The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-27-2023, 05:42 AM

Default Tailpiece material and sound

Why do branded archtop guitars, for example Gibson, have a metal tailpiece and modern guitars such as Benedetto and later have it in ebony? Is it just an aesthetic issue or does the material affect the sound?
Old 06-04-2023, 03:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Theoretically the wood might absorb some overtones and sound softer, but I doubt the difference could be reliably detected in a blind listening test.
Softride Rocket
Trek Y-Foil
Old 06-05-2023, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFL Steve View Post
Theoretically the wood might absorb some overtones and sound softer, but I doubt the difference could be reliably detected in a blind listening test.
Agreed.

There are also a bunch of "wood-look" and "some of each" tailpieces.

For example, Eastman archtops have a metal structure with a simply lovely piece of wood screwed to the top. This has a profound sonic effect, causing the operator to sound exactly like {insert name here} except when they don't.

James D'Aquisto started out with D'Angelico-like metal tailpieces. By the 1980s he used a metal hinge attached to a wooden top.

That's more-or-less what wound up on the Fender D'Aquisto guitars too.

Hope this is more than no help.

Last edited by Sam Sherry; 06-05-2023 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-06-2023, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

I presume this is similar in archtop guitars, but the consensus among double bass luthiers seems to be that the most important factors in how a tailpiece affects the tone are the overall mass, the length and the ability to flex at the hinge point, more so than any other properties of the material. And comparing a metal Gibson style tailpiece to something like a Benedetto with the violin style tailgut, each of those factors is different so it might be hard to say wood absolutely has one sound and metal another.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 06-08-2023, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Since I can't delete this I'll just walk it back.
No point in being contentious.

Last edited by Sam Sherry; 06-08-2023 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-09-2023, 03:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurdillo View Post
Why do branded archtop guitars, for example Gibson, have a metal tailpiece and modern guitars such as Benedetto and later have it in ebony? Is it just an aesthetic issue or does the material affect the sound?
Tradition.

People who want a Gibson or a Guild, etc want what they're used to seeing.

The big difference would be weight, but other than that it's a crap shoot.

Perhaps you should go to Rudy's shop in New York. He'll most likely have some early D'Aquisto guitars that are basically D'Angelico clones, and some later ones where he started using the ebony tailpiece with violin style 'tailgut' mounting system.

I'll bet that, aurally, it's a meaningless difference in the scheme of things.

HE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops