The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-16-2018, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Collings D2HA Traditional vs D1A Traditional

Can anyone shed some light on differences between these two guitars? I'm also curious how they'd compare to their Martin Authentic counterparts, the D18 Authentic and the D28 1937 Authentic?
Old 12-16-2018, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

You should probably sort out whether you prefer the Martin sound or the Collings sound first.

Collings: Louder, way more articulation and cut, more piano like, more modern sound, tight balanced bass without boom, best fit and finish of any guitar maker, harder to play cleanly / less forgiving of mistakes.

Martin: Intoxicating and familiar vintage voice, more forgiving to play, way more bass bias, lack of adjustable truss rod means take it or leave it neck relief, very odd skinny to massive neck profile on D-28A 1937.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 12-16-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post

Collings: Louder, way more articulation and cut, more piano like, more modern sound, tight balanced bass without boom, best fit and finish of any guitar maker, harder to play cleanly / less forgiving of mistakes.

Martin: Intoxicating and familiar vintage voice, more forgiving to play, way more bass bias, lack of adjustable truss rod means take it or leave it neck relief, very odd skinny to massive neck profile on D-28A 1937.
Excellent summary.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:55 PM

It would help to know if you play more solo or in group and jam situations. In a solo or duo situation, I would prefer the Martin. With three or more instruments, I would go with the Collings (D1A for me). Another thing to know is if you play more rhythm or lead. Rhythm tones from the Martin D28A family (to me) really are special. All of the Collings dread offerings really poke out to the front in a lead situation.

Everything else just comes down to playability, neck carve, etc.

Drew

Last edited by drew b; 12-16-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
Can anyone shed some light on differences between these two guitars? I'm also curious how they'd compare to their Martin Authentic counterparts, the D18 Authentic and the D28 1937 Authentic?
Regarding the difference between the D2HAT and the D1AT, the main difference is the tonewood used for the back and sides. The former has rosewood, the latter mahogany. Both have solid adirondack tops. In general, rosewood guitars tend toward a complex, overtone-rich sound with an almost metallic shimmer; while mahogany guitars often have a tone that has fewer overtones, is woodier sounding and more fundamentally dominant. Individual guitars of each type can vary in the degree to which they agree with those descriptions.

Regarding the comparison of Collings to Martin, I refer you to Brencat's excellent post above.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-16-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
You should probably sort out whether you prefer the Martin sound or the Collings sound first.

I've heard this mentioned before - can you elaborate on it?
I've not played a Collings (yet) and have wondered about this.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF dad View Post
I've heard this mentioned before - can you elaborate on it?
I've not played a Collings (yet) and have wondered about this.
Ever play a guitar that felt really loose and open, where you press down effortlessly on the string in the middle of, or even way behind the intended fret and still get a nice full rich sound? I call that forgiving playability. Even with a great setup, you can’t play that way on a Collings. You’ll get squawks and other unpleasant sounds if your technique is less than ideal. Their clarity and hi-fi articulation do not allow you to hide such mistakes like you can on guitars with a much warmer and smoother voicing such as Martin/Gibson/Santa Cruz.

I’ve never owned a Collings older than 5 years old to know if they play looser as they age. Maybe I play too sloppily and need to work harder. Collings may not be for me, but I don’t want to dissuade you from trying them. They make an eye popping first impression, I’ll tell you that.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped

Last edited by brencat; 12-16-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:11 PM

I agree with brendan's summary above although I would not say the Collings is less forgiving of mistakes.

The tone difference between Martin and Collings is like night and day. Both are outstanding in their own designed way. That's why you need to have guitars from BOTH manufacturers in your stash!

Play before you buy or be SURE there is an ironclad return guarantee from the seller.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Brendan has it right. I have a custom Collings D1 with a thermo-cured Sitka shade top. All the right stuff. It sounds awesome but it is a very unforgiving guitar to play. Better be where you need to be or it will let you know otherwise. But, they are wonderful guitars. Just a public service announcement?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-16-2018, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Great post, though as someone who owns one I disagree with your opinion on the neck, I find it quite playable and smooth. Not my favorite of all time but certainly among the better one's I've played. Totally subjective I know.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

I currently own a Martin 000-18A authentic and have owned a 000-18 standard and several vintage 00's. I also own a Collings 01 traditional and have owned several standard OM1s as well as an OM1 traditional.

With regards to the Martin vs Collings difference, Brencat's post is spot on.

As far as the forviging vs not forgiving comment...to me the Martins perform very consistently. I find them very relaxing to play, such that even in my off days I am pleased with what they give me. As for my Collings, on my off days I am certainly more aware of my shortcomings. The guitar will let me know. However when I am on, I find the guitars gives me 110% of what I put in. It's hard to describe but it is seriously an amazing thing. It's that extra intangible something , potential extra 10% etc that I have yet to find with anything else. It's truly inspiring and why I adore Collings instruments...and why they remain my favorite guitars.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post

See and hear for yourself the differences between these two superb guitars: the Collings D2H and the Martin D-28 Authentic 1937.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

I should've been more clear in my original post. I already own the Martin's, a D28 1937, D18 A 1937, and a custom D45. I've owned a D1A before but am considering getting a D2HA. I stupidly sold the D1A to fund another purchase. That's why I was considering going D2HA, i've just never been able to play one.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

It’s interesting for me to read the personal opinions on the playability of Collings Guitars. I’m not a “hot” player by a long shot, but find Collings guitars to be the easiest playing guitars I’ve ever owned or played. The necks are extremely comfortable and the fret height/feel is just right for my taste. And the tone or clarity is not unduly compromised by a miscue in my experience..It’s all subjective, so it’s a great idea to form your own opinions on tone and playability.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:21 PM

Thats exactly why I sold my D28A 1937. The neck profile just left me scratching my head. Very thin 1st position, Nothing at all like my D18A 1937.

So I bought a D2HAT and a D1AT, the necks are identical. I love them!. Highly recommended any Collings, especially the Traditonal series.
Best of luck

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion