The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-23-2021, 07:12 AM

Default Hitting more harmonics?

I'm only able to produce a few harmonics in a few locations on my guitar unlike some performers. Is it my lack of skill or the adjustment of my guitar? Or both?
Old 04-23-2021, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Assume you mean natural harmonics (mainly on open string at frets 12, 9, 7, 5, 4 and perhaps 3+) (there are other locations possible).

Try picking closer to the bridge.

Playing artificial harmonics is more involved. Plenty on the internet (youtube for example) you could check out.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-23-2021, 08:28 AM

What harmonics are you getting?
That might help with pointing ways to some more.

If you are fretting a string, there's definitely a harmonic 12 frets up from that.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-23-2021, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
I'm only able to produce a few harmonics in a few locations on my guitar unlike some performers. Is it my lack of skill or the adjustment of my guitar? Or both?
Hi Cecil

I have one guitar which forces me to be more precise when playing harmonics on frets 7, 5, & 3-ish.

I sometimes resort to using my pinky which has a smaller area of contact with the string. There is nothing 'magic' about harmonics - just math in motion!

I also do a thumb-n-first-finger sidewise 'pinch' (with the fretting hand) on strings while doing fretted harmonics. I'm actually touching the string using the thumb and the pinch activates the string. The thumb hits the harmonic 'spot'.

I've seen folks reverse that and 'touch' the harmonic point from above with the first finger, and reach around and pluck the thumb behind the finger to pluck the string.

Fun experiments.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-23-2021, 09:15 AM

Just for fun, I sometimes get chords with harmonics. Just slapping (or chopping) the strings with the side of the thumb, 12 frets up from open strings or, for example, "A-shape" fretted chord gets me that.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Old 04-23-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
It's more of a developed skill.

There are 3 locations for natural harmonics, in descending order of volume:

12 fret
7th fret
5th fret

There are a few other locations that can produce a note, but the pitch is too far from equal temperament, so they aren't highly useful.

Maybe if you told us how you are doing it now, we could suggest ways to improve.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-03-2021, 09:26 AM

Sorry for taking so long to get back. I use a technique I learned as in touching the string at the fret and quickly fingering or picking the string. This works quite well on the 12th fret but not so much anywhere else.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Sorry for taking so long to get back. I use a technique I learned as in touching the string at the fret and quickly fingering or picking the string. This works quite well on the 12th fret but not so much anywhere else.
I've never had a guitar that didn't give me a harmonic at 5th and 7th fret, too. Or 12 frets up from any fretted note. It does take some precision to get the gentle touch placed just right, over the fret wire. And timing to remove the touching finger as soon as you pick the string. If the finger stays there too long, it will mute the harmonic.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
...touching the string at the fret...
Are you touching the strings directly over the frets? Harmonics are not like normal playing, where your fingers press the strings behind the frets.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanKliman View Post
Are you touching the strings directly over the frets? Harmonics are not like normal playing, where your fingers press the strings behind the frets.
Yes over the fret.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
I've never had a guitar that didn't give me a harmonic at 5th and 7th fret, too. Or 12 frets up from any fretted note. It does take some precision to get the gentle touch placed just right, over the fret wire. And timing to remove the touching finger as soon as you pick the string. If the finger stays there too long, it will mute the harmonic.
Well I guess I'll have to work on it then.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Well I guess I'll have to work on it then.
Some guitars or strings could be more stubborn? What kind of strings do you have and what guitar? Can you try some other guitar? It is pretty much a law of physics that the harmonics are there. The finger that touches the string basically removes some frequencies from the complex string vibration, so what remains is that very pure note.

Touching the string to get the harmonic only needs to be a gentle touch. No pressing or pushing the string: just barely touching it briefly at the right moment.

(Pinch harmonics, as mainly used by electric players, is a pretty different animal. There, it is usually the thumb that holds a pick, touching the string, and somehow pretty forceful touching works)
Old 05-03-2021, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Reminder - pick string closer to the bridge and you will get a stronger harmonic, especially on the non 12th fret ones.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-03-2021, 01:07 PM

And take your left hand (if you're right-handed) off the string as soon as you pluck it. Without seeing what you're doing, we're kind of playing detective here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write