The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-20-2021, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Default Downtown music walk.

The spring downtown music walk is next week. A wonderful opportunity for us musicians that aren't quite prime time. The downtown businesses stay open late and many of them sponsor musicians inside their store or right outside on the sidewalk. I'm in a clothing store. Fourth time I've been invited to play there. They either like me or I'm easy to get. Either way, I cut my musical teeth performing there so it is always something I look forward to. Another good thing, several festivals and venues through the summer and fall require an audition tape and that is waived for music walk participants. So I'm set.

My challenge right now though is that I'm a ukulele player tried and true. I have never performed on guitar. I'm taking one with me and if I get the nerve up I have a half dozen of the songs that I could go with on the guitar instead, maybe more if I got caught up with it. The biggest problem I'm having right now is strumming soft enough that I'm not yelling to sing over the guitar. I have gotten the left hand working well, it is the right hand that isn't cooperating. It might be worse even in a small clothing store with my audience almost on top of me. I'm sure that I'll get it worked out eventually just not sure it will be next week. We will see what happens I guess.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 04-20-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Sounds very cool!

Regarding the vocal/guitar balance getting out of whack---what works for me is to ditch the pic, strum with the fingers instead, and go to a smaller body guitar.

Good luck and enjoy it
Old 04-22-2021, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

This sounds cool. Where is it and when?
Old 04-22-2021, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
This sounds cool. Where is it and when?
Ames, Iowa on the 29th in the evening. It is real low key, almost like busking. You just get assigned a place to play and people come by and listen as they go from store to store. It is a wonderful opportunity to get out in front of some people and share your music. It is also a good place to shake out your equipment before the summer season starts up.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

Old 04-25-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
The spring downtown music walk is next week. A wonderful opportunity for us musicians that aren't quite prime time. The downtown businesses stay open late and many of them sponsor musicians inside their store or right outside on the sidewalk. I'm in a clothing store. Fourth time I've been invited to play there. They either like me or I'm easy to get. Either way, I cut my musical teeth performing there so it is always something I look forward to. Another good thing, several festivals and venues through the summer and fall require an audition tape and that is waived for music walk participants. So I'm set.

My challenge right now though is that I'm a ukulele player tried and true. I have never performed on guitar. I'm taking one with me and if I get the nerve up I have a half dozen of the songs that I could go with on the guitar instead, maybe more if I got caught up with it. The biggest problem I'm having right now is strumming soft enough that I'm not yelling to sing over the guitar. I have gotten the left hand working well, it is the right hand that isn't cooperating. It might be worse even in a small clothing store with my audience almost on top of me. I'm sure that I'll get it worked out eventually just not sure it will be next week. We will see what happens I guess.
You might try a felt pick. They are usually used by autoharp players although some bass players use them.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:15 PM

How did the music walk go? I love the idea, wish we had something similar around here.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Ames, Iowa on the 29th in the evening. It is real low key, almost like busking. You just get assigned a place to play and people come by and listen as they go from store to store. It is a wonderful opportunity to get out in front of some people and share your music. It is also a good place to shake out your equipment before the summer season starts up.
I take it there's no payment involved? Maybe tips? Even before 2020 I had mostly tapered off gigging. But I still am against the idea of performing for free/exposure bucks, particularly when a for-profit business is benefiting from my time and talent.

The general public expects music to be free, partly because so many performers are so hungry for the attention they'll play for free. Hell, they'll pay to play!
Old 05-05-2021, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I take it there's no payment involved? Maybe tips? Even before 2020 I had mostly tapered off gigging. But I still am against the idea of performing for free/exposure bucks, particularly when a for-profit business is benefiting from my time and talent.

The general public expects music to be free, partly because so many performers are so hungry for the attention they'll play for free. Hell, they'll pay to play!
It was for tips. Generally the store pads the take. Our store owner was generous but it isn't required. I come from busking and there are not a lot of busking opportunities here. I'm fine with playing for tips. I'm not in it for the money and I'm certainly not jeopardizing anyone's income by playing for tips. It is a great opportunity to share my music. I had a great time and the people walking around seemed to be too. Sorry you have such a sour taste for playing if you can't get paid for it but for me sharing music is what it is all about.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

Last edited by rllink; 05-05-2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
How did the music walk go? I love the idea, wish we had something similar around here.
It went very well. The weather was great, lots of people and everyone I talked to had a good time. The guy playing with me went to supper with friends afterwards and I went with some of the other musicians to one of the downtown bars. All in all it was fun.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write