The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-02-2018, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Default Adjusting Pole Pieces

I now own my first electric guitar, a ten year old Ibanez AM73, previous owner left it stock, no set up. Put in some Ernie Ball nickel wound strings, cleaned up the frets and fretboard, checked and adjusted neck, bridge and intonation. I set the tone adjustments on the amp to the central position and noticed right away how much louder the bass strings were than the rest, rather overpowering. Looking at the pole pieces all sitting there at the same factory height and knowing how inductors work from my time in radio and electronics thought maybe I could set the pickups so the tone knobs would really be neutral at the center position. I downloaded a decibel app for iphone as I don’t trust my old ears so much. I adjusted the pickup as suggested on several websites so the bass side ended up very low and the treble high. Pickup also ended up at a pretty extreme angle, and sound levels were all over on the dB meter. Went to a jazz forum where someone had posted about a Herb Ellis method which basically was to adjust the 1st pole piece (high E) up as close to the string as you can (without string interference with the highest fret held down), then adjust the next pole piece until the volume of the 2nd string matches the first, then compare 2nd to 3rd etc.
I set the pickup to a more neutral position and adjusted per the Herb Ellis method and using the decibel app to compare the sound levels. The 6th pole piece ended up going under the cover a little but was able to get the volumes all pretty darn close on the meter. To my ear the volumes sound very even and compared to a couple acoustics. From an engineering perspective it is calibrated and I like that it is now a neutral palette for me to work with.

I am not an experienced guitarist or a luthier so please comment if you have anything to add.

Last edited by Merak; 12-02-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:46 AM

i believe i would start over without the technical extras. i would start with the pickup all the way down and bring it up until it sounds decent to your ears. this would be with the pole adjustments even. then you can adjust the angle, up and down of the pickup, and, lastly adjust the pole pieces to taste.

note this is all subjective, but, use your ears only.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-02-2018, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I do need to learn to trust my ears, maybe I will play with it again next weekend and see what happens.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:53 PM

The only thing I might add would be to use caution with regard to the proximity of the pickups/poles to the strings, not only due to the possibility of having the string vibrate against it physically, but also because the magnetic field can induce a harmonic node in the speaking length of the string that can mess with intonation and sustain.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 12-02-2018, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i believe i would start over without the technical extras. i would start with the pickup all the way down and bring it up until it sounds decent to your ears. this would be with the pole adjustments even. then you can adjust the angle, up and down of the pickup, and, lastly adjust the pole pieces to taste.

note this is all subjective, but, use your ears only.

play music!
Agreed 100%. You can use a “base” guide such as 2 nickels from bass side pickup to the bottom of your string, and 1 on the treble side if desired. Then adjust to taste. Although, many guitarist prefer their pickups even with the pickup ring or body. To each their own their.

As mentioned, pole pieces (at least to me) should be a last resort. Typically adjusting the entire pickup can bring about the tone you’re searching for. But, if needed, then pole adjustments would be used to “fine tune”.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Well, I put the pole pieces back to original, adjusted bass side to two nickels and treble to one. Sounds fine, levels are reasonably balanced. It was interesting to tinker with it but guess it is only as complicated as one chooses to make it.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merak View Post
Well, I put the pole pieces back to original, adjusted bass side to two nickels and treble to one. Sounds fine, levels are reasonably balanced. It was interesting to tinker with it but guess it is only as complicated as one chooses to make it.
Thanks for the feedback.
even tho it wasn't complicated, it worked for you and that is what counts.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars