The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-25-2021, 12:22 PM

Default Help Identifying a Vintage Archtop

Hi All,
Sorry for another one of these, but I'm looking for some help identifying an old arch top I picked up.

It's Melody King possibly from the 30's. Based on my research most of these were manufactured by either Harmony or Kay, but this one seems to be an odd duck. I've checked the serial numbers and they don't fit any pattern I could find any info on.

The only things stamped on the inside is Lot 9372 - doesn't fit either Kay or Harmony… I'm leaning toward a Regal made Guitar, but can't find any info.

This type of archtop with a round sound hole, stenciling and a split headstock doesn't seem to match anything I've seen, could be a Regal, but I can't find any good info on dating old Regal guitars.

This site has a ton of interesting info, but mine doesn't fit. https://www.snathanieladams.com/2019...ars-brand.html

It's a neat little guitar and I'd love to know more about it's history and origin.

Thanks for any ideas or resources that might help.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:48 PM

It's similar to

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=428755
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 03-26-2021, 11:22 AM

Default archtop

Almost certainly a Regal. Looks a bit like their Recording King, perhaps more like the early standard archtops, so 1932-38 or so would be likely. An inexpensive model.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Tags
archtop guitar, identification, vintage acoustic