The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-21-2018, 11:59 AM

i like the stale and unhealthy post for an air tight home, which is true, you really need ventilation, a god value r insulation is better, but i really cant see the purpose in overdoing insulation- energy efficient heating and cooling in the key, depending on your location is a toss up between heat pump and gas- my cousin in California has a summer home completely run on solar panels, but for a 24/7 family home, im not sure i would depend on them- this may be a good source for extra electric power to save a few bucks, but the initial cost of good solar power system would be really high IMO
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 07-23-2018, 06:12 AM

If solar is really a good solution, why is there not a lot more of it in commercial applications?
After spending 40 plus years in the construction industry on the mechanical side, R.O.I. is the answer.
It isn't there.
As far as individual dwellings, hey, go for it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 07-23-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

I have had 20 panels for six years, they have paid for themselves lf twice over, my only regret is not getting more panels. In my opinion they are a great investment and getting cheaper all the time
Martin Dreadnought Jr
Seagull S6 CW Cedar
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson L50 (1947)
Hofner Violin Bass
Old 07-23-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
If solar is really a good solution, why is there not a lot more of it in commercial applications?
After spending 40 plus years in the construction industry on the mechanical side, R.O.I. is the answer.
It isn't there.
As far as individual dwellings, hey, go for it.
Actually there are quite a few companies investing in solar to help offset their energy expenses. Target, Walmart, Costco, Macy's, Kohls, Apple...to name a few. They are larger corporations that have large energy bills.

There is an economy of scale factor here. Most small, local or regional companies just don't have the capitol to put toward an investment like solar energy. They are trying to grow, and putting that capitol toward expansion. Once they reach a certain size and their energy bills become one of their major expenses, solar makes more sense. Some businesses are more energy heavy than others and it may make sense at an earlier stage of their growth to invest in solar.

It is the same equation with houses. Larger homes use more energy than smaller homes so it makes more sense to invest in solar. People who own larger homes will likely have the funds to afford solar at it's current cost.

Inversely, tiny homes with very small energy needs, start to make sense to go totally solar and drop off of the grid altogether. These types of houses tend to be off the beaten path and it is expensive to get the power to their sites. That cost can be applied to buying solar panels.

Last edited by architype; 07-23-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:13 AM

I certainly can see the value and practicality of solar in "best case scenarios" and particularly in residential applications.

My comments about the commercial applications still stand. I am not saying solar doesn't have a place or that it isn't being used. What I am saying is it is a small part of what is being used and the reason is mostly money and practicality. Solar can be stored in expensive batteries but is best used "at the time of collection". From what I read, unless you have batteries, you have no electricity at night if you are 100% solar. The amount of electrical energy being generated by solar is minuscule when compared to hydro, which continues to grow as a viable source of cleaner power. I read figures of .04% on solar but who knows.
I am not anti-solar at all. I would love to use it in a heartbeat as a supplement if I lived somewhere where the sun shines 300 days a year.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 07-23-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I certainly can see the value and practicality of solar in "best case scenarios" and particularly in residential applications.

My comments about the commercial applications still stand. I am not saying solar doesn't have a place or that it isn't being used. What I am saying is it is a small part of what is being used and the reason is mostly money and practicality. Solar can be stored in expensive batteries but is best used "at the time of collection". From what I read, unless you have batteries, you have no electricity at night if you are 100% solar. The amount of electrical energy being generated by solar is minuscule when compared to hydro, which continues to grow as a viable source of cleaner power. I read figures of .04% on solar but who knows.
I am not anti-solar at all. I would love to use it in a heartbeat as a supplement if I lived somewhere where the sun shines 300 days a year.
Solar for the foreseeable future will only be a supplemental energy source.
As I stated in an earlier post I think it makes the most sense when your utility company has a partnership program to credit you back when you produce more energy than you use. I think we are saying the same thing.

I'm all for more wind and hydro power too. Especially when produced on an individual basis. I would love it if everyone could become energy producers. Small windmills and hydro generators are available. Of course, you need a moving water source for hydro.

Germany is producing about 35% of their energy from clean renewables, and between 6-7% of their energy from solar and they aren't exactly in the sunny south.

America is currently producing about 18% from clean renewables and about .6% from solar. There is a huge part of this country with enough degree days to make solar a much bigger part of our energy production. It is going to take time and willpower, (individual and political), to make it work.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Mostly all solar systems use a battery for this reason. The reason why solar isn't used more is also related to politics and lobbyists. I won't get into it here...
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-23-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Mostly all solar systems use a battery for this reason. The reason why solar isn't used more is also related to politics and lobbyists. I won't get into it here...
I have no doubt you are correct, and as with everything, there are many other complications involved here. I certainly can understand the pushback whereas literally tens of thousands of people's livelihoods would be affected and billions of dollars are at stake. I don't see much willingness to effect any real change in my lifetime.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-23-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I have no doubt you are correct, and as with everything, there are many other complications involved here. I certainly can understand the pushback whereas literally tens of thousands of people's livelihoods would be affected and billions of dollars are at stake. I don't see much willingness to effect any real change in my lifetime.
Actually, here is a good jobs report based with jobs by energy sector on page 29. Pretty eye opening for me.

https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/fi...20Report_0.pdf
Old 07-23-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick413 View Post
I have had 20 panels for six years, they have paid for themselves lf twice over, my only regret is not getting more panels. In my opinion they are a great investment and getting cheaper all the time
Looks like it would cost me approximately $20k CAD for solar ... not sure how many panels that is. I figure the ROI would be at minimum 7 years and more likely in the 10+ year range but I need more metrics for that. We do get foggy mornings and there's a little less daylight up here than in DE.

Did you get your panels to go 'green' or because of the eventual cost savings? I'm just looking into the savings part, so that needs to be there.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Got mine for the $$. At that time federal rebate was 30% delaware was 20%. My net out of pocket was about 11k. The key is having a southern exposure where I live. The only downside is that the price of SRECs has fallen quite a bit. Still happy with them.
Martin Dreadnought Jr
Seagull S6 CW Cedar
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson L50 (1947)
Hofner Violin Bass
Old 08-09-2018, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

I'm bumping this one up......
I'm paying about 300-400per month (depending on the season) for electricity. I have an additional building on my property that could hold 2/3 of the panels.. the back of my home would hold the balance... My other building has electric heat and A/C which I keep off 85% of the time... my thinking is, if I go solar and cover 110% of my electric use, I could also do a better job of climate control in my shop / man cave. The draw back is it'll cost about 35K out of pocket after the 5000 NYS tax credit and the 30% Federal credit... I could finance it, but with interest fees, its not worth it.... The warranty is 25years including parts / labor and shipping fees... but then there is always the possibility of the company going belly up, in which case who would honor the warranty ? decisions decisions decisions
Old 08-09-2018, 11:11 PM

Just started reading up on leasing type arrangements for solar in which the savings aren't much but there is little to no up front cost and the homeowner doesn't have to own the equipment. If this concept isn't one of the 'too good to be trueisms', could be a good way to go solar for people who are more risk averse, or are not planning to live in there house long enough to realize the monetary payback. Keep you posted on my findings.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 08-10-2018, 06:59 AM

When I asked the question, "Will I have to remove my panels whenever we have to re-shingle the house?", none of the solar panel salesman would give me a straight answer.

I have a field to the side of my house, and I think if I were ever to install panels, it would be out there.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
When I asked the question, "Will I have to remove my panels whenever we have to re-shingle the house?", none of the solar panel salesman would give me a straight answer.

I have a field to the side of my house, and I think if I were ever to install panels, it would be out there.
I did all my own install for my panels and went with a ground mount thinking I'd need to service them. It turns out that in three years, I've done nothing to them but brush the snow off once. Pretty reliable system.

If anyone wants to go solar and can change an outlet, consider installing them yourself. Here in Ohio, labor is about 1/3 of the install cost so that brings your payback time down significantly. Plus, we have a local co-op that will show you how to do it and volunteers that will help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic