The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2023, 05:31 PM

Default CNN Article On Buying A Guitar

I thought it was interesting to see guitar recommendations on CNN…

https://www.cnn.com/cnn-underscored/...eginner-guitar
Old 06-02-2023, 06:32 PM

Interesting I haven't played the newest rendition of the cd-60, I'm surprised it wasn't a Yamaha FG800 as the top recommendation.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
Interesting I haven't played the newest rendition of the cd-60, I'm surprised it wasn't a Yamaha FG800 as the top recommendation.
The article was obviously "puff" from Fender, and used to fill up CNN's hectic 24/7's news cycle...

What's surprising, is the overall quality of beginner guitars these days! For a few hundred bucks, several offerings today could satisfy someone on their guitar journey for years, possibly decades - If they don't become infected by GAS!

Don
Old 06-02-2023, 11:42 PM

Well, you were lazin’ around at the guitar factory and then.....CNN ran this story!

You would probably expect to be working overtime and double shifts if you work on making the Fender CD-60S......

(I have never seen or heard one.)

BluesKing777.
Old 06-03-2023, 06:11 AM

We have a beginner guitar program the high school where I teach. We have 20 of the Fender CD60S and they hold up pretty well.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:01 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
The article was obviously "puff" from Fender, and used to fill up CNN's hectic 24/7's news cycle...
I think you might be on to something there. Firstly, the article uses only one industrial source and one "man on the street" source. A few years ago that wouldn't have been tolerated in the newsroom because it would have unmasked the scant nature of the article's actual sourcing. The editor would growl, "Get out there and get more sources!" at the cub reporter. Secondly, the article is, indeed, a regurgitation of information they've been fed with very little analysis, to the point where it is clear that no objectivity has been attempted.

And that was what multi-sourcing was all about - creating and maintaining objectivity and giving the appearance of objectivity. THAT is what CNN has abandoned. It started in their political sphere as a broadly-announced philosophical editorial change and now everything appears to be slapped together from readily available material. There's a term for that: "Repackaging." The biggest sources for repackaging stories are wire services such as AP and UPI. Companies subscribe to them and slightly rewrite the wire stories to fit their own character. Failing that, a lazy company will go to the PR department of a large corporation and ask for them to supply a brief that they can give a light touch and use to fill space.

Meanwhile, news has undergone a major transformation over the years. We've gone from organizations dominated by experienced writers and a few cubs to get the crappy assignments, to more lightly-funded organizations with only a handful of experienced writers and a whole lot of cubs covering much more substantial subjects. The reserve acquired by experience has been largely replaced by the zeal of youth. Philosophically, they've gone from reporting some generally-agreed-upon version of the truth to trying to change the world. Then there is the Woodward-Bernstein syndrome: trying to become the next celebrity journalist.

I fall back on Mark Twain for wisdom: "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed. If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-03-2023, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

What is a newspaper? [emoji6]
Old 06-03-2023, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

The CNN "Underscored" thing is paid promotion.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 06-03-2023, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

I saw that article when it came out on CNN.com and remember being surprised that it steered beginners to electric guitars because acoustic was too hard to play.

I wonder how many beginners go down that path and never get to flat picking and finger style. It seems better to get a foundation on acoustic and then see about electric. Clarence White and Billy String's first years were on acoustic, then they spent some years on electric, before returning to acoustic.
Old 06-03-2023, 11:52 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
The CNN "Underscored" thing is paid promotion.
Bingo. This isn’t journalism. It’s advertising/sales disguised as journalism.

From the small print heading: “Content is created by CNN Underscored’s team of editors who work independently from the CNN newsroom. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a commission.”

Old 06-03-2023, 12:40 PM

I don't go to CNN for my guitar purchasing advice and I don't come to Acoustic Guitar Forum to get the latest news cycle stories.
Old 06-03-2023, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Yep. CNN would definitely be my go-to reference when I'm thinking of buying a guitar.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 06-03-2023, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I think you might be on to something there. Firstly, the article uses only one industrial source and one "man on the street" source. A few years ago that wouldn't have been tolerated in the newsroom because it would have unmasked the scant nature of the article's actual sourcing. The editor would growl, "Get out there and get more sources!" at the cub reporter. Secondly, the article is, indeed, a regurgitation of information they've been fed with very little analysis, to the point where it is clear that no objectivity has been attempted.

And that was what multi-sourcing was all about - creating and maintaining objectivity and giving the appearance of objectivity. THAT is what CNN has abandoned. It started in their political sphere as a broadly-announced philosophical editorial change and now everything appears to be slapped together from readily available material. There's a term for that: "Repackaging." The biggest sources for repackaging stories are wire services such as AP and UPI. Companies subscribe to them and slightly rewrite the wire stories to fit their own character. Failing that, a lazy company will go to the PR department of a large corporation and ask for them to supply a brief that they can give a light touch and use to fill space.

Meanwhile, news has undergone a major transformation over the years. We've gone from organizations dominated by experienced writers and a few cubs to get the crappy assignments, to more lightly-funded organizations with only a handful of experienced writers and a whole lot of cubs covering much more substantial subjects. The reserve acquired by experience has been largely replaced by the zeal of youth. Philosophically, they've gone from reporting some generally-agreed-upon version of the truth to trying to change the world. Then there is the Woodward-Bernstein syndrome: trying to become the next celebrity journalist.

I fall back on Mark Twain for wisdom: "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed. If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

Bob
Agreed. And you don't see any news stories on how bad the news really is. They don't cover that .
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 06-03-2023, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I don't go to CNN for my guitar purchasing advice and I don't come to Acoustic Guitar Forum to get the latest news cycle stories.
Bingo. No single site has the whole truth—news or guitars. AGF is worth reading. CNN is worth reading. But neither are gospel. Read widely, especially from sources that challenge your worldview. Take them as some of many pieces to the puzzle. And realize which forum you’re on before you post.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

I don’t listen to anything else CNN says. I’m not likely to take guitar advice from them - especially from a paid for promotional piece.

+

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion