The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-20-2018, 09:04 AM

Default Bent/crooked thumb when playing fingerstyle...

I watch other people play fingerstyle and their thumbs kind of bend on the side of the nail, or at least stay straight. I've even seen a video where Tommy Emmanuel light-heartedly jokes that some people's thumbs bend towards the palm! But this is exactly what mine does - and it just feels plain wrong!!

I've also read that there's more power and focus to be had when moving the thumb from the joint at the base, and yet I play by moving from the middle joint, which 'wiggles' at an angle (in towards the palm!) of about 80 degrees and I'm sorry, but it looks and feels ridiculous!

I know we all differ etc., and I know people have much more severe 'limitations' to deal with, and much as I can play with my thumb as it is, I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem, or if its even a problem at all?!?!

P. S. I really don't like to use thumb picks. I can use them, and when I do my thumb is straight(!), but I really like the overall feel and freedom of fingers/nails.

Last edited by Martie; 07-20-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:14 AM

Martie - IMO, as long as you can keep rhythm, it doesn't matter. Recently, I discovered a trick: If I put the thumbpick down further on my thumb (past the knuckle) I get more consistency and power. I got this trick from watching video's of Reverend Gary Davis. 'Nuff said!

best,

Rick
Old 07-20-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Martie - IMO, as long as you can keep rhythm, it doesn't matter. Recently, I discovered a trick: If I put the thumbpick down further on my thumb (past the knuckle) I get more consistency and power. I got this trick from watching video's of Reverend Gary Davis. 'Nuff said!

best,

Rick
Thanks Rick. I should have mentioned (and will add to the OP) that I really don't like to use thumb picks. I can use them, and when I do my thumb is straight(!), but I really like the overall feel and freedom of fingers/nails.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie View Post
I watch other people play fingerstyle and their thumbs kind of bend on the side of the nail, or at least stay straight. I've even seen a video where Tommy Emmanuel light-heartedly jokes that some people's thumbs bend towards the palm! But this is exactly what mine does - and it just feels plain wrong!!

I've also read that there's more power and focus to be had when moving the thumb from the joint at the base, and yet I play by moving from the middle joint, which 'wiggles' at an angle (in towards the palm!) of about 80 degrees and I'm sorry, but it looks and feels ridiculous!

I know we all differ etc., and I know people have much more severe 'limitations' to deal with, and much as I can play with my thumb as it is, I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem, or if its even a problem at all?!?!
It's only a problem if it's a problem...

Firstly not sure what is meant by the Tommy E reference but everyone's thumb bends towards the palm, that's how we grip stuff and make a fist, its a very natural movement for the thumb to flex as the hand closes.

As to how much each of the three thumb joints flexes to play a note, it depends entirely on your arm>wrist>hand position and where it places the thumb relative to the strings. The more you move your hand downwards (towards the floor) the more your thumb will have to play from a straighter position and move from the base joint, the higher up you hold your hand, the more the thumb has to work from the middle and tip joints. Whether you play with a straight wrist, deviated/dropped wrist (old classical style) and how much of an arch you have in your wrist also affect things (eg more arch means again you play more from the base joint)

Watch Stephen Wake here, his position (inverted wrist joint, wrist to arm is straight) means he has to pluck the thumb/bass notes almost entirely with his thumb tip joint. It clearly works for him:

Old 07-24-2018, 02:40 PM

Thanks Johnny, that's really helpful.

Just for clarification, I was looking at random pictures and this was the thumb position I'd considered 'ideal'...

Smells Like Теen Sрirit [acoustic fingerstyle guitar cover]
https://goo.gl/images/ta59eq

But watching the video you posted was particularly interesting because that's exactly how I use my thumb. It's just that I've noticed so many thumbs that really seem to arch back and no matter where I hold my hand I always bend at that middle joint.

I guess it's not a problem though, as I can get plenty of volume and control, and have no problem keeping time.

Thanks again
Old 07-25-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie View Post
Thanks Johnny, that's really helpful.
Just for clarification, I was looking at random pictures and this was the thumb position I'd considered 'ideal'...

Smells Like Теen Sрirit [acoustic fingerstyle guitar cover]
https://goo.gl/images/ta59eq
Hey I play that piece :-) (The Eric Roche arrangement)

Anyway, good pic - notice the high arch in the wrist which demonstrates one aspect I was talking about. It draws the wrist away from the strings and means the thumb is pointing more towards the guitar, as opposed to pointing parallel to the strings towards the headstock. This facilitates playing from that thumb base joint *if* the hand is held reasonably low. Compare with Stephen's wrist in my post.

Checkout Andy Mckee videos for lots more very bendy thumb/ tip joint technique, and if its good enough for a world class player like Andy...

Here's an interesting one, Pierre does arch his wrist like your pic, *but* plays from quite a high position above the strings (my other point), so his thumb is reaching downwards, and again he has to engage the tip and middle joints to pluck the string.

Hand positioning is a highly underrated aspect and yet critical in fingerstyle IMO.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:12 AM

Thanks Johnny. I've been looking closely and I've noticed that I actually move from both joints on various occasions. And I've tried several positions and it seems to be the same for me wherever I go. I also seem to keep setting in the same position, so I guess this is as good an example as any of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', as I have no problem playing the way I do. Thanks again

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write