The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-07-2020, 04:15 PM

Default Synergy Instruments

Hey guys. I haven't posted at the AGF in a while, but pop in to read now and again. I used to be involved over at the old MacNichol forum too. I can't remember what name I used. It might've been "jer".

I haven't seen mention of this here yet, so wanted to link you guys to a new CF builder.

Synergy Instruments based up in Canada:
https://www.synergyinstruments.com/

They just launched their site yesterday, so still working on it. They are building guitars and ukes. I mostly know of them due to the latter. I'm guessing some of you will want to get your hands on one.

I am not affiliated with them. This is just a friendly public service announcement.

Last edited by gitarpraz; 10-07-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:29 PM
Guest 928

Holy Moly! More work for AC. Everyone's collecting carbon credits.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:02 PM

Evan,

Think they'll make a special slim body for you in nylon? I am guessing you have already asked.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 10-07-2020, 08:02 PM
Guest 928

Tom;

I have not. I've been checking into the possibility of a Blackbird Ekoa, An All Strings wooden version of my X10 acoustic, and maintaining interest in the Canna. That's more than enough busy to keep me busy. Thanks for asking.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:51 AM

If you guys have any questions you can ask them here too. I wrote a note to them and told them abou this thread. One of the guys said they'd plan to stop by and try to answer anything that comes up.
From what I've seen from the uke side of things they seem really willing to work with people and very open to any sort of suggestions, constructive criticisms, etc.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:21 AM
Guest 928

I'm not sure if the company does nylon but I've listened to the sound samples and think the slim sounds really good. The prices seems to be very reasonable. It's interesting that Ekoa is mentioned as a possible future offering. Definitely a company worth checking out.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:41 AM

Yeah. The prices definitely seem reasonable.

If I remember correctly, they get some of their materials from Lingrove.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I'm not sure if the company does nylon but I've listened to the sound samples and think the slim sounds really good. The prices seem to be very reasonable. It's interesting that Ekoa is mentioned as a possible future offering. Definitely a company worth checking out.
Evan... they do a full range of CF ukes..including a baritone. Short skip to a nylon guitar :-). Very interesting as their uke prices are close to outdoor ukes and are a full CF it appears. Like that they come in both gloss and my fav... matte !!
Old 05-11-2021, 05:35 AM

Default Anyone tried Synergy?

Anyone tried a Synergy instrument? Thoughts?
Old 05-11-2021, 10:59 AM

There are early reports at the ukululeunderground forum.

Ordered a baritone uke end of Nov eta 4-6 weeks.

After covid delays got an email end of March that it would ship 'next week'. Sadly, Ontario went back into shutdown. Waiting for restrictions to be relaxed.

Shipping status has been stuck at 'label created' for six weeks. Hoping I'll get to play it next month.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany

Last edited by casualmusic; 05-11-2021 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:03 PM
Guest 928

Casual;

I've just ordered a 6 string Caramel Baritone Uke to be tuned like a guitar (thinking small, easy travel & adaptation). I was wondering why I could not find a CF Baritone Uke and here you come up with one, almost. I look forward to your report.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:13 PM
Guest 928

Casual;

Did you customize your order in any way? The nut width would be a no-deal for me--too narrow. Can yours be tuned like a guitar, dgbe?

Also, have you seen the enya? It's a concert supposedly made with CF. I've had one sent to my daughter and have not heard back. I have asked that if she doesn't like it to re-gift it to me.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:41 PM

I have no clue about ukuleles but I see that they are available in a few sizes. The available guitars look like niche products: the slim acoustic (2" thick body) and the 8 string fan fret electric. Perhaps they have picked guitar niches where there isn't too much competition yet?
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-12-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
I have no clue about ukuleles but I see that they are available in a few sizes. The available guitars look like niche products: the slim acoustic (2" thick body) and the 8 string fan fret electric. Perhaps they have picked guitar niches where there isn't too much competition yet?
Agreed. I was a bit put off by the fact that the two guitars they offer are nothing that I would be interested in. Seems to me that if volume sales was their goal they would offer something more mainstream.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:29 PM

Synergy is a tiny start-up company and they'll need some time to figure out their business plan and a successful product line-up.

Carbon fibre instruments is a tough market with total annual world sales of a few thousand guitars.

Synergy will need to figure out how to get a profitable foothold in the $1000-1500 moderate priced market occupied by Journey, KLOS, Lava, Enya.

Or the expensive and narrow $2500-4000 market where RainSong, Emerald, McPherson, Blackbird took years to expand from less than 100 up to a few hundred guitars a year. And where Composite Acoustics went out of business in 2014 and again in 2019.

It's interesting to see if moderate price carbon fibre guitars will attract more customers. And whether they will be popular sooner in North America or Asia.

Cheers.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber