iron skillet and dutch oven. I found them in the back of one of the kitchen cabinets. She had not used them for years. I cleaned them up and re-seasoned them. She bought them new in 1955 for pocket change. They are worth about the same now monetarily. I wouldn't take all the tea in China for them.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 01-30-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
My mom passed away in December of last year. I have her cast iron skillet and dutch oven. I found them in the back of one of the kitchen cabinets. She had not used them for years. I cleaned them up and re-seasoned them. She bought them new in 1955 for pocket change. They are worth about the same now monetarily. I wouldn't take all the tea in China for them.
You can't get the same feeling of cooking in a newer cast iron skillet as you can with the old ones. I've got my mom's skillet and dutch oven too! She gave them to me when they became to heavy for her to lift from the stove to the sink. She's still with us, but in hospice now.

Svea
Old 01-30-2019, 01:37 PM

Nice thread.

I am quite a nostalgic, sentimental guy. But a flood (and later, theft) claimed all my "sentimental value" possessions (along with everything else) a few years back. This included baby photos of my daughters, drawings they did, instruments I inherited from my uncle and grandfather....the whole kaboodle.

Right now, the material object I value most is a cheap Ibanez acoustic guitar I bought new almost 3 years ago.

I had thought for some time that due to health issues I was going to have to give up playing guitar altogether. I went a couple years with only a cheap, beat up ukulele but wasn't inspired...going through a very dark period in general.

After my wife of 21 years dumped me to move on to greener pastures, I decided to try my hand again. I've played guitar since 1977.

I started trying out guitars at local stores and pawn shops just to see if I still "had it" at all, or could play three-chord wonders for more than 10 minutes. Well, my skills had diminished a significant amount, but it felt good.

Ultimately I ordered an Ibanez model I had played in person and liked the sound and feel of, without investing much in something I wasn't sure I'd get deeply into again.

I've told this tale on here numerous times, and apologies for that.

But this humble cheap guitar has served me well. It's brought me (and hopefully others) hope, and I actually credit it with saving my life.

It means more to me than gold.

- John Shedd
Old 01-30-2019, 01:41 PM

Muddslide

I am glad you told your story. The Ibanez has special meaning to you. That is what matters.
Sorry you lost many other things.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:45 PM

Love this topic..

1: Wings my dad gave me from his time in the US Air Force, he was a b17 co-pilot. we lost him to effects from Alzheimer's disease in 1998. They don't make em like him any more.

2: when my kids were both in first grade, they drew an outline of their hands, and a little poem is written on the paper reads something to the effect, "you can look at this picture when I'm older, and remember how small my hands were today" it's hanging in my wife's sewing room and every time I see it, I do just that, remember when they were kids, (both are in their mid 30s now with kids of their own)

3: My granddaughter Nicole drew a winter scene for her art class when she was in 4th grade, (3 years ago) nothing more than an outline of a leave less tree next to a fence, sitting on a hill with snow falling all around. It's framed and hanging in our kitchen, that wall wouldn't be the same with out that art work from a 5th grader sitting on it.

These are just a few of my favorite things, there's more but I don't want to go on.

I like my guitars, but I have plenty of those, and I can always buy more, or another.

These other things, can't be replaced
Old 01-30-2019, 02:08 PM

My most valuable possessions are the memories I have of all the wonderful moments I shared with those I love.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-30-2019, 02:32 PM

I have several boxes of paintings, drawings, colorings, writings that my daughter made throughout her school years that I am planning to go through now that I'm retired. I can't wait...
~Bob
Old 01-30-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
What I mean is what do you hold the most dear NOT based on strictly monetary value.

I treasure a Greek fisherman's hat my father wore. It probably cost him $10.
I have it pinned to the wall in my bedroom. When I look at it, it fires good memories from different times, dad wearing his hat.

My best guitar has a dollar value attached to it and is worth that value.

My dad's hat... I cannot even put into words what it is worth to me.

How about all of you?
I'm 55. I have quite a lot of stuff that is priceless to me. For example, I still have a pair of cowboy boots my mother (rip) bought me when I visited her in Texas in 1981 when I was 18 year old. My parents divorced when I was 8. I literally have a pair of boots that older than most of the folks i deal with on a professional basis. I also have a Bear brand bow and arrow set that my Father (still living) bought when he was 18. I also have the HO train set he bought when I was 1 year old. I have way too much stuff like this. But believe it or not the most priceless (no intrinsitc value whatsoever) thing we have is a white Corning coffee pot with 3 blue flowers. These were ubiquitous in the 50'-60's. Ours is older than me. And they still make these apparently.

Last edited by Johnny K; 01-30-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:35 PM

It just may be a toss up for me with the caveat that one of them is not permanent .
The Parker Bros Dbl barrel 12 Ga that my grandfather bought new in 1919 .
The wonderful Airedale named Moosezilla sleeping on the chair to my right . I saw her before her mom did and before she took her first breath . I may be the first thing she saw when she opened her eyes .
When I returned from Australia , I brought an opal with me that I had mounted in gold shaped as a long necked turtle of my design . I wear it as a necklace ornament , but it is also made so that it can be used as a pin . I knew my mom would wear it as a pin to church . Sadly , she died before it was completed . There is much more to this story ......
Old 01-30-2019, 03:39 PM

I don't know. I have some nice things with interesting stories and ties to the past but in recent years I mostly value my family together, happy and healthy.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:50 PM

It's in my signature. I got it used, around 1966, with bad finish, lots of dings, and a couple of cracks. If it had been in decent shape, I would not have been able to afford it. I was 15, just starting high school.
et al
Old 01-30-2019, 03:56 PM

My younger sister passed away about 25 years ago.

I have a couple of photographs of hers, including a self-portrait, on the walls.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:06 PM

Can I name two ? My dad and my grandpa both played guitar. My dad still does. I now have both of their late 50’s Gibsons. I don’t think they are particularly collectible or expensive but to me they are priceless.

IMG_0562.jpg

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 01-30-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
My most valuable possessions are the memories I have of all the wonderful moments I shared with those I love.
This.

I remember a comic scene in a film (?)with Dudley Moore and Eleanor Bron:

Moore: " Do you ever find yourself living in the past?"

Bron: " ......... I used to.... "

I'm 71 soon, I have plans for the future, but I'm entitled to live in the past.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic