The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-12-2024, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-arino View Post
I live in a coop apartment. My next-door neighbor has been verbally abusing her son (now 10 years old) since I moved in 3 years ago. Their bedroom wall is right next to mine. I have no way to directly "prove" the abuse and the best I can do is send letters to the Board of Directors telling them she's abusing her son and complaining about her constant noise. They started to fine her. It's appalling. She does the same to many of us in the building. She's a mean, nasty, potentially violent person. It goes deeper than that.

A new neighbor just moved into the apartment directly above her. She went to his apartment and started in with him a couple of nights ago, telling him he needs to "obey" the building rules, etc. She never met the guy before. Yelling, screaming, etc. I heard it got ugly.

Turns out he's a detective on the police force. Nice guy, I met him earlier today. He smiled at me and said its being escalated to the proper authorities. So....there is karma.

In lieu of karma, the bat or the wolf pack sounds appropriate. There are people that are just malevolent.

Wow, that’s terrible to read about. I hope the kid has some other family to go to. Kids are the most vulnerable of us.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

"Wow, that’s terrible to read about. I hope the kid has some other family to go to. Kids are the most vulnerable of us."

Completely agree. I hope so too. I hear him scream at his mother now, just like she screams at him. Sad. Very difficult.

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 04-12-2024, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcmat-l1 View Post
Karma is real and it will have its way with that feller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
The penalty should allow for the same to be done to the perpetrator. Turn him over to a wolf pack. Added: and anyone who stood by and watched or participated.
Totally on board with this to that guy and his friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
I’m saddened greatly to hear of this incident. Hopefully the perpetrator will come to understand the horror of his atrocities and change his attitude and behavior.
People like that will never change, sadly.
Old 04-13-2024, 04:14 AM

This is terrible. No living creature deserves to be treated like this other than those that would do it.

If this guy felt he could 'show off' his actions in the local bar then what does that say about the others that frequent the bar?

YouTube
Old 04-13-2024, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
If this guy felt he could 'show off' his actions in the local bar then what does that say about the others that frequent the bar?
I was thinking the same thing.

But heck, people are going around hitting women in the face in big cities for no reason.

There is evil everywhere, I suppose.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-13-2024, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

But heck, people are going around hitting women in the face in big cities for no reason.

There is evil everywhere, I suppose.
Big cities make the news and especially from some sources, but a lot of crime is more equal, and a big concern I've had has been some growth in rural areas and not having that broad understanding. With our life between the two I feel both need same sort of respect.

Another concern is penalty for some crime has been reduced and gets people who are vulnerable in ways we don't always think. It's not a cruelty to animals matter but my following the dollar store issues is an example. That hits the working poor horribly, and is disproportionally rural.

Anyway, it's good to know and see the decency among those here. Decency and consideration for everyone are in my mind some broad solutions to lots of issues.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
This is terrible. No living creature deserves to be treated like this other than those that would do it.

Indeed however apparently either someone at the bar or someone else with knowledge of the incident gave the anonymous tip to the Fish and Game that led to it's investigation and fine and eventually brought attention to the incident

But you raise a good point which highlights why he might have felt comfortable enough to do that. And more importantly why the regulations are so lax regarding wild animals classed as "Predators" especially wolves ..

I think some of the local attitude and it's possible contribution to the very lax regulations, is that Wyoming in general initially was a cattle production economy and that a perspective of fear and often hatred for wolves migrated to the North American continent along with the European settlers with this fear and loathing ingrained since the dark ages . (If I remember correctly) a theory first purposed by Barry Lopez in his landmark book Of Wolves and Men.

Such that the first generations of ranchers felt justified in eradicating the wolves and that attitude was unfortunately passed down mostly unaltered thru the generations to the present .

So by means of possible explanation BUT by no means an excuse (there is none )

Because the livestock industry was also the major political influence since statehood. It was was major blow to the collective ego and that level of local control, when the federal government (over the objections of the livestock and hunting outfitting industries) re-introduced the wolves. And their has been a simmering resentment of that reality ever since .

And when the FED in an ill advised move turned over the wolf management to the states. Wyoming decided to make only the areas directly adjacent to the National Parks as regulated wolf management areas and basically the rest of the state as unrgulated "Predator" zones THIS NEEDS to change

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-13-2024 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Indeed however apparently either someone at the bar or someone else with knowledge of the incident gave the anonymous tip to the Fish and Game that led to it's investigation and fine

But you raise a good point which highlights why he might have felt comfortable enough to do that. And more importantly why the regulations are so lax regarding wild animals classed as "Predators" especially wolves ..

I think some of the local attitude and it's possible contribution to the very lax regulations, is that Wyoming in general initially was a cattle production economy and that a perspective of fear and often hatred for wolves migrated to the North American continent along with the European settlers with this fear and loathing ingrained since the dark ages . (If I remember correctly) a theory first purposed by Barry Lopez in his landmark book Of Wolves and Men.

Such that the first generations of ranchers felt justified in eradicating the wolves and that attitude was unfortunately passed down mostly unaltered thru the generations to the present .

So by means of possible explanation BUT by no means an excuse (there is none )

Because the livestock industry was also the major political influence since statehood. It was was major blow to the collective ego and that level of local control, when the federal government (over the objections of the livestock and hunting outfitting industries) re-introduced the wolves. And their has been a simmering resentment of that reality ever since .

And when the FED in an ill advised move turned over the wolf management to the states. Wyoming decided to make only the areas directly adjacent to the National Parks as regulated wolf management areas and basically the rest of the state as unrgulated "Predator" zones THIS NEEDS to change
My W state and your W state share livestock related attitude and similar laws in addition to my having friends near you from here all knowing of this. Ours has stripped or reduced all possible protections not federal since a 2010ish situation. This is very controversial stuff near the rules here but but at this point it's known the tourism related is more economic and employment but really old ways remain.

Of all things, the El Niño winter we just had that was horrible for the bigger tourism industry is creating some new awareness and attitude. It exists, but the predator impact on livestock is little for all the noise but an almost non-existent winter tourism season got the economic impact known.

I'm not insensitive to the predator matter being in the food business but the predator issue is only in some areas. IIRC, in those areas there's a barely measurable less than 1% loss. It leaves me thinking it is only natural for a tiny amount of loss but what a few lobbies do is hardly natural or logical overall.

Having grown up with a farm and other family business I also know it is not natural or realistic to think we can, should or have to do about all agriculture practices just about anywhere. Agriculture has become SO productive that marginal places and operations can't really compete anyway.

I'm glad to see the sentiments here but not so hopeful about wide-spread sagacity in how we live.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
My W state and your W state share livestock related attitude and similar laws in addition to my having friends near you from here all knowing of this. Ours has stripped or reduced all possible protections not federal since a 2010ish situation. This is very controversial stuff near the rules here but but at this point it's known the tourism related is more economic and employment but really old ways remain.

Of all things, the El Niño winter we just had that was horrible for the bigger tourism industry is creating some new awareness and attitude. It exists, but the predator impact on livestock is little for all the noise but an almost non-existent winter tourism season got the economic impact known.

I'm not insensitive to the predator matter being in the food business but the predator issue is only in some areas. IIRC, in those areas there's a barely measurable less than 1% loss. It leaves me thinking it is only natural for a tiny amount of loss but what a few lobbies do is hardly natural or logical overall.

Having grown up with a farm and other family business I also know it is not natural or realistic to think we can, should or have to do about all agriculture practices just about anywhere. Agriculture has become SO productive that marginal places and operations can't really compete anyway.

I'm glad to see the sentiments here but not so hopeful about wide-spread sagacity in how we live.
Don't get wrong, I am not advocating that predator control no be allowed allowed at all.. I am advocating just the opposite that there should be control BUT it should be regulated not unregulated as it is in much of the state

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-13-2024, 09:22 AM

It's one thing to kill a predatory animal that may be preying or intending to prey on your animals. It's a completely different thing to chase down and terrorize an animal and then torture it until you're ready to put it out of its misery. That "type" of person almost surely has some significant personality or psychological issues that makes them a danger to others.
Old 04-13-2024, 10:01 AM

Quote:
It's one thing to kill a predatory animal that may be preying or intending to prey on your animals. It's a completely different thing to chase down and terrorize an animal and then torture it until you're ready to put it out of its misery. That "type" of person almost surely has some significant personality or psychological issues that makes them a danger to others.
Bingo.....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-13-2024, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
For sure. If you read the first article in the OP's post you will see that the perp's friends describe him as having psychopathic tendencies, his uncle speculates that he was probably drunk, and his aunt (a bartender at the bar where he went to show off the wolf) mocks the whole situation by posting on social media a picture of herself with duct tape around her mouth while holding the pelt of the dead wolf.

Those people are just wired wrong ...

Rob
Old 04-13-2024, 01:30 PM

Sickening

Similarly in southern California the TV news stations are covering a video of a man walking with a little puppy under his arm. Puppy is barking until the man dropkicks the puppy out of the view of the camera.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 04-13-2024, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Bingo.....
Yes. This story isn't about hunting.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Don't get wrong, I am not advocating that predator control no be allowed allowed at all.. I am advocating just the opposite that there should be control BUT it should be regulated not unregulated as it is in much of the state
We're on same page. The quite reasonable and appropriate regulations here were dismantled. It has hurt natural predator populations in places where livestock are not, and with the minimal problem to livestock created some problems along the lines of this outrageous story.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic