The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-04-2023, 05:41 AM

Default Simon and Patrick

I have a friend selling a Simon and Patrick acoustic. I haven’t gotten to see it yet but from pictures I believe it to be a spruce-top dreadnought that is about 20 years old. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? I know they are part of the Godin family.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:31 AM

At least in that period, they are (were) identical to the comparable Seagull models but with a different, more traditional (i.e. Martinesque) headstock. They are very good guitars for the price.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:41 AM

I have had a Godin 5th Ave for about 15 years, I owned a Simon & Patrick Cedar top 12 string for about 12 years, and I owned a Seagull S6 for a year or two.
They're decent guitars, made in Canada which is cool, and if it was made before 2006 then it has a bolt on neck making a reset very cheap and quick, post 2006 have epoxied necks making neck resets impossible.

Besides that, they're not amazing guitars but they're good, I particularly like the cedar topped ones with the cherry b/s. I find the spruce top/cherry b/s a little too bright for my tastes.

Edit* I don't know how I forgot about my Simon & Patrick Woodland Pro Folk I still own and have owned for a few years now. It's all solid, actually great sound and playability but I keep it cased mostly now as I'm going to sell it online soon. The epoxy thing bothers me about it, otherwise I'd keep it forever no question. Kind of like an LG-2 size?

Last edited by Wellington; 06-04-2023 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:50 AM

Simon & Patrick is very common here in the West Coast of Canada. It's probably common in the East Coast too. Simon & Patrick generally offers affordable instruments aimed at someone who is just starting to play a guitar or someone looking for a beater just like Art & Lutherie, entry-level offerings from Seagull and Yamaha, etc. I have played quite a few of them because every single store carries their guitars. They're not bad, but nothing too impressive either.

Boucher SG-52 (Adirondack Spruce/East Indian Rosewood)
Bourgeois OM Custom (Italian Spruce/Cuban Mahogany)
Martin Custom Shop 000-18 (VTS Sitka Spruce/Sinker Mahogany)
Taylor GA3 (Sitka Spruce/Sapele)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion