The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 12:58 PM

Je suis Denny
Old 02-07-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Ditto for me
Quite a ressurection.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
I am NOT Denny Zager.
Funny stuff
Old 02-07-2015, 02:43 PM

I was going to say hello to Mr. Zager (wetreverb), and welcome him to the forum, but somehow my mouse pointer drifted to the User CP panel, and I found myself blocking him. A slip of the thumb?

C'est la vie.

... JT
Old 02-07-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTFoote View Post
I was going to say hello to Mr. Zager (wetreverb), and welcome him to the forum, but somehow my mouse pointer drifted to the User CP panel, and I found myself blocking him. A slip of the thumb?

C'est la vie.

... JT
Are you sure you don't mean, "c'est le guerre"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I think that's entirely reasonable given the name recognition of Danny Zager based on his careers in both the music industry and guitar setups. How much would you pay to have Tom Brady help you with your passing, Tiger Woods help with your swing, or Marshawn Lynch help with your public speaking in a 1:1 situation? Come on, Danny Zager has to eat and put a roof over his head as well as pro athletes....
A valid point, but on the other hand, how much would you have to pay Tom Brady, if he'd only thrown one touchdown pass in his entire career? Although granted, a 2525 yard pass would be one for the record books.

Last edited by Captaincranky; 02-07-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:38 AM

Default E-Mail reply from Denny Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrafty1 View Post
I've owned a couple of Zagers in the past, they did play easy meaning I could play them for hours and not get sore fingers....That being said their marketing practices are deceptive to say the least. They do everything possible to mislead the buyer into believing they are buying an American made guitar even to the point of covering up the bottom of the sound hole sticker that says 'Made In Malaysia' (or Indonesia I now forget which) either way picture a bunch of kids over there gluing some wood together for .30cents an hour.... with the little gold signed dated sticker from Denny Zager himself. When I discovered this practice all respect for the people/company went down the road along with the guitars.....If I find out my Gibsons aren't made in America they're gone too. I know that Many good guitar manufactures are 'off shore' and if I buy from them I will know that up front.
I sent an e-mail to Zager asking who makes their guitars. This is the reply I got.
Very deceptive if you ask me ! One question I have, what does "with carbon" mean?

My father uses real solid wood with carbon. This limits the expansion and contraction of the woods which reduces buzzing when you're running lower strings heights. It also reduces risk of cracking long term, but as I'm sure you know unlike laminates and composites solid woods sound better as they age. Laminates you find on entry level guitars and although the composite guitars sound better they still don't have that real solid wood sound, You're also never going to out perform an old Martin D45 or Taylor 9 with a laminate or composite, but our guitars which use solid woods in conjunction with a small amount of carbon do.

Warmest regards, Dennis Zager Jr

Last edited by Krash58; 11-04-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash58 View Post
I sent an e-mail to Zager asking who makes their guitars. This is the reply I got.
Very deceptive if you ask me !

My father uses real solid wood with carbon. This limits the expansion and contraction of the woods which reduces buzzing when you're running lower strings heights. It also reduces risk of cracking long term, but as I'm sure you know unlike laminates and composites solid woods sound better as they age. Laminates you find on entry level guitars and although the composite guitars sound better they still don't have that real solid wood sound, You're also never going to out perform an old Martin D45 or Taylor 9 with a laminate or composite, but our guitars which use solid woods in conjunction with a small amount of carbon do.

Did you know that the last post in this thread befor yours was 3.5 years ago??
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 11-04-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash58 View Post
Very deceptive if you ask me ! One question I have, what does "with carbon" mean?

What is deceptive about it in your opinion? I assume “carbon” is used in the neck to add support but it’s not clear.
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 11-04-2018, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

It's alive! Zombie thread.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Quite a ressurection.
Indeed yes.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:26 PM

Probably my very first post on AGF.

I had no idea who or what Zager was about back then.

I do now.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-04-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetreverb View Post
1. I am NOT Denny Zager, or any member of his family or inner circle.
2. I have owned and played a Zager-modified Martin-Sigma guitar and liked it.
3. I am by necessity, frugal and careful of every dollar I spend

Okay, for starters, I consider that Zager made real improvements in the playability of the guitar mentioned above. I agree that 10 strings on an acoustic do tend to thin the sound, but having 11's on my 1972 Bruno Ventura with Rosewood back and sides, the sound was very Martin-like, and I feel it's unfair to judge Zager based on that affect on guitars with Mahogany back and sides, Hell, even with 12's I find such guitars uninspiringly thin in sound.

I agree that some of the Zager guitars seem to be priced overly aggressively - 10 years ago this wasn't the case. Also, bear in mind that pricing will be impacted by offering and honoring a 100% Satisfaction Money-Back guarantee, including Zager-paid return shipping! That is one of the strongest guarantees made in the guitar business today.

Most people would never consider going to a guitar tech to have an acoustic guitar set up. A company offering a turn-key guitar already optimally set up is going to enjoy something of an advantage in being able to price their items above the rest. That is just good old customer service and positive marketing.

Does anyone here have any idea as to what percentage of Zager guitars end up being returned under their Satisfaction Guarantee? I have a feeling NOT.
I have a feeling you DO know the percentage.
A few Telecasters
Old 11-04-2018, 11:05 PM

I think the AGF should delete posts that are five years old. Anybody agree?
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 12-16-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Did you know that the last post in this thread befor yours was 3.5 years ago??
I saw that! I was just trying to bump the thread to get more info! Whats your point, that I cant read?
Old 12-16-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
I think the AGF should delete posts that are five years old. Anybody agree?
Nahh. I get quite a kick from a good zombie-apocalypse thread.

It's aliiiive!
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion