The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 07:11 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Cancelled my order after my non-refundable $1K deposit was returned to my bank account after floating in no-mans land for a month unable to locate their account.

Said they'd look into it immediately ... but heard nothing back.

Red flag.
Over the years various guitars have been "pumped" on the forum. I.E. Pono, that "orange" guitar and now Iris.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with these guitars, but you have to be careful of the lesser known brands that are spoken of here.

The internet is a funny place. You could have 4 or 5 laptop/desktops in one small shop and have a few people create multiple email addresses (one on each computer a piece) and multiple user names here. Discussions of a certain guitar by what appeared to be 20-30 random people would actually just be 4 or 5 - all who work for the guitar builder. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but I'm always wary of a suddenly "new" guitar builder with people promoting it left and right.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-23-2022, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Over the years various guitars have been "pumped" on the forum. I.E. Pono, that "orange" guitar and now Iris.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with these guitars, but you have to be careful of the lesser known brands that are spoken of here.

The internet is a funny place. You could have 4 or 5 laptop/desktops in one small shop and have a few people create multiple email addresses (one on each computer a piece) and multiple user names here. Discussions of a certain guitar by what appeared to be 20-30 random people would actually just be 4 or 5 - all who work for the guitar builder. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but I'm always wary of a suddenly "new" guitar builder with people promoting it left and right.

In Iris’s defense, Dale Fairbanks and Adam Buchwald are both well established builders with good reputations. It’s a new brand, yes, but there is experience and a record of quality behind it. I think that’s worth something.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:19 AM

Default Iris Guitars

Quote:

- Moderator hat is ON -

Tbman - this is true in part, but as far as the AGF is concerned, the moderating team keeps pretty close track of these things. We are very thorough in our vetting of new users. And you can be assured that our team knows the AGF users very well. When issues do occur, such as 'pumping', it is taken care of quietly and you are likely not have even noticed the ripple. We do a lot of editing and deleting 'behind the scenes'.

I know Dale Fairbanks personally and can assure you that there is no subterfuge here. The Iris line is a collection of nicely built, great sounding guitars that deserve all of the recognition they are getting.

Rick - AGF Moderator

Last edited by srick; 11-23-2022 at 08:37 AM. Reason: My typing errors and my fingerstyle abilities have a lot in common.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
In Iris’s defense, Dale Fairbanks and Adam Buchwald are both well established builders with good reputations. It’s a new brand, yes, but there is experience and a record of quality behind it. I think that’s worth something.
Exactly. Adam Buchwald has been successfully building Circle Strings custom guitars for years. He started his career doing repair work at Retrofret in New York City, and before striking on his own, he worked at Froggy Bottom. Dale Fairbanks also has a long, successful career building Fairbanks custom guitars. His Gibson homages/repros (whatever you want to call them) and finish work are legendary. Both of these guys have long histories of building superlative—and very expensive—guitars. Iris isn’t some social-media created flash-in-the-pan, it’s a real company staffed by skilled people (one of the recent hires used to work for Collings, building Waterloo guitars).

In creating Iris, Adam was addressing the fact that Circle Strings (and other similar-quality custom guitars) start at $8k+, and are out of reach of many working musicians and guitar enthusiasts. As srick noted above they streamlined processes, simplified designs and used more economical appointments (such as Golden Age tuners) to bring the base price for a customizable guitar under $3k. When you look at the quality of the construction of their guitars, you can see that the guitars share a lineage with guitars costing 3x as much.

Last edited by sinistral; 11-24-2022 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

I expect I'll be keeping this for the long run. I'd guess all its
collectability has been drained away by all the patch-ups
it has had. It is a terrific guitar though.

I've traded away a couple of D-28s. I traded my Iris for a D-18.
I'd trade the D-18 for some other tasty guitar on a whim. I don't
have the money or the space to have a houseful of guitars like
some of y'all, but I like changing them around. I think my Iris was
a fine guitar. I bet the other three people on this board who have
owned it think so too ...

-Mike
Old 11-23-2022, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have no experience with Iris Guitars but it sure seems like part of their plan was not only to fill a niche but seriously vie for the ugliest headstock award. If the guitar tone is sublime then it can be forgiven but for my sense of aesthetics, it is truly cringe worthy. :-)
Best,
Jayne
Old 11-23-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:

First, what I am about to say is not a reflection upon Iris, or any of the established makers who offer a no frills, more economical model. There is a demand for such things. But you find what you look for. Years ago, I decided to dip my foot into resonator territory and kept running into positive mentions of "Liberty" guitars, made elsewhere but assembled in Florida by a fellow whose last name was Blue (I forget his first), a man who supposedly had a strong foundation in the blues before he started his own guitar brand. (Blue - blues, hmmmm.) He was real; I spoke to him on the phone, but of course cannot speak to his credentials. But in the years since, I have not heard a word about Liberty guitars. They just disappeared from my sight.

I think many of us can speak of similar events, with a variety if goods, not just guitars. Did the makers run out of steam or money? Were they shysters? Did they just decide they could not compete? Maybe they retired? But all this buzz.... then silence. How much of our lives are run by algorithms in ways we do not know or understand?

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:41 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post

- Moderator hat is ON -

Tbman - this is true in part, but as far as the AGF is concerned, the moderating team keeps pretty close track of these things. We are very thorough in our vetting of new users. And you can be assured that our team knows the AGF users very well. When issues do occur, such as 'pumping', it is taken care of quietly and you are likely not have even noticed the ripple. We do a lot of editing and deleting 'behind the scenes'.

I know Dale Fairbanks personally and can assure you that there is no subterfuge here. The Iris line is a collection of nicely built, great sounding guitars that deserve all of the recognition they are getting.

Rick - AGF Moderator
Thanks, that's good to hear.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-23-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I think many of us can speak of similar events, with a variety if goods, not just guitars. Did the makers run out of steam or money? Were they shysters? Did they just decide they could not compete? Maybe they retired? But all this buzz.... then silence. How much of our lives are run by algorithms in ways we do not know or understand?
Bard - Very simply, small business is tough. Plus, there are a ton of costs to doing business (and being self-employed) that aren't even on the radar of the average person when they embark on a new venture.

I'm sure all of the possibilities you mention are the answer to the question. To make it, you need to constantly push and you can't treat your business as a hobby.

But I know you know this, because you run a small business too.

Rick

Last edited by srick; 11-23-2022 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I have no experience with Iris Guitars but it sure seems like part of their plan was not only to fill a niche but seriously vie for the ugliest headstock award. If the guitar tone is sublime then it can be forgiven but for my sense of aesthetics, it is truly cringe worthy. :-)
Best,
Jayne
Lol - yes, I have felt the same way about that headstock and have made the same comments in other posts since seeing them. While I still feel the same way for the most part, it has grown on me just barely enough that I'd now consider owning one since playing one recently that blew me away from a tonal perspective, at least. It was a custom DF model with a few additions the most obvious two being Adi top/rosewood back and sides (vs. the usual sitka/mahogany on most others I've played) and a longer, 25.5" scale (normal is 25"). These two things seemed to combine for an even bigger and more intense tone than I've encountered in the past in almost any guitar I've played. It was really quite something. But with those upgrades plus a few more cosmetic things the price was up just over $3k. That plus longer scale and those awful tuners led me to pass. But that tone...

Fast forward to recently and I've been doing a deep dive on all things IRIS and the possibility of doing a full custom order to get ALL things I think I would want. I can't get that huge tone out of my head. Some other things I like about the IRIS guitars offerings is the banjo tuners and their relic finishes. They offer the banjo tuners stock on the DE model. At first I thought they looked stupid but then I tried them and they are SO smooth. Plus, I like the fact that they point back like slotted headstock tuners (easier to operate when wearing/playing the guitar) while having the benefit of being on a paddle headstock for slightly easier and faster string changes. Win-win. Downside, they are a pricey upcharge ($360) if one was to have them added to a non-DE model. More on this in a minute.

As for the relic finish options, like many companies that offer this they do different levels. One level is just an aged binding and checked finish. On the burst models these two features make for a really good looking guitar if you're into that sort of thing. I like the look. I do wonder if that checked finish (which can only be achieved on a thicker finish, I assume) would come at the cost of some of that great tone on the (again assumed) thinner and satin/matte finish stock models. The cost of this upgrade would be $500. EIR back and sides adds another $250 and an Adi top another $150. Add the $360 for the banjo tuners and you're now up to nearly $4k which puts a lot of other guitar brands on the table. And this might not be the cannon-like, tone love affair of that one I played down around $3k. The final piece of the puzzle for me is that current build time wait is 11-12 months.

So that pretty much kills off any interest I would have in a full custom build. I feel I'd be better off finding a new or used DF (my preferred model) and then just add the admittedly expensive banjo tuners (or some other tuner) to replace the generally panned three on a plate vintage stock ones.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

The headstock logo has grown on me and don't bother me now, besides, you can't see it when playing it.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Iris has a lot of dealers including the store that Adam Buchwald has opened in Burlington, VT. So, yes, they are about a year behind on orders. I don’t think they have a ton of employees and they do make other guitars there, including Fairbanks.

These were supposed to be off the rack guitars with few options. I think he should stick to that model and leave the customizations for the higher level brands.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
But that tone...
Scott - as the owner of Fairbanks 35, I can second that. Dale really knows how to make his guitars bark and growl! Plus, Adam doesn't talk about it much, but some years ago, his Allied Luthiery business purchased a large stock of impressive tone woods - most of it 40 years older or more. A lot of this is being used in the Iris Guitars (I'm pretty sure)
Quote:
They offer the banjo tuners stock on the DE model. At first I thought they looked stupid but then I tried them and they are SO smooth. Plus, I like the fact that they point back like slotted headstock tuners (easier to operate when wearing/playing the guitar) while having the benefit of being on a paddle headstock for slightly easier and faster string changes. Win-win. Downside, they are a pricey upcharge ($360) if one was to have them added to a non-DE model. More on this in a minute.
Dale put the Rickard banjo tuners on my guitar and I love them. They are easy to use and they look great. It's not an essential by a long shot, but they do create a unique guitar. And they are not cheap.
Quote:
As for the relic finish options, like many companies that offer this they do different levels. One level is just an aged binding and checked finish. On the burst models these two features make for a really good looking guitar if you're into that sort of thing. I like the look.
I have seen Dale relic guitars - he pays incredible attention to detail.
Quote:
I feel I'd be better off finding a new or used DF (my preferred model) and then just add the admittedly expensive banjo tuners (or some other tuner) to replace the generally panned three on a plate vintage stock ones.
I don't think you'll go wrong taking that route. Plus, you'll have the instrument in your hands right away. Unfortunately, they're still pricey on the used market so you won't get much of a discount.

And wait a second - I thought you had sworn off expensive custom guitars!

BTW - these two guys (Leo Kottke and Mike Gordon) really like Fairbanks\Circle\Iris guitars
kottke and gordon.jpg
That's mine on the right (you can see the Rickard tuners), and FredSJ200's on the left.

Last edited by srick; 11-23-2022 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
And wait a second - I thought you had sworn off expensive custom guitars!
You're not wrong! Hence my trepidation at going the full custom route. Sure, way cheaper than even a used Froggy Bottom but more than I really should spend. What was nice about the IRIS guitars initially was the decent prices. After selling the Froggy Bottom the plan was to eventually grab something all-wood down around the $2k range, maybe something road-worn with mojo and great tone. Think used D-18 or something along those lines. Before inflation and backlog a new IRIS would have been in that ballpark. But now they are creeping up, or so it seems. I'm going to keep my eye out and play some more as I run into them in the wild. Won't be buying anything until 2023 anyway for the write-off for the duo!!
Old 11-23-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Best,
Jayne
What she said.

But I'd still like to get my hands on one of those MS models.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion