The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-28-2018, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Default What are your playing goals?

At 63 the fact that over the next 20 years I may see a decline in dexterity got me wondering what my goals should be besides the enjoyment of playing. So I've come up with a short list.

1. Banjo rolls. I have to start practicing every day. I'm not looking for TE or AP speed, just some competence.

2. Better music interpretation. Play what's on the paper and what I hear, not what I think I hear.

3. More expression in my own variations of covers.

4. Write more of my own music. There's an untapped universe of music there.

5. Learn more about home recording.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-28-2018, 11:59 AM

I'm 55 and I have thought along these lines as well.

Items 2-5 on your list are on mine too.

I would like to get better at finger picking styles

Hybrid (or Chickin) Picking.
Travis Picking

I think my current default finger picking style is already a hybrid of Travis and Banjo roll styles.

I would also like to get better at Cross Picking and Sweep Picking.

On drums, I'd like to get my jazz ride cymbal ostinato as automatic as a golf swing so I can comp better on snare.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:36 PM

I'll be 62 in July. My list:

1. Continue to write songs and instrumentals (which is what I enjoy most).
2. Now retired, arrange all of my songs and record them.
3. Record my instrumentals (arrange those that will include other instruments).

Last edited by DukeX; 06-28-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

My newest admitted musical goal is vague. I want to expand my pallet to more fully express my feelings in any key at any time. I like to sit down, pick a key and play. It's always fun. Some feelings have a rather standard vocabulary. Others not so much. It easy to get carried away doing what's fun and easy. But I know there is more to be found and learned to make the music that's just outside my grasp.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-28-2018, 01:51 PM

Learn to solo / improv
Learn to play electric guitar
Learn to play bass
Play more blues
Old 06-28-2018, 02:53 PM

My objective has been the same since picking up the guitar again after 30 years away from it:

Let the music take charge, minimize distractions from the concious mind and accept what is without claiming credit. When the music flows selflessly through the ear, heart and instrument, the circle is complete.

As the essence of the ocean is present in each drop of water, each tone likewise partakes of the celestial symphony. One note well played...

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:49 PM

I'm mainly focusing on Travis picking at the moment. I'm lucky to have 10 minutes in the day to play, so not much time.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:58 PM

No goals at this point. Just keeping it fun.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:12 PM

I tend not to look too far beyond trying to get better at the piece or pieces I am working on at the moment.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:20 PM

1) Learn to play standing up with a strap - this is much harder than I expected since I cannot position myself easily to see the fretboard or my fingers.

2) Become competent enough with a handful of songs to rise from my basement and try an open mic night (we don't have basements in California, but you understand what I'm saying).

3) Make steady progress in skill and confidence each month.

4) Find a steady group to play with - surprisingly hard to find in an area with so many people.

5) Continue to irritate my grumpy neighbor by playing quietly in my backyard on beautiful California evenings (I only play outside occasionally, never for too long, and am very respectful - he's just a grumpy, irritable, curmudgeon vampire who wants to make everyone miserable. Not gonna happen!)
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 07-01-2018, 09:36 AM

Default Great topic

Just started back playing after 30 years away (turning 62). Have determined arthritis in my left hand limits dexterity but I still feel like I have a lot of opportunity. Focusing on Travis picking and, in general, improving my skills and ear enough to "Just play". Getting closer every day.
Taylor T5 Standard (2010)
Old 07-01-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
At 63 the fact that over the next 20 years I may see a decline in dexterity got me wondering what my goals should be besides the enjoyment of playing. So I've come up with a short list.

1. Banjo rolls. I have to start practicing every day. I'm not looking for TE or AP speed, just some competence.

2. Better music interpretation. Play what's on the paper and what I hear, not what I think I hear.

3. More expression in my own variations of covers.

4. Write more of my own music. There's an untapped universe of music there.

5. Learn more about home recording.
I'll be 69 in August and haven't yet noticed any decline in my technical skills. Except when I don't bother to play at all for a few days....
I'm not concerned for the next few years - I feel as healthy as ever - but it's worth thinking about, like you say. Intimations of mortality!

My main focus atm is on your #4 and #5. I want to get a lot more of my own music recorded, which I've been putting off because most of it is songs, and I'm not a great singer! (It's mostly written with other singers in mind.) I've decided that I ought to be able to vocalize well enough to demo them at least. I've seen enough examples on YouTube of guys little better than me (if at all).
Old 07-02-2018, 12:14 PM

I'm 68 and got a late start at age 60 but am having a great time. I play primarily fingerstyle and over the years have learned a number of songs that if you know the chords are open to much interpretation when played as a vocal accompaniment.
My musical goals at this point are to learn songs that have very definite patterns and very recognizable.
I am currently working on LA Freeway by Guy Clark, Can't Find My Way Home by Steve Winwood and a couple of old blues tunes.

I also want to start playing at open mics on a regular basis (have done it twice before but that was sometime ago).

This is a great topic!
Old 07-02-2018, 09:18 PM

I turn 50 this year. My goals for the foreseeable future:

- improve understanding of music theory
- memorize more songs (fingerstyle)
- take voice lessons and have better control and confidence to sing in front of others
- buy studio time and finally record a bunch of originals — could be a quadruple album!
Old 07-03-2018, 03:00 AM

It's about six years since I first picked up a guitar and tried to play. I'm now at a point where I can play a few songs without looking at chords or words written on paper. I can play hundreds of songs from my song books.I play at open mic nights a couple of times a week at local pubs and enjoy it when other musicians accompany me with bass, drums and a bit of lead guitar. My aims for the future are for me to be able to accompany others and to be able to join in with any song. To progress I am now trying bass guitar and I've also got a cahon to bang out a beat. Secondly I would like to improve my singing, my daughter who is a qualified singing teacher says I've got good pitch and can sing in tune but I make up my own rythmn therefore making it difficult for others to sing along with me. I'm 60 years of age and can say that since I picked up a guitar I've learned new skills, new friends and had a really great time, hopefully the journey goes on for a good while yet.

Avalon A12C Custom 2006
Gurian JBH 1981
Gibson J45 Banner reissue 1996
Martin D16GT 2006
Garrison AGGC 300 2008
Fender Telecaster American Special 2015

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write