The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-01-2022, 12:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Slide Comparison

Hi folks,

With our slide selection growing, I decided to attempt a comparison video of four different slide materials. All four are Rock Slides, and are the same size and length: glass, ceramic, brass and nickel plated. I'm playing on a National M1 tricone, tuned in open D.

I am not the greatest slide player, by a long shot, but I hope that you slide players out there might find this at least a bit interesting. One thing to note: National ships their resonators now with light strings (12's). I haven't changed the strings on this guitar, but in retrospect, I imagine there would be less buzzing on the first string if I had a 13 gauge or thicker string there.

Please let me know what you think, and thanks!

Old 10-03-2022, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Smile Thank You Larry

Nice comparison. Thanks for doing this

I have used dozens of different slides over the years, and my two cents go to the Dunlop radiused brass. The radius makes full chords on open tuned low action instruments much easier with way Less fret bonk and clatter.

I also use them for lap style! Which I often play on my JK customs with LOW action. Good thing they have Jescar hard frets!

My fave slides are the Eric Sardinias thin wall brass, as I find having a heavy slide on my pinky for a while can be fatiguing.

https://g.co/kgs/3MJ3gQ

Watch out, everyone, for glass slides breaking! I once had a thin glass slide get broken in my harp/gig briefcase!!! I had to disassemble and clean each harp and vacuum the case out…. sheesh

A leather slide bag would have saved me a real hassle!

Happy sliding to all and have FUN

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 10-03-2022, 01:34 PM

Very nicely done, thanks!

I'll give it a good listen with better speakers and headphones. I'm still undecided about types of slides, I can't even decide which finger I prefer to wear them on.

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies
Old 10-03-2022, 06:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Nice comparison. Thanks for doing this

I have used dozens of different slides over the years, and my two cents go to the Dunlop radiused brass. The radius makes full chords on open tuned low action instruments much easier with way Less fret bonk and clatter.

I also use them for lap style! Which I often play on my JK customs with LOW action. Good thing they have Jescar hard frets!

My fave slides are the Eric Sardinias thin wall brass, as I find having a heavy slide on my pinky for a while can be fatiguing.

https://g.co/kgs/3MJ3gQ

Watch out, everyone, for glass slides breaking! I once had a thin glass slide get broken in my harp/gig briefcase!!! I had to disassemble and clean each harp and vacuum the case out…. sheesh

A leather slide bag would have saved me a real hassle!

Happy sliding to all and have FUN

Paul
Thanks Paul! I like the design of those tapered slides - I'll have to give them a try. And I agree with you about glass slides. I like them a lot, but have developed an unfortunate habit of dropping them and seeing them shatter on the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJ View Post
Very nicely done, thanks!

I'll give it a good listen with better speakers and headphones. I'm still undecided about types of slides, I can't even decide which finger I prefer to wear them on.
Thanks for the comment! I think the only way to decide is to try a bunch, and try on your 3rd, 4th and 5th fingers for awhile. I prefer using the pinkie as I find that I have an easier time muting behind the slide that way, and also that I can more easily fret with my other fingers. Regarding the type of slide, it's really a trade off - lighter and shorter slides are more maneuverable and less fatiguing; heavier slides have (to me) better tone with acoustic instruments.

Its all personal preference, and there's no right or wrong.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Smile Tone

I too like the TONE of thick glass and ceramic, but have yet to find the radius I like and size I need for my (small) pinky.

I too, also drop a slide once in a while, especially while fiddling with my harps and rack and fingerpicks!

The brass ones are usually unscathed….

Thanks again Larry for the cool comps

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 10-06-2022, 09:47 AM

I like glass slides best, myself. If it's too big for your finger you can put some self-adhesive moleskin on the inside to make the inner diameter smaller. It won't affect the sound, just make it snugger on your finger.

Jack

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments