The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-20-2011, 05:54 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashvin View Post
It just occurred to me that my above post may be "against forum rules" -- a manufacturer posting about their own product. If so, please delete the post or let me know and I will do so.
Ashvin, thank you for the good info! As a sponsor you're welcome to represent Rainsong here anytime.

JR
Old 11-20-2011, 07:00 PM

How durable is a Rainsong? I love mine. Today, our preacher used a football and a football analogy during his sermon and spiked the football on the stage with my guitar (Rainsong) about 10 feet away in our makeshift orchestra pit. no telling where that football was going to go and if my Taylor 810 was sitting there I would have been really worried, but that is why the Rainsong is there. I don't have to worry about every little ding and dent, much less a football knocking it off the stand. And I can leave it in the trunk after church when we go out to lunch in the south Florida heat.
I feel bad because I love the Taylor and want to play it and let it mature, but the Rainsong is getting all of the heavy playing. They are the perfect stage guitar.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 11-24-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimfram View Post
The Rainsong OM is the smallest of the Rainsong models..that being said, I have no idea if it will fit in your trunk or not, but it's the guitar I'm saving up for!
Isn't the Shorty now their smallest model?

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-25-2011, 07:56 PM

I bought a Cargo two years ago. It has been in my truck ever since then. I travel a lot and it does come inside with me when i get to the motel or hotel. Then it's back into the truck. I would treat my Rainsong the same except it's too big to haul around.
By the way, I live in Minnesota.
Gretch Resonator
Old 12-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Ashvin, thank you for the good info! As a sponsor you're welcome to represent Rainsong here anytime.

JR
Maybe it's time to start a carbon fiber subforum on AGF.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-03-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
Maybe it's time to start a carbon fiber subforum on AGF.....
+1 on that! A lot of changes in the carbon fiber guitar world and the improvements are truely worth noting. I think they have earned their own subforum now!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

Last edited by Kindness; 12-03-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:14 PM

I bought my RS from Ted last spring. It lives in my van that I have in Hawaii with my kiteboards and surfboards. I layover in HNL every week and I always look forward to playing my RS. So far, I have noticed NO problems with any aspect of the guitar. My biggest concern is salt as my van stays at the airport which is basically at the beach. I leave the windows in my van parted apx. one inch so it doesn't get too hot. My kiteboards and surfboards do not like to get too hot. I keep the guitar wrapped in clean, dry towels then in a gig bag. There are few things better than playing my RS on beach on the North Shore overlooking the ocean.
Aloha!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

I put on a miniflex mic model 2, the one you mount externally. I left it at home and went out to run a quick errand and when i got back i saw the mic on the floor. The elastic strap must have sprung out, the adhesive on the velcro not strong enough. Not a single mark on my rainsong. Extremely impressed.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 12-09-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Yes, I've seen that video before and that would likely be very similar to Rainsong, CA and Blackbird--but not Emerald.

As in that video, at about the 5 minute mark ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...3chGtww#t=249s ) you see them 'gluing' the top on as an entirely separate piece. The glue is a different material than the resins used to harden the fiber and introduces extra variables into the process.

Emerald's guitars have the entire sides, back, and body as "one" piece--and that includes the bridge itself as well as the neck. That's very, very different than Rainsong, CA, or Blackbird. Glue is never needed. Necks do not need bolting on, etc. They are one piece.

Exactly how he developed that process 12 years ago is only known to Alistair and he has stated that he intends to keep this a proprietary process. I would do the same as it does give his guitars advantages in strength and durability that is built into the very design itself. It's an invisible difference to the player, but it's real and it adds real value, IMO.

There are of course other ways to add strength, such as the bolts. Rainsong secures its bridges and neck with bolts, I believe. Of course, these are very strong and their bridges will not separate either because of them.

However, I personally like the idea of a guitar with no glue at all for purposes of durability and heat stability. I'm personally very big on real innovations in design that make tangible differences for the better. Emerald guitars are at this time, unique in this respect.
I prefer the personality in a guitar in how it sounds, then the construction method(s). After a few hundred years of guitar building, glue seems to work well, within its known limits. Epoxy, another world. With that said, I don't see much additional "value" in a one piece design, unless it can be proven to affect sound in particular attributable benefits. Although one piece could decrease assembly time.... which may be offset by the one piece process to begin with. I looked at the Emerald. If and when I want / create a need for a small body carbon, this will be my choice unless others join that party... then sound will again be the judge.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:40 AM

Talking

Revive-a-thread...

Your recent experiences with CF in hot vehicles?
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany

Last edited by casualmusic; 05-01-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2021, 02:11 PM

If the OP is concerned about size how about a Journey OF 660 carbon fiber?
Old 05-01-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Revive-a-thread...

Your recent experiences with CF in hot vehicles?
Nothing yet this year this far north, but I have never had an issue arise from leaving them in the car. I don’t do it daily but I don’t worry a bit about it either.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Each of the CR manufacturers has their own technique for construction. I think RainSong glues their top on (someone correct me if I am mistaken)... extreme heat would likely affect the glue before creating an issue with the carbon fiber.

I treat my carbon fiber guitars like my wood guitars, except I do nothing in regards to humidification/dehumidifying. Well, I have put an Emerald in the cargo trailer we haul behind our motorhome a time or twelve... I guess I wouldn't do that with a wood guitar. Carbon fiber is tough, but it isn't indestructible; more resistant to weather than wood.

I recall a thread here where a CF guitar was run over by a car... it wasn't pretty.
Old 05-01-2021, 06:00 PM

Agree with the post discussing that we pay big money for these guitars. Why would anyone want to abuse them? That is not what I buy them for, I mean....

If I leave it in the car someone could steal it. Geez!

Last edited by steelvibe; 05-01-2021 at 07:23 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber