The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2023, 09:39 AM

Default Taylor 214ce vs 224ce Koa DLX

Greetings from Croatia,
I’m traying to find a guitar as a gift for my son and after all it came to those two.
He is beginer but he deserve that kind of gift, maybe for now it’s above his temperarly skills but I think his persistence deserves that. My question, is 224 worth extra 500 €. Let's face it, he would be very grateful with 214ce but I want to se what experts would say. But after all, there’s no limit, next is 322, then 324 Builders’s edition and so on…
Sorry for my english but I asume that you realize what is my question😊👍
Old 06-02-2023, 09:48 AM

I've only played one 224, but it was a really great guitar. Sounded better than some of the Taylors in the room that were much more expensive, and it was absolutely beautiful as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 06-03-2023, 07:51 AM

Taylor 224ce is a great guitar. I have a few and love them.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:43 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Hi Otto, welcome to the AGF. Your English is very good.

I own a 2018 214ce-DLX and a 2002 814c, both since new. Certainly, the 814 is a better guitar, but I must say that the 214 is also very fine. The neck on it is slightly narrower at 1-11/16”l which I also like and have no problem adapting to. Tone and playability are really good.

I can’t say if the extra cost of a 224DLX is worth it over a 214, but to me it is. I like the gloss look and likely the 224DLX comes in a hard shell case. Not quite sure, but it may also have better electronics.

I realize you’re in Croatia, so I don’t know if a used 224ce-K DLX in Koa and in the USA might interest you, or if the seller would ship to Europe, but here’s a link to a 224ce-K DLX currently for sale in our AGF classifieds.

It’s really nice that you want to buy a guitar for your son. I hope you find one you like.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoP View Post
My question, is 224 worth extra 500 €.
Not at all. The 200 series uses plywood back and sides (laminate) and the 224 DLX is, in my opinion, one of the most overpriced guitars on the planet.

Since you're in Europe, I'd look at Furch or Faith guitars if you want a high quality instrument. You'll get a lot more for your money than from Taylor. Faith Neptune or Furch Grand Auditorium are the same size as a Taylor xx4 Grand Auditorium.

If you've got your heart set on a Taylor, I'd order a used 314ce so at least you get solid wood back and sides and not plywood.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:16 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL View Post
Not at all. The 200 series uses plywood back and sides (laminate) and the 224 DLX is, in my opinion, one of the most overpriced guitars on the planet.

Since you're in Europe, I'd look at Furch or Faith guitars if you want a high quality instrument. You'll get a lot more for your money than from Taylor. Faith Neptune or Furch Grand Auditorium are the same size as a Taylor xx4 Grand Auditorium.

If you've got your heart set on a Taylor, I'd order a used 314ce so at least you get solid wood back and sides and not plywood.
In my opinion, referring to Taylor’s use of a “layered” approach (laminate, if you prefer, but where the outer and inner layers are actually rosewood) as “plywood” is akin to calling a carbon fiber guitar “plastic” (which couldn’t be further from the truth), which is an attempt to cheapen the fact of the matter. Some consider the Taylor 200 series to be overpriced, others like me, do not. This is not to say that Furch and Faith aren’t good guitars and shouldn’t be considered. I’ve not tried them...they just might be fine and good value, worthy of the OPs consideration.

Just because a guitar has solid back and sides doesn’t necessarily mean that layered/laminate is inferior. I’ve played 300 series and don’t consider them superior to any great extent.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:29 AM

I have a 214ce koa version. It plays absolutely great but the sound isn't there for me. I have since bought a full solid Sigma SOMR-45V Limited and that guitar has a sound that is incomparable with the Taylor. I'm thinking of selling it actually, which is hard because it was my first 'real' guitar and it plays so good. If you like the sound, go for it.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:24 PM

I think investment in lessons and tutoring would pay off more than an upmarket guitar if the would-be player is starting at the beginning. My opinion is to buy a playable entry-level guitar and focus on skill development. Students, children especially, often become disillusioned with the amount of effort and time needed to progress.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:17 AM

Thank you all for your answers, I got offer for 214ce K SB for 1150€ .I think that i’s a good price. Unfortunatly shipping from USA is not option, reasons are taxes and shipping price. I hope that this guitar will be his friend many years.
Thank you all once again!
Old 06-04-2023, 09:12 AM

If you like 1-11/16" nut width, the 200 series Taylors are good guitars. My favorite of their features is the X brace design, which I prefer. The layered rosewood design sounds good, but usually does not produce as many overtones as solid wood. If I played 1-11/16" nut, I would get a 210e DLX for gigs.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:31 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoP View Post
Thank you all for your answers, I got offer for 214ce K SB for 1150€ .I think that i’s a good price. Unfortunatly shipping from USA is not option, reasons are taxes and shipping price. I hope that this guitar will be his friend many years.
Thank you all once again!
Good job! The sunburst is a great look. Hopefully, the guitar will be your son’s passion. You are his Dad and his friend.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion