The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-03-2023, 10:40 PM

Its been suggested that perhaps a Santa Cruz dread might also fit my wish list. Any advice in that regard? I prefer a dread that has a "bright" sound, while also delivering low-end as well.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:22 AM

Default pick one

I've had both. I prefer Collings myself. You hear every single note so clearly .
Martin OMJM
Martin Jeff Daniels custom OM #33
Martin Eric Clapton Custom Signature
Martin CEO-7
Martin 0-18
Guild F65ce
Waterloo WL12 MH
Fender Stratocaster 1980 (American

My biggest fear is when i die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost
Old 06-04-2023, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore Fan View Post
Its been suggested that perhaps a Santa Cruz dread might also fit my wish list. Any advice in that regard? I prefer a dread that has a "bright" sound, while also delivering low-end as well.
I am definitely a Collings lover and have owned several of their dreads. But, the top of my list dread is a Santa Cruz, which is actually for sale now in the classifieds.

I don't think there is right or wrong answer between Collings and Santa Cruz. Both builders make outstanding guitars. They each have their own voice, and it just comes down to what appeals to you.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I've actually been To Charley's Guitar shop a number of years ago--I'm a huge Stevie Ray Vaughan fan. I didn't play much acoustic the last time I was there and barely looked at that part of the shop.
I love Charley's and have been going in there for years. They always have some great high-end stuff in their acoustic room, and you never know what you're going to find. Great folks too. I've never bought a guitar there, but I usually buy some picks, strings, or a t-shirt just for them letting me hang out. It's in a pretty terrible part of town though. Make sure you don't need to stop for gas or anything while in the neighborhood.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:13 AM

Dave’s in La Crosse has 18 in stock…couple more in the Madison location…
Old 06-04-2023, 10:25 AM

How would I buy a Collings? I'd call Steve at Acoustic Music Works in Pittsburgh and ask him to match my needs with something in his Collings inventory (or on-order list). This method has worked out perfectly for me more than once (and not just for a Collings).

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 06-04-2023, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I went the Santa Cruz D PW route. Found one used with mahogany back and sides and herringbone trim. It is everything I want in a dread. Balanced and clear. Less brightness than a Collings, which mellow out a bit after 20 years.

I fell in love with the 1 11/16 soft v neck. Bearclaw sitka spruce.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-05-2023, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I went the Santa Cruz D PW route. Found one used with mahogany back and sides and herringbone trim. It is everything I want in a dread. Balanced and clear. Less brightness than a Collings, which mellow out a bit after 20 years.

I fell in love with the 1 11/16 soft v neck. Bearclaw sitka spruce.
Wait! Br1ck, you bought a SCGC D/PW?! When? I thought you were on the hunt for D18GE.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
As usual I agree with Glenn. Collings CS is second to none. Call them and tell them what you’re looking for. I’m sure they’ll be happy to point you to the nearest dealer that’s likely to meet your needs. Only OK Collings dealer I’m aware of is Edmond Music. But it seldom has more than one Collings acoustic. Here’s its current Collings inventory: https://edmondmusic.com/search.php?s...query=Collings
I agree with both gentlemen - ask for Matt.
Old 06-07-2023, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Maybe go to Nashville if you can. Carter's and Gruhn's always has them on hand and they are very good about letting you sit and play. I bought a Parlor 1T from Gruhn's and an i30 LC from Carter's - both were great experiences and having the guitar in my hands made all the difference in the world.
Emerald X10 Slim
Emerald X12
Northfield Big Mon
PRS S2 McCarty Slimline
PRS JA-15
Collings I30 LC
Old 06-07-2023, 08:35 AM

I did, an OM-2 .........went to Austin and took the Collings tour. Several of the employees referred me to a small shop, that (sorry) I believe has moved north, out of town. They had multiples of each model, and I spent about 2 hours comparing some. I had one shipped to California, and it was pretty painless. They make exquisite guitars if you like the sound. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2023, 01:10 PM

If I were in Oklahoma and looking for a dealer somewhat close to spend some time with, I would travel to Mass St Music in Lawrence KS. Jim Baggett there has actually had quite a bit of input in some of their models over the years and you would be hard pressed to find a more knowledgeable person outside of the factory. They usually have a good amount in stock as well.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:38 AM

For me the price was important. For a few months, I watched the used Collings that came into the stores nearest to me. At the end of last year when a mahogany/spruce CJ appeared on consignment at a price way less than brand-new, I drove to the store and decided to go for it.

In general I prefer to buy something used, ideally several years old and well-played in. The CJ I bought was a 2008, but it had not been played much by the previous owner(s), so the condition was basically like new.

Dave

Last edited by parulid; 06-09-2023 at 02:15 AM.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Christo View Post
Drive to Austin, take the Collings tour, and place your order there!
Yup. You can talk to someone there who will give you better answers to all your questions than most of us can — and ask you questions you never thought of, to help you zero in on the right axe.
Old 06-09-2023, 12:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Absolutely, although I prefer to save money by ALWAYS buying used. I've found if I'm patient (most of us aren't) l can get exactly what I'm looking for through CL or FB Marketplace. Getting a clean one private party also saves 10% state sales tax here in sunny (and greedy) CA.

sm

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 06-09-2023 at 01:43 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion