The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-16-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
I don't think Bruce likes me (LOL). ...
i thought maybe i irritated him.

i think that the existing classical title is ok, especially given the description. or it could be changed to classical/nylon.

i simply enjoy discussing the terminology, and i understod your point.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
i thought maybe i irritated him.

i think that the existing classical title is ok, especially given the description. or it could be changed to classical/nylon.

i simply enjoy discussing the terminology, and i understood your point.
Neither of you did anything wrong! Dave brought up a very legitimate question and in fact the term "nylon' seems to be the more accepted term these days within the industry.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment

Last edited by ukejon; 03-16-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:41 PM

mc1 and ukejon,

Agreed with both your last posts in this thread.

And Dave, you've got a good sense of humour!

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 03-16-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
2) No, this is demonstrably inaccurate. In fact, you aren't even correct about Sands guitars, which on the main menu has two primary designations,"Nylon String Electric Guitars" and "Classic". .
Yup. And if you'll visit that selection and go to the rosewood model at http://www.sandguitars.com/prod_rose_ds.htm and read the description, he says, "My Rosewood Model classical electric guitar is a close relative to the Mahogany Model. It leans a little more toward an acoustic nylon string guitar. It has the same standard braced classical soundboard, but the back and sides are constructed in a more traditional acoustic guitar style.

The sides are .090" thick and bent to shape. The back is a standard braced, two piece construction. The depth of the body can vary from 3" to 4". The body is bound in rosewood, and various purfling designs are available, including the ever popular abalone trim.

With no soundhole, this instrument has the feedback resistance of the mahogany model, but feels and sounds a little more like an acoustic classical guitar."

Really. Classical guitar. Similar text appears all over the site.

As I said a while back, Classical guitar = Nylon String guitar in modern usage for the last hundred years. The terms are polysemic. This section is not mostly all about nylon hybrid guitars.

I don't really think the OP's point and some of the followup points are well taken. You can't change common usage by fiat.

YMMV.

I guess if you still want to argue about it, carry on. I'm done.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucefulton View Post
Yup. And if you'll visit that selection and go to the rosewood model at http://www.sandguitars.com/prod_rose_ds.htm and read the description, he says, "My Rosewood Model classical electric guitar is a close relative to the Mahogany Model. It leans a little more toward an acoustic nylon string guitar. It has the same standard braced classical soundboard, but the back and sides are constructed in a more traditional acoustic guitar style.

The sides are .090" thick and bent to shape. The back is a standard braced, two piece construction. The depth of the body can vary from 3" to 4". The body is bound in rosewood, and various purfling designs are available, including the ever popular abalone trim.

With no soundhole, this instrument has the feedback resistance of the mahogany model, but feels and sounds a little more like an acoustic classical guitar."

Really. Classical guitar. Similar text appears all over the site.

As I said a while back, Classical guitar = Nylon String guitar in modern usage for the last hundred years. The terms are polysemic. This section is not mostly all about nylon hybrid guitars.

I don't really think the OP's point and some of the followup points are well taken. You can't change common usage by fiat.

YMMV.

I guess if you still want to argue about it, carry on. I'm done.
No one is arguing, Bruce. We are having an interesting discussion about the OP's original question. No one is disputing that the terms "classical" and "nylon" are still in play and sometimes, as you suggest, appear interchangeable. But the kind of universal application and meaning that you suggest just isn't accurate today.

2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2

Last edited by ukejon; 03-16-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
No one is arguing, Bruce. We are having an interesting discussion...
I was forced to listen to some very modern country music today on the radio. I was shocked, "How does this even pass as "Country?" At some time in recent yesteryears, all country fans were maybe thinking the same thing. Yet today, what I had to listen to is indeed considered Country-- just ask everyone! Even so, I'm not swayed by one luthier wanting to call an electric solid body with nylon strings a "classical." He may have *some* support in trying to change perceptions, or even by his own authority. What's wrong with the conservative usefulness of "All classical guitars are nylon string, but not all nylon string are classical guitars?" They say any definition in Webster's can potentially change due to popular misuse.

And why is this necessarily a discussion, not an argument?
Old 03-16-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHS View Post
I was forced to listen to some very modern country music today on the radio. I was shocked, "How does this even pass as "Country?" At some time in recent yesteryears, all country fans were maybe thinking the same thing. Yet today, what I had to listen to is indeed considered Country-- just ask everyone! Even so, I'm not swayed by one luthier wanting to call an electric solid body with nylon strings a "classical." He may have *some* support in trying to change perceptions, or even by his own authority. What's wrong with the conservative usefulness of "All classical guitars are nylon string, but not all nylon string are classical guitars?" They say any definition in Webster's can potentially change due to popular misuse.

And why is this necessarily a discussion, not an argument?
You are right, lets make it an argument! And definitions do indeed change. The ultra conservative OED puts in a surprisingly number of new and even slangy words each year. Fascinating....

And don't even get me started on that stuff they call "Country" today....Patsy and Hank would be appalled. Country music died around 1975.....that's my story and I'm sticking with it!

2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
Old 03-16-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
As I said a while back, Classical guitar = Nylon String guitar in modern usage for the last hundred years.
If you can show me textual references to "classical guitar" referring to flamenco and Spanish guitars dating back to 1915, then I'll be a monkey's uncle. And you can call me Bob. Until then, I'm sticking with my understanding that the term "classical guitar" in common usage was likely not until post WWII.

I'm just sayin'...

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 03-16-2015, 07:31 PM

Being new to this forum and this actually being an acoustic guitar forum I was curious why there wasn't a section for nylon stringed guitars and one for steel string guitar. This then would cover the full gambit of different types of guitars that fell in those category's.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
As I said a while back, Classical guitar = Nylon String guitar in modern usage for the last hundred years.
Perhaps (don't know about "the last hundred years") but as FrankHS suggests Nylon String does not always equal Classical, and this may be more and more true each year.

And welcome to AGF, eddieblz.

2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2

Last edited by ukejon; 03-16-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:43 PM

As for the post that said that discussions about the different types of guitars that fall under those category's should be put in the general acoustic area, as a person new to this forum I noticed that a lot of very good threads get lost in the sheer number of posts and threads started in that section.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:27 AM

still seems to me, it makes more sense to have a classical and a nylon discussion...letting the author post in whichever they feel is the most appropriate
LoPrinzi model A baritone uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany nui (big baritone) uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany baritone uke
Harmony baritone uke
Old 03-25-2015, 06:28 AM

Default Nylon vs Classical

I agree with the sentiment of the OP's suggestion of naming the sub forum "nylon" rather than "classical", but as has been pointed out by others, I think it has more to do with the music being played rather than the construction of the guitars.

I do feell that nylon-strung guitars with radiused fretboards and nuts under 52mm are still, or at least could be, classical guitars, though.

Hm. I think I just argued against myself. Maybe I don't have an opinion one way or the other, after all.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:19 AM

Classical?
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 03-25-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post

Classical?
This video contains content that is blocked in your country. (Canada)

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical