The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-03-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
To be fair I will ask you to qualify but that seems far from the truth.

You might be correct if you mean some apple products with storage part of the system board but I could not count how often desktop and slightly older or older laptops had same drive supplier and models as PC types. There have been many times when I’ve taken an OEM Apple drive in my PC-based drive recovery system and SpinRite only running from DOS has “seen” them and often recovered data.

There are some basic PC shops that have lower labor costs but our repairs at Apple Store or a local authorized independent are pretty much same as the first tier and business franchise independent companies we use.

The Macs are Intel-type personal computers. Now the PC world has same small form factor and highly engineered products. Getting the Windows systems repairs is much the same unless it’s an old school form factor system. Even the latter get treated much like a Mac in a warranty repair. They limit bench and on site repairs to the major components.

The problem with an unqualified independent over Apple’s authorized locations that can be independently owned is they lack the diagnostics tools the qualified location gets. For late model or stuff in the UEFI era you want the diagnostics that let you know what’s going in vs educated or poorly educated guessing. The diagnostics appointment is free at Apple Store or at least in my market area.
Not free where I live. The local was charging for diagnostic, saying if I chose to have the work done , they would deduct from the total labor. The SSD drives were being sold at Apple's MRSP. Not interested in paying $150-300 more for an SSD just to have Apple do the install. Not worth it.

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 02-03-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarsFromMars View Post
Not free where I live. The local was charging for diagnostic, saying if I chose to have the work done , they would deduct from the total labor. The SSD drives were being sold at Apple's MRSP. Not interested in paying $150-300 more for an SSD just to have Apple do the install. Not worth it.
I don't know what "the local" means, where you are located, you said "was", and it is only a month since my last appointment for repair diagnostics was no charge. We do have business team services but I always make appointments with my personal Apple ID.

The two of us might have the expertise, but I'm sticking with it being appropriate or at least a courtesy to advise the safe choice for someone who might not.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:20 PM

Well, I’ll let you guys know shortly wether I get charged for diagnostic services at Apple. I have the ol’ desktop in my suitcase on wheels and rolling it in to Apple to see what they have to say and if they are going to hose me for diagnosing the issue. This should be interesting because I don’t know Jack about what goes on behind that glass computer screen. Just fix it and don’t hose me. Ha!
Old 02-03-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Well, I’ll let you guys know shortly wether I get charged for diagnostic services at Apple. I have the ol’ desktop in my suitcase on wheels and rolling it in to Apple to see what they have to say and if they are going to hose me for diagnosing the issue. This should be interesting because I don’t know Jack about what goes on behind that glass computer screen. Just fix it and don’t hose me. Ha!
I still don't see what model you have. That will say a lot. You cannot have high expectations for a 12 year old computer. I it might be beyond support from Apple. The MacTracker I suggested will let you know. Depending on the OS version, the Apple Stores do help you with some matters. That's going to be limited if you're not buying a new computer from them.

Good luck.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I still don't see what model you have. That will say a lot. You cannot have high expectations for a 12 year old computer. I it might be beyond support from Apple. The MacTracker I suggested will let you know. Depending on the OS version, the Apple Stores do help you with some matters. That's going to be limited if you're not buying a new computer from them.

Good luck.
imwjl, Beats me what model it is, not even sure where to look to find out to tell you the truth. Not real tech savvy. Anyway, finally dragged it into the Apple store for diagnosis. Made the appointment for this afternoon because I figured most people woukd be home watching the Super Bowl. NOT. The place was freaking PACKED, I’m talking a literal shoulder to shoulder crowd and really loud too with all those people taking at once. I’m hard of hearing anyway so that wasn’t good for me.
Anyway, the tech looked at it, plugged it, said he felt the fan running and also felt something else moving in there so he concluded it was a “video issue,” would cost a minimum of 600 bucks to fix, and of course recommended no fix, and I concurred. Certainly not sinking 600 bones into that old dinasour. Looks like I’ll be going the refurbished route as many have suggested here and which I appreciate very much. Just a quick look on one of those links showed many nicely refurbished 8gig machines for 600 bucks. Oh yeah, no charge from Apple for the diagnosis and recommendation not to fix. And I sure can’t complain about the durability of Apple products. I think 12 years of service from a desktop computer before it died is pretty good service.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic