The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-30-2023, 07:24 AM

Furthermore...

Pablo Casals, the famous Spanish cellist who lived to be 97 years of age, when he reached 95, a young reporter threw him a question: “Mr. Casals, you are 95 and the greatest cellist that ever lived. Why do you still practice six hours a day?” And Mr. Casals answered, “Because I think I’m making progress.”

“If I don't practice one day, I know it; two days, the critics know it; three days, the public knows it.”
― Jascha Heifetz

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-30-2023, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

My education was completed when I graduated from college.

Just kidding!

The real truth is that is when my education really started because I was then able to recognize how little I really knew.

The coolest thing about the guitar for me is that there is always something new to learn and that is why it never gets boring. Think of the apparent simplicity of 6 strings and 12 frets and then about the lifetimes spent learning what to do with that.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-30-2023, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have always been about playing songs or pieces. Learning to play these were my practice.

- Glenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
I don't practice techniques on the guitar, but I do often learn and practice new songs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Generally my practice comes from learning tunes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7 View Post
To answer the question, yes. Obsessively. Playing is practice. Practice is playing.
This comes up often, usually with heated debate.
I seldom ever practice anything except new and old songs.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:45 PM

I practice to warm up.
Then I play pieces I know. Then I tackle new ones.
I never counted, but I do play hundreds of pieces:
Have to refresh every now and then.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:14 PM

It depends on what your goals are and what makes you happy. There is nothing wrong with being satisfied with where you are and enjoying it.

For me, I think I will always find joy in improving my skills and furthering my knowledge of music in general and guitar in particular. There is a fine line between playing and practicing for me. If I’m working on a new piece or technique, I can work on it over and over without feeling like I’m bored or doing something I don’t enjoy. Right now I’m learning jazz cords and progressions and having great fun with it. The big payoff will be being able to keep up in swing jams this summer.

But of course, sometimes I just have fun playing and singing songs I know well. But even with these, I am always trying to improve both vocals and guitar.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 05-31-2023, 01:08 AM

There’s a great quote, and I can’t find the source. Though “right” and “wrong” wouldn’t really apply to music, it’s a valuable philosophy in any pursuit:

“Amateurs practice until they can get it right. Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.”

You can stop wherever you like, but there are deeper rewards in any pursuit.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:54 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
“If I don't practice one day, I know it; two days, the critics know it; three days, the public knows it.”
― Jascha Heifetz
I love Segovia's version: "If I don't practice one day, I can feel a difference. If I don't practice two days, my audience can tell. If I don't practice three days, the critics can tell." A little wry, humorous barb thrown in.

Every time I sit down with the guitar I end up practicing and honing something. It isn't enough to hit the notes, you want to imbue them with the right feeling.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-31-2023, 07:05 AM

Default Every day

I play every day.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

I haven't practiced in two days.

We had vinyl flooring installed in our living, dining room and hallway. In preparation the other day I removed all the quarter round. The guy finished up over the weekend and I had to prepaint and then install the new quarter round, then tape off and put down protective paper on the floor, then paint the old existing moulding to match the quarter round. I have to finish installing in the hallway (lots of cuts) and then tape off/protect and paint. Easy when you're 30-40, not so much fun at 68.

Fortunately I bought kneepads to use. My legs are very tired from all the getting up and down over the last couple of days. As a result the last two nights I have been barely able to keep my eyes open long enough to watch a rerun episode of Family Fued

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I love Segovia's version: "If I don't practice one day, I can feel a difference. If I don't practice two days, my audience can tell. If I don't practice three days, the critics can tell." A little wry, humorous barb thrown in.

Bob
Segovia sure had a way with words

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-31-2023, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Segovia sure had a way with words
Kids have a way of just cutting to the point: "If I don't practice, I suck". That was words of wisdom from a kid I used to teach guitar to years ago.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-31-2023, 09:44 AM

A famous concert pianist was asked if he ever took days off from practicing. He's said no, because while the audience might not notice a difference, I definitely would.

I tend to play almost every day. I enjoy exploring alternatives to song structure.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 05-31-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have always been about playing songs or pieces. Learning to play these were my practice.

- Glenn

I agree with Glenn, I believe I would be a better player today if I had started playing songs sooner.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

I'm a little surprised by the responses that pretty much everybody (ok, maybe not "pretty much", but just simply "everybody who responded") continues to practice guitar. (I'm sorry if I missed anyone; I read this thread's responses over the course of a few days; and, according to my wife, my memory sucks.)

For the professionals, I can understand that it's going to be a lifetime of practice (well, until maybe retirement). I've worked for a number of years, so I know the importance of staying on top of your game. I should have mentioned in the OP that I'm an amateur hobbyist and was asking in this context.

I find "practicing" different than "playing". When I practice, I'm driven by the need to improve, so I'm always looking for new challenges. This means I'll be working on new, harder etudes/songs (e.g. following a methods) or new techniques required for the songs, even if they don't immediately fit my musical taste (they are merely intermediary stepping stones in the journey of learning). Then there's always the analysis phase; which may take even longer than practice.

Otherwise, I'm just playing. I like to play (and who doesn't?). I think it's safe to say that we all like to play by definition!

I can play new songs everyday and not really "practice" when those songs are within my comfort-zone of guitar playing. If there's no need to play more advanced pieces (e.g. your audience doesn't want them and no need to play for other types audiences), is there still a need to learn more advanced songs?

Practicing is work; while playing is, well, playing. So, I'm surprised with the responses I got here.

Here's a story:

A fellow club member I met at a gun club dinner asked if I'd join him for "practice". I asked him what he's practicing for and he mentioned "accurate pistol shooting". Cool; I shoot NRA bullseye and wouldn't mind recruiting in a new shooter. Turns out, although he's been "practicing" for over 50 years, his skill level was still very low (I'd say advanced-beginner stage). So I set him up with some practice techniques and showed him my shooting notebook (it's like a music practice journal). After he joined our little NRA bullseye group, he's improved within 1 year more than all his 50 years combined!!! (NRA bullseye is purely accuracy based so you get an exact score and can tack improvement easily). Now, bullseye is just a game, but in shooting, the fundamental accuracy is like rhythm in music, so bullseye is a good measurement.

I don't qualify his "50 years of practice" as practice; although he called it "practice". It's just 50 years of plinking fun. Sure, I'm think he's probably improved during those 50 years; but at a snail's pace, beaten by merely 1 year of real "practice".

Anyway, I'm not saying that this shooter never had fun in the prior 50 years. In fact, I'd bet he had lots of fun! The key is he wasn't "practicing" and didn't improve; and, importantly, he didn't know it. He's never been in a competition where there are really good shooters so his pond was small (he can out shoot many plinkers that use the range, I'm sure). There was no need (or maybe "purpose" might be a better word) for him to really improve; he's happy for 50 years. Well, now he happily practicing for NRA bullseye (and really practicing). In both cases, he's happy.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

I no longer practice. I'm 75, I just play to try to remember!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write