The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2015, 08:48 PM

Default What Taylor/Martin does breedlove oregon series compare to?

So, I went to GC the other day to decide between a Taylor 314ce or a Martin GCPCA4..... The martin was $1550 and the Taylor $1799 new. I've been looking at both of these used at about $1000 which was what I was shootin for. BUT i saw a Breedlove Oregon Concert Cutaway on the wall on clearance for $1359. I played it and was blown away! I emailed breedlove and they said only 56 were made. I talked GC down to $1300 out the door. Is this a good deal? How would it compare to the quality of the 314ce or the gcpca4?
Thanks!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:50 PM

Your experience differs from mine, but then again every guitar even within the same model sounds different - when I compared an Oregon Concert next to a 314ce, I found the 314ce far more open and shimmery sounding and the Oregon (Myrtlewood back and sides if I recall correctly) to be dull sounding in comparison. But if you prefer the Breedlove sound, good for you and glad you've found something you enjoy!
Old 01-27-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
So, I went to GC the other day to decide between a Taylor 314ce or a Martin GCPCA4..... The martin was $1550 and the Taylor $1799 new. I've been looking at both of these used at about $1000 which was what I was shootin for. BUT i saw a Breedlove Oregon Concert Cutaway on the wall on clearance for $1359. I played it and was blown away! I emailed breedlove and they said only 56 were made. I talked GC down to $1300 out the door. Is this a good deal? How would it compare to the quality of the 314ce or the gcpca4?
Thanks!
I think you got a good deal. The Oregons have gotten excellent reviews by many pros and amateurs. Hard to believe they only made 56. What year is the guitar and what are its tone woods.

I personally much prefer the sound of my BL American over the sound of the Martin D-28 I previously owned. I've played all nearly all the current Taylor models and none really do it for me It really comes down to which is most pleasing to you and obviously your ears are the only judge.

Have fun with your new friend.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 01-27-2015, 09:29 PM

Deleted.........

Old 01-27-2015, 09:35 PM

Very true, I've read that too...that even within the same model each guitar has it's own voice.
And it is a 2013, on the breedlove website it's listed under the limited edition oregon series. There have been MANY oregon concerts made but they only made 56 with the cutaway. It is a Sitka top with myrtlewood back and sides.
I plan to go pick it up tomorrow, it's my first American made guitar so I'm excited!
Old 01-27-2015, 10:20 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Very true, I've read that too...that even within the same model each guitar has it's own voice.
And it is a 2013, on the breedlove website it's listed under the limited edition oregon series. There have been MANY oregon concerts made but they only made 56 with the cutaway. It is a Sitka top with myrtlewood back and sides.
I plan to go pick it up tomorrow, it's my first American made guitar so I'm excited!
Even better. It looks and will probably sound a lot like the BL Voice concert from a couple of years ago that is also a fantastic guitar.

Congrats!

BTW, I have new BL on its way and should arrive tomorrow also. Can't wait to open the box.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _zedagive View Post
Even better. It looks and will probably sound a lot like the BL Voice concert from a couple of years ago that is also a fantastic guitar.

Congrats!

BTW, I have new BL on its way and should arrive tomorrow also. Can't wait to open the box.
Thanks!! It was funny cause breedlove wasn't really on my radar but this one stood out to me and after playing it there was no question.
Which one are you getting?
Old 01-27-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks!! It was funny cause breedlove wasn't really on my radar but this one stood out to me and after playing it there was no question.
Which one are you getting?
Didn't consider one either until I picked up my first one. Now I'm obviously under the Breedlove spell.

Found a "never played" 2009 Focus SE redwood over EIR. Probably not going to be a big upgrade from the America, but I had some PayPal money sitting there from the sale of a Les Paul and GAS took over. Now I need to find a buyer for my mint American concert. All it should take is for someone to play it..

Old 01-27-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
As you should be. I loved this guitar every time I picked it up but I already own an import Breedlove (an AC25/SR) and wanted a carbon fiber really bad. It was literally a toss up between the guitar you are getting tomorrow and a RainSong.

Having said that, I always wanted to play the Oregon OM/Smye but never spotted one except for online. Willcutt Guitars has one of the most beautiful back and sides OM that I could find (at least in pictures), but has since been sold. I love the satin back and sides and the gloss top- plenty of natural tone coming out of these and minimal appointments actually draw to the beauty of the instrument's simplicity. Of all things that grabbed my attention, it was the C20/Smye's midrange- like mahogany but not quite as fundamental. Myrtle is a really intriguing tonewood in a great way, I just don't think people are used to it. Have fun!
Old 01-28-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _zedagive View Post
Didn't consider one either until I picked up my first one. Now I'm obviously under the Breedlove spell.

Found a "never played" 2009 Focus SE redwood over EIR. Probably not going to be a big upgrade from the America, but I had some PayPal money sitting there from the sale of a Les Paul and GAS took over. Now I need to find a buyer for my mint American concert. All it should take is for someone to play it..

Nice! I've been reading a lot of good about the focus! I listened to one on YouTube and it sounded awesome!
Old 01-28-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
As you should be. I loved this guitar every time I picked it up but I already own an import Breedlove (an AC25/SR) and wanted a carbon fiber really bad. It was literally a toss up between the guitar you are getting tomorrow and a RainSong.

Having said that, I always wanted to play the Oregon OM/Smye but never spotted one except for online. Willcutt Guitars has one of the most beautiful back and sides OM that I could find (at least in pictures), but has since been sold. I love the satin back and sides and the gloss top- plenty of natural tone coming out of these and minimal appointments actually draw to the beauty of the instrument's simplicity. Of all things that grabbed my attention, it was the C20/Smye's midrange- like mahogany but not quite as fundamental. Myrtle is a really intriguing tonewood in a great way, I just don't think people are used to it. Have fun!
Yeah, this was the first myrtlewood I'd ever played and I found it to be really different...in a really good way (to me, anyway). I typically like the look of darker guitars, but the color range of the myrtlewood is stunning and like you, I Really like the satin look and simplicity of it.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Thanks!
Hi Anthony,

I think you got a very good deal. I paid a bit more than that for mine, which is not a cutaway. Like you, I was captivated by mine when I encountered it in the store. I wasn't even intending to buy a guitar, but couldn't resist, even after thinking it over for a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelvibe View Post
I always wanted to play the Oregon OM/Smye but never spotted one except for online. Willcutt Guitars has one of the most beautiful back and sides OM that I could find (at least in pictures), but has since been sold. I love the satin back and sides and the gloss top- plenty of natural tone coming out of these and minimal appointments actually draw to the beauty of the instrument's simplicity. Of all things that grabbed my attention, it was the C20/Smye's midrange- like mahogany but not quite as fundamental. Myrtle is a really intriguing tonewood in a great way, I just don't think people are used to it.
Steelvibe - if you're ever in the Boston area with some extra time, send me a PM. I'll be happy to let you try out mine. (She's a sweetie, but not for sale!)

I agree with you about Myrtle. With Taylor's recent emphasis on sustainable tonewoods, I look forward to more models from them using Myrtle. I didn't get to try the recent special, but I heard they were pretty nice also!

Dave
Old 01-28-2015, 07:18 AM

It did seem like a good deal to me. I mean not half off it anything, but the non cutaways at GC were $1499 and this one on breedloves website has a msrp of $200-$300 more. I think it'll be worth what I'm paying!
Old 01-28-2015, 10:25 AM

Post some pics when you get a chance. Looks like my Focus delivery is delayed. Been waiting for over a week from Dallas to San Diego. I hate USPS

Old 01-28-2015, 12:18 PM

I def will! And ahh man I hate postal service, especially when it's bringing something you REALLY are pumped for

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
breedlove, breedlove oregon series, martin, taylor