The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-03-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I am less concerned about who builds the most, but tend to focus on who builds what I want. If I recall correctly, in a radio interview with Alistair for Emerald's 20th Anniversary bash, I think it was said that they currently build about 15 guitars per week. As usual, I may be mis-remembering.
<SNIP>
Assuming “AGF estimates” are near to being correct, that would put Emerald at 780 guitars per year, and Rainsong at 900-1000. If that’s the case, they’re pretty close in number of units manufactured. Not too close on gross revenue though, since Rainsong sells to dealers at a discount. Musicians Friend sells them with a 20% off coupon with shipping paid, and at a profit. (I assume). If one were to assume the larger dealers buy at 30% or more margins that means Rainsong would receive $1050 on a $1500 guitar.

Most dealers are commonly on “net 30” terms. Meaning Rainsong receives no money until at least 30 days after the guitar is shipped out. Compare that to Emerald, who charges the customer 50% several months before manufacture, and the balance is due before the guitar ships. To those of us who have owned and run businesses for most out lives, these are HUGE differences in cost structures.

But the Capt’n hit the nail on the head for me. I don’t care too much who makes my guitar, and I also don’t care how much money it cost them to make, or how much profit they make. I am mostly concerned about the value of the product to me. For me, Blackbird has crossed over my value line. At $2,700+, I can’t justify an Ekoa product. With Emerald, I want/need the ergonomic design to be able to have the larger lower bout. (14-3/4” X10 vs. 14” L13) But at 3K for an X10-L2 with a 24.6” scale, it is at the very edge of my tolerance for price. I’m really hoping the sound, fit, and flexibility justify the cost.

My X10 is supposed to be here around the end of this month. Kramster, I have to come up to Scottsdale every so often. If there are no other reviews of the X10 available, would you consider doing a video review of my X10 for folks? My playing skills aren’t up to the task. AGFers (and Emerald) deserve a lot better listen than what my playing could provide. (Not to put you publicly on the spot or anything..... )
Old 07-03-2018, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post

But the Capt’n hit the nail on the head for me. I don’t care too much who makes my guitar, and I also don’t care how much money it cost them to make, or how much profit they make. I am mostly concerned about the value of the product to me. For me, Blackbird has crossed over my value line. At $2,700+, I can’t justify an Ekoa product. With Emerald, I want/need the ergonomic design to be able to have the larger lower bout. (14-3/4” X10 vs. 14” L13) But at 3K for an X10-L2 with a 24.6” scale, it is at the very edge of my tolerance for price. I’m really hoping the sound, fit, and flexibility justify the cost.

My X10 is supposed to be here around the end of this month. Kramster, I have to come up to Scottsdale every so often. If there are no other reviews of the X10 available, would you consider doing a video review of my X10 for folks? My playing skills aren’t up to the task. AGFers (and Emerald) deserve a lot better listen than what my playing could provide. (Not to put you publicly on the spot or anything..... )
If the X10 does for that size what the X7 and X20 do for their respective sizes, it should be a great guitar. Right there with you on the 24.6" scale and the pickup option.

We aren't buying guitars "by the pound or weight." Many folks think a smaller guitar should cost less, but the difference in materials isn't a big factor. Definitely a few more square inches for the finish work.

I had high hopes for the X7 - it exceeded my expectations.
I expected a lot from the X20 - it exceeded my expectations.
Can't wait to see what the new X10 brings.

Looking forward to your NGD, Pine.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
If the X10 does for that size what the X7 and X20 do for their respective sizes, it should be a great guitar. Right there with you on the 24.6" scale and the pickup option.

We aren't buying guitars "by the pound or weight." Many folks think a smaller guitar should cost less, but the difference in materials isn't a big factor. Definitely a few more square inches for the finish work.

I had high hopes for the X7 - it exceeded my expectations.
I expected a lot from the X20 - it exceeded my expectations.
Can't wait to see what the new X10 brings.

Looking forward to your NGD, Pine.

I too was very happy with my X7. I have been watching all the threads about how great folks think their X20’s are, but with a lower bout of over 15”, I was worried about the size. The X10 came in just right for me at 14-3/4” with the ergonomic body and arm bevel. I’m hoping/expecting to be wowed.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:55 PM
Guest 928

I have a hard time believing that Emerald is cranking out 780 instruments a year. Given the custom nature of much of his work 780 seems incredible. then again, maybe he doesn't sleep.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I feel used somehow... but you know what..?? I likes it. You have to be in the video somewhere or no deal.Yikes I better practice. An i have heard of a place us in Phoenix call Snottsdale... might be same place.
If I play it and then you run off with it ..I might pine for it...or something like that.

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-03-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I have a hard time believing that Emerald is cranking out 780 instruments a year. Given the custom nature of much of his work 780 seems incredible. then again, maybe he doesn't sleep.

I have a hard time understanding how Emerald cranks out even 500 of those masterpieces yearly. Emerald’s innovation is truly to behold no matter what your guitar preferences are- wood or otherwise. On top of that Alistair creates Vai’s “Super Ultra” alien craziness and the “Phoenix” violin?!

I can’t stop looking at the new X7- as Gallom in Lord of the Rings says, “Me wants its”.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
<SNIP>You have to be in the video somewhere or no deal. <SNIP>
I was thinking you could video me strumming dampened strings while you (off camera) fingerpicked a tune. That way AGFers could get to hear an X10 played well;
AND
When folks ask me to “play something”, I can just put the YouTube video on. It would save on the inevitable comments from my new fans like, “Does Martin know you’re doing that to their guitars?”
Old 07-04-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I was thinking you could video me strumming dampened strings while you (off camera) fingerpicked a tune. That way AGFers could get to hear an X10 played well;
AND
When folks ask me to “play something”, I can just put the YouTube video on. It would save on the inevitable comments from my new fans like, “Does Martin know you’re doing that to their guitars?”
Very interesting...but silly
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber