The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-21-2018, 11:12 AM

Default Ovation?

Looking to buy a classical/ nylon guitar. Does anyone have experience playing the Ovation Legend?
Old 11-21-2018, 03:03 PM

Isn't the Legend a steel-string model?
Old 11-21-2018, 03:34 PM

They have a nylon model. Maybe its not a legend. Its the only nylon guitar that i see for Ovation.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:43 PM

Its the 1773ax
Old 11-21-2018, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Yes, the Legend is a steel string and is one of my gigging guitars. However, back in the day I did have an Ovie nylon and it was tremendous.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:43 AM

There's lots to consider here, but the bottom line depends on what sound you are looking for out of the guitar.

Are you looking for a gigging plugged in nylon string guitar?

Or are you looking for something with a more classical sound unplugged?

Next comes the questions about neck width preferences;

Do you want something similar to steel string? ie.. crossover style nylon 1.75" at the nut and a radiused fretboard?

Or do the 2 inch width at the nut with a flat fretboard seen on classicals?

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 11-22-2018, 09:23 AM

These are all the things im considering. The wider neck doesnt bother me, i play at local open mics, so i think im leaning towards more of a cross over type guitar.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:22 PM

Then, I suggest you consider looking at the Cordoba Fusion series.... they're great plugged in and have a nice sound unplugged.

Yamaha crossovers are nice amplified, but seem dead to me when played acoustically. Same for the Taylor's

I have zero experience with Ovation nylon string guitars, but was never a fan of the curved backs on their acoustic..
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 11-23-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
Then, I suggest you consider looking at the Cordoba Fusion series.... they're great plugged in and have a nice sound unplugged.

Yamaha crossovers are nice amplified, but seem dead to me when played acoustically. Same for the Taylor's

I have zero experience with Ovation nylon string guitars, but was never a fan of the curved backs on their acoustic..
I like what i see with Cordoba Fusion line, i will have to go try them out.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:45 AM

you will get many, mixed opinions about the Ovation classical and nylon string guitars. I like them. they have some of the most playable necks you can find.

the deep body models: 1113/1613/1713, 1116/1616, long and short scale classical's have a 2" nut. they are very loud and usually at an reasonable price...1/2 k or so. almost all of them will have finish cracks...nature of the beast.

the country artist series 1124/1624 and others have a 25.5 scale length, a 1 7/8 nut and are a crossover type...maybe the first crossover...the most unique feature on these mid-depth bowl guitars is that they retain the flat fret board of the classical rather than going to a radius...not as loud as the classical with a deep bowl but still a nice guitar...same price range.
There are Korean made country artist models too. I know nothing about them.

any used Ovation approaching $1000 or so, better be Dead Mint!, as new.

I have not seen a nylon string Ovation with a warped neck. the tops crack and can get wavy. the guitar should come in a hard Ovation branded case. these chip up with time and wear.

original pick-up's can be scratchy when the knobs are turned...if they work at all.

I'm a fan of nylon string Ovations. these days, they are good value for the money if you are careful.
LoPrinzi model A baritone uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany nui (big baritone) uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany baritone uke
Harmony baritone uke
Old 11-23-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john bange View Post
you will get many, mixed opinions about the Ovation classical and nylon string guitars. I like them. they have some of the most playable necks you can find.

the deep body models: 1113/1613/1713, 1116/1616, long and short scale classical's have a 2" nut. they are very loud and usually at an reasonable price...1/2 k or so. almost all of them will have finish cracks...nature of the beast.

the country artist series 1124/1624 and others have a 25.5 scale length, a 1 7/8 nut and are a crossover type...maybe the first crossover...the most unique feature on these mid-depth bowl guitars is that they retain the flat fret board of the classical rather than going to a radius...not as loud as the classical with a deep bowl but still a nice guitar...same price range.
There are Korean made country artist models too. I know nothing about them.

any used Ovation approaching $1000 or so, better be Dead Mint!, as new.

I have not seen a nylon string Ovation with a warped neck. the tops crack and can get wavy. the guitar should come in a hard Ovation branded case. these chip up with time and wear.

original pick-up's can be scratchy when the knobs are turned...if they work at all.

I'm a fan of nylon string Ovations. these days, they are good value for the money if you are careful.
Thank you for your insight.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:50 PM

Played a few guitars today. I really liked the Cordoba fusion 12 with maple back and sides. Really nice guitar!

Last edited by taggmike; 11-24-2018 at 04:01 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical