The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-18-2023, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I like both the Elixir and D'Addario's XS. I'm wondering, are they the same string, just put in different packaging?

They most definitely feel different to me. If my hands tell me correctly (and they lie to me quite frequently) the XS plain strings may be coated also. There is a little less tension with the XS set evidently.
Old 05-18-2023, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Smile Interesting video

These folks are responsible industrialists. Gasp!

The idea that you won’t harm your business by being more responsible and using less material and wasting less and making things that last LONGER is not the norm.

I am a big Elixir fan, but I am interested in these XS strings

I may live long enough to use up my Elixirs I have hoarded over the years. Haha

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-19-2023, 05:50 AM

A set of Elixir Nanoweb 0.12 costs €19,90 vs €8,95 for a set of Martin MA540. The Martin strings for me also make a big difference in the playability and sound on my Taylor 214CE. I've used D'Addario strings for years on my other acoustic and liked them.

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 05-19-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I like both the Elixir and D'Addario's XS. I'm wondering, are they the same string, just put in different packaging?
They better well not be since D'Addario's XS are more expensive (to the consumer) than the Elixirs. I'm willing to TRY them but I've found a few other coated sets that work (although not quite as nicely) on my guitars and cost less. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do (with what you've got).
Old 05-19-2023, 07:56 AM

Typically these OEM relationships are based primarily on cost, and then the Marketing department is responsible for telling their customers why it's not about cost. As a manufacturer, I'm sure this is mostly cost-driven.

I've never tried the XS. If they are that much better than the Elixir PB's I might use them. I haven't looked yet but I'm hoping they offer a set similar to the HD's, my J45 needs that extra bit of punch on 1 & 2.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 05-19-2023, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Taylor and D'Addario have had a "relationship" long before now. When they launched the GS-mini Bass (2017) they touted the special/custom strings developed with (and sold by) D'Addario specifically for that instrument. Also, the T5 line has come with D'Addario strings for years I believe. My T5z came with D's 2+ years ago.

Last edited by gmel555; 05-19-2023 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:42 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Well, I can tell you that Elixers just went from $14 to $18 at the local GC.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-19-2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Well, I can tell you that Elixers just went from $14 to $18 at the local GC.

Bob
Gore needs to make up that lost revenue somehow but that's quite a single increase.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 05-19-2023, 10:25 AM

Quote:
They're definitely different, it is not hard to feel the difference.

If anything the XS feels more like the Elixir optiweb electric strings than they do like the Nanoweb PB strings.

A lot more natural feel than nanoweb, coating is thinner and it doesn't fray.

They still feel easier for sliding than uncoated strings, but far less need to be careful about your fingers sliding inadvertently. Nanoweb is definitely more slippery.

And a lower tension feel in the same gauges.
Old 05-19-2023, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
They're definitely different, it is not hard to feel the difference.

If anything the XS feels more like the Elixir optiweb electric strings than they do like the Nanoweb PB strings.

A lot more natural feel than nanoweb, coating is thinner and it doesn't fray.

They still feel easier for sliding than uncoated strings, but far less need to be careful about your fingers sliding inadvertently. Nanoweb is definitely more slippery.

And a lower tension feel in the same gauges.
I have the Elixir nanos on my Furch and I was planning on putting a set of XS on my McIlroy this weekend. I'll compare them, thanks for the info.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-19-2023, 11:31 AM

It has been a long time since I played Elixir but have a set of HD Lights in PB to install this weekend. These are going on a guitar that has been wearing a set of PB XS Lights for the last 10 months with a beefed up e and B strings. I’ll post my thoughts at least on feel, but I’ve never been a huge Elixir fan.
Old 05-20-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
Typically these OEM relationships are based primarily on cost, and then the Marketing department is responsible for telling their customers why it's not about cost. As a manufacturer, I'm sure this is mostly cost-driven.
Took the words right out of my mouth, lol!

Quote:
I've never tried the XS. If they are that much better than the Elixir PB's I might use them....
For me the Elixir nanos simply work well, last long, and are so tonally consistent over their lifespan that I have no impetus to change. It's a winning horse for me, so ain't even gonna bother. So like manufacturers, if my cost is less, then that is a considerable part of the equation, so long as the product delivers well, which Elixir continually does.

Curious about the string tension though: if anyone can confirm (beyond anecdotal feel) a significant reduction in tension with the D'Addies, that may be a game changer, so long as the tone and longevity is good, of course.

Edward
Old 05-20-2023, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Last night I played my McIlroy with a new set of XS and then I played my Furch, forgetting to compare how the strings felt. (I play only fingerstyle btw)

Which by itself is saying something.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-20-2023, 12:22 PM

Default D'addario and Taylor Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post

For me the Elixir nanos simply work well, last long, and are so tonally consistent over their lifespan that I have no impetus to change. It's a winning horse for me, so ain't even gonna bother. So like manufacturers, if my cost is less, then that is a considerable part of the equation, so long as the product delivers well, which Elixir continually does.

Curious about the string tension though: if anyone can confirm (beyond anecdotal feel) a significant reduction in tension with the D'Addies, that may be a game changer, so long as the tone and longevity is good, of course.

Edward

Last I looked at the charts it was about 2-3 lbs less for XS versus Elixir mediums. Looks like 185 versus 188 on my phone. ~191 for Martin Lifespan 2.0. Don’t know who makes the underlying string for Gore/Elixir.

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-20-2023 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post

Edward
The Daddario XS and XT tension is relatively light... for regular light PBs they run about 156 lbs total tension. The Elixir Nanoweb PB have about 162 lbs, and Martin Lifespan 2.0 PB Lights have around 168 lbs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion